Tramp O Claus (1 Viewer)

on a slightly related note, I couldn't help notice a huge upsurge in the begging population this December. Seems to happen every christmas. I have seen loads of kids begging this month as well. Anyone else notice this?

spiritualtramp said:
on a slightly related note, I couldn't help notice a huge upsurge in the begging population this December. Seems to happen every christmas. I have seen loads of kids begging this month as well. Anyone else notice this?
not down here. the scourge of choice in the capital of shite is millions of yellow jacketed school kids who get off class to stand every 10 meters down each side of partick street, shaking donation boxes in your face. grrr!!! not that I'm giving out about voluntary collections for charity, (esp this time of year) but there are SHITLOADS of these kids EVERYWHERE. when you donate you get a sticker of course.. giving you temporary invulnerability. but the adhesive on the sticker is so weak and unsticky that it falls off your jacket ten seconds afterward leaving you vulnerable for the yellow jacket people to prey on again.. aargh!

magnetize said:
The official number of homeless people in Ireland has increased from 5,234 to 5,581 since 1999.

http://www.focusireland.org/campaign.php?UID=1
yes, but I don't honestly believe that all these people I've seen on the street this month are really homeless. they seem to crawl out of the woodwork every December to take advantage of the christmas shopping crowds. I have no problem with homeless people begging but I do take great offense at people pretending to be homeless.

spiritualtramp said:
yes, but I don't honestly believe that all these people I've seen on the street this month are really homeless. they seem to crawl out of the woodwork every December to take advantage of the christmas shopping crowds. I have no problem with homeless people begging but I do take great offense at people pretending to be homeless.
yeah.. same here. when I lived in dublin, I became casually acquainted with a "tapper" who I used to meet on buses etc. and lived near me in the 'core. one night I was on thomas st. walking home with a few mates and he came up trying to tap fags and money off us. we didn't have any. hence the walking home. anyway we were chatting away to him and he was telling us how much cash he made begging down in temple bar before some "cunt cops" moved him on. it was lots.. according to him a lot of people begging weren't homeless at all. then he flagged down a cab (!) and went home!

people who send out their kids to beg on the street are the lowest of the lot. I read that there was a big clampdown on this during the year, but I dunno cos I don't visit dublin very often.

spiritualtramp said:
yes it's like walking the gauntlet of guilt, from where I work
'earlsfort terrace' to the quays to get me bus, and I can't
tell who's genuine and who's not and it's freezing and I feel awful
for them.

Their outside the national concert hall for the christmas performances,
during the year there's never any beggars there.

plug said:
people who send out their kids to beg on the street are the lowest of the lot. I read that there was a big clampdown on this during the year, but I dunno cos I don't visit dublin very often.
yeah, seeing kids beg really upsets me. What kind of a childhood is that? I wouldn't give them a penny. They are not some poor Tiny Tim like orphans, they just come from fucked up families and the money will go straight to the nearest offie/drug dealer to fuel their "parents" habits.

I think the reason I am noticing all the kids this month is due to the fact that I haven't seen many this year cos of the clampdown.

If someone finds themselves in a position where they are willing to sit in the freezing cold being looked down on by people who arent' sure if they are really homeless or not, begging from people who are out spending hundreds of Euro on crap for family and friends that they probably won't even like anyway I really don't resent them that. Whether or not they are homeless, pretending to be homeless, or just on the blag, they can't be in a very good position can they?

You can't blame other people for how you feel, if you don't want to give them money then don't. If you don't trust whether or not the poor beggars are homeless or not, then give the money to Focus, Simon or Merchant's Quay.

Not trying to be mean here, is just mah 'pinion.

aoifed said:
If you don't trust whether or not the poor beggars are homeless or not, then give the money to Focus, Simon or Merchant's Quay.

Not trying to be mean here, is just mah 'pinion.
nah, you're not really. donating to the charity is probably a much better idea. in fact a friend works in the simon here in cork and he basically said as much to me some time back. at least that way, your donation will probably go toward a more positive end..

aoifed said:
If someone finds themselves in a position where they are willing to sit in the freezing cold being looked down on by people who arent' sure if they are really homeless or not, begging from people who are out spending hundreds of Euro on crap for family and friends that they probably won't even like anyway I really don't resent them that.
well I tend to resent anyone that uses their children as sympathy pawns for booze money. There are actually plenty of jobs a lot less cushy and less well paid than sitting on your arse on the street for a few hours but people still do them.

aoifed said:
Whether or not they are homeless, pretending to be homeless, or just on the blag, they can't be in a very good position can they?
yeah, I'm sure they have fucked up lives and all. They can fuck off if they think I'm giving them any money though.

You weren't being mean, and you are 100% right about giving money to homeless charities instead.

that film scared the shit out of me when i was a kid

have you any idea how many men with swallows tattood on their hands there were in dublin in the 70's???

pete said:
that film scared the shit out of me when i was a kid

have you any idea how many men with swallows tattood on their hands there were in dublin in the 70's???

Right, I was having this conversation with someone in work yesterday about that very same thing.

What did the swallow mean? It's prison code for something, I know that. But what?

One of the girls here said she reckoned the DOT on the face meant your partner was in prison, but I can't see how that would work.

What do all those tats mean? Any idea?

the dot is a borstal mark, as far as I know.

Goff said:
Right, I was having this conversation with someone in work yesterday about that very same thing.

What did the swallow mean? It's prison code for something, I know that. But what?

One of the girls here said she reckoned the DOT on the face meant your partner was in prison, but I can't see how that would work.

What do all those tats mean? Any idea?

that movie was dead scary. i seem to have a memory imprinted in my mind of a scary woman with black horn-rimmed spectacles. usen't rte throw it on on Paddy's Day too sometimes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back