Trigger Warning (1 Viewer)

Sorry lads, you're next for the re-education camps

You Can Tell I'm an Ally Because of How Often I Call Myself One

It is very important that cisgender white males like myself take our privilege and use it in service to various communities that need our support. And it is even more important for me to broadcast that fact on every social media platform I own. So let me make this perfectly clear: I am an ally.

has this been posted on thumped yet?

DA7KF07WAAAita0.jpg

Following a debate on FB on this and it's interesting enough, on the one hand there's the question of what happens when the not so woke side of alt-right pricks start organizing together and chanting at, say, black teachers for teaching the liberal agenda.

and on the other there's the fact that America has a tendency to be irredeemably racist in a way that is pretty hard for an Irish person to understand (except maybe if we think about how we treat travellers) and these protests aren't just coming from a place of whiny snowflakism.

Which all gets me thinking about how Ireland is gonna get pretty uncomfortable when people who have spent 18-odd years in Direct Provision come of age and start doing more than writing the occasional Irish Times op ed.

It's impossible for him to disagree with the black people only day on campus for any other reason except racism?

IF he is arguing honestly then what's the problem?

I think the issue is that so much of the alt right now is arguing dishonestly, trolling, and searching for a clever way argue for an outcome without ever expressing the real hateful rhetoric behind it, that it's difficult for the students to always assume good faith on the part of the person they are arguing with.

Take Paul Nuttal's the "Best and brightest of Poland" device as a prime example of this obfuscation and concern trolling.

So the problem is you can't always assume the other person is arguing honestly. And I didn't get a sense of that from the film either. He could be a genuine guy with a genuine opinion who has been landed into a maelstrom of intersectional lunacy...or he could be a habitually racist troll who's playing the whole situation for attention.

Last edited:
Bless.

Edit: in fairness it's not so much a complaint as an observation, but the OMG SNOWFLAKE TRIGGER WARNING LOL story came via breitbart, soooo...

Review: Christopher Nolan's excellent Dunkirk explores heroism in innovative fashion

yes, the line that the writer took offense at is this

The trio of timelines can be jarring as you figure out how they all fit, and the fact that there are only a couple of women and no lead actors of color may rub some the wrong way.

“The Orpheum appreciates feedback on its programming from all members of the mid-south community. The recent screening of Gone With the Wind at the Orpheum on Friday, August 11, 2017, generated numerous comments. The Orpheum carefully reviewed all of them.”

The statement continued, “As an organization whose stated mission is to ‘entertain, educate and enlighten the communities it serves,’ the Orpheum cannot show a film that is insensitive to a large segment of its local population.”

Theater Cancels 'Gone With the Wind' Screening: Film 'Insensitive'

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back