Tour de France 2007 thread (2 Viewers)

Vlasov has been great this season winning stage races in Valencia, Romandie and a few other near misses - 3rd in Basque Country and Fleche Wallonne
also he took the lead in the Tour de Suisse after winning a stage but couldn't start the next day due to Covid.
He's currently in 8th place but they were hoping for a bit more from him .
they took Danny Van Poppel but told him he's on his own in the sprints.
thats more it. Vlasov's early season form surprised them so they were left with a choice between building a team around him, or building one around Sam (cos they can't do both). Sam's form was probably a factor for sure, though the sprint field isn't exactly that hot either (Cavendish was left home too), but for whatever reason, GC won out.

goddamn... Pidcock is a very good bike handler.

I mean, we knew this I suppose. Just railing these descents.

goddamn... Pidcock is a very good bike handler.

I mean, we knew this I suppose. Just railing these descents.
holy fuck.

Did not see today coming either, even watching him on that descent. How on earth Froome got relevant again takes a bit of thinking.

really? I felt it's just started being a contest.

Amazing stage though. They were teeing off on him mercilessly... they must have smelled the blood in the water.
A big come down - today's stage was boring. I was really tired and fell asleep watching Alpe d'Huez this evening. when I woke up I realised nothing much had happened and didn't go back to see the few km I had missed.

at the start only two teams were capable of winning the Tour and by far the strongest team Jumbo Visma has a 2 minute lead on Pogacar who was the only other contender besides Roglic and Vingegaard.
unless Vingegaard get sick or crashes it's over for GC.
don't worry - if I am wrong I will happily admit it.

So much for @rettucs talk of Pinot showing up today. Pidcock is a character though.
Pinot had less juice in him than a 10-year old Varta battery. I'd say his efforts the other day cost him badly and he's regretting it, but he'd have struggled to live with the brit, who can now add 'climber' to his list of talents (me hole). Watching him descending was a joy. Juice doesn't help bike handling.

Bernard Labourdette (1946 - 20 July 2022)
Labourdette turned pro w/ Poulidor's Mercier team in 1968 and had his best years at Bic from 1971-74.
He finished 8th and won a stage in the 1971 Tour and helped Ocana win the 1973 Tour.
After eight Tours and four Vueltas, Labourdette retired in 1977.

Vlasov by consistency is in a good position on GC. while he kept getting dropped he never had a bad day like Adam Yates or Bardet had.

usually when Eurosport go to the post stage pundits, I switch over to TG4 because they keep the French TV feed going until it goes off air.
Fabio Jakobsen made the time cut yesterday by less than 20 seconds a load of Quickstep folks including Senechal were on the line waiting for him.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

30 years ago today Stephen Roche took his final Tour stage in the mists of the Massif Central

one of the most famous 90's Tour stages a few days before; Stevo's Carrera leader Chiappucci went on the rampage w/ a 240 km break to Sestriere:

poor auld LeMond.
Franco Vona (11th on GC) was second on this stage and previous day. he had finished 6th and won two stages in the 1992 Giro but he spent his best days a gregario to Bugno. as a Giro programme once said ''How good was Vona? We just don't know''.

meant to post this a week ago - stage 12 1982 Tour 15/7/22 but couldn't find footage
Kelly won into Pau in 1982 after going through the Pyrenees. there was a crit style finishing loop and Kelly nailed Hinault in a sprint of 15-20 lads.

So I take it Pogacar doesn't have the best juice any more?
they've switched to the sauce now.
Sunny D Brailsford has really gone out of fashion.

the speed of the Tour has been insane. everyday was frantic despite the heat, a more difficult parcours than boring routes in the Indurain/Lance days.
reminds me of the end of the tail end of the 80's and early 90's when the speed shot up hugely year on year.

I've watched 2 stages this year, both in the alps. Just can't make myself take interest in it given the absolute circus thats being going on. And people are praising it as one of the best tours in years. My hole. Its fucking riddled. Yesterday we had a classics rider drop last year's winner on the Hautacam. My fucking hole. These cunts are dirty as they come and someone needs to do a job on them.

I've been to the Hautacam. Its a beaut of a climb. Classic riders should not be dropping so-called climbers on it.

its a good day when bad things happen to Astana

pricks blocked me on twitter years ago when I called them out on their bollox. I've been waiting for the implosion ever since

I've watched 2 stages this year, both in the alps. Just can't make myself take interest in it given the absolute circus thats being going on. And people are praising it as one of the best tours in years. My hole. Its fucking riddled. Yesterday we had a classics rider drop last year's winner on the Hautacam. My fucking hole. These cunts are dirty as they come and someone needs to do a job on them.

I've been to the Hautacam. Its a beaut of a climb. Classic riders should not be dropping so-called climbers on it.
we probably shouldn't be watching this at this stage.
- some people gave up when Riis won, some in 1998, some when Lance won the first mountain stage in 1999.

I have no idea what Jumbo Visma must be on??? it's crazy to see the things Van Aert has done.
he must have put in huge attacks on nearly 10 stages. Van Aert physically doesn't remotely look like a climber.

unless public prosecutors and the cops get involved again nothing is going to change.
the cartel of the UCI, ASO, very dodgy sponsors, GCN and other unquestioning media mean things are far worse than the 90's and 2000's.

It's like when EPO came in again.

EDIT: Astana have been very quiet this season. they're in decline for a long time, a shadow of what they once were.

I'm starting to wonder if its getting so ridiculous that they might throw someone under the bus to make it look like they're making an effort. That Astana lad won't cut it. They need to cull a big name to salvage the sport I reckon. Vinnegaard might fit the bill, though having a Danish winner is probably preferable to them than having a Slovenian, so maybe one of those.

I'm starting to wonder if its getting so ridiculous that they might throw someone under the bus to make it look like they're making an effort. That Astana lad won't cut it. They need to cull a big name to salvage the sport I reckon. Vinnegaard might fit the bill, though having a Danish winner is probably preferable to them than having a Slovenian, so maybe one of those.
I wonder if a Danish lad has won it before...

I wonder if a Danish lad has won it before...
and he never tested postive!
Kimmage finished ahead of him in the 89 Giro, funnily enough I don't think Paul realised that until long after Mr. 60% had retired.

Vingegaard's average speed was a record 42.03 km per hour. 3,328 km in just 79:33:20.
to ride the whole Tour in under 80 hours - never thought I would see that.

Vlasov got 5th on GC in the end despite finishing nearly 16 minutes down. Bora won't have any regrets about
not bringing a sprint train.

A horrendous crash took Marta Cavalli (2nd at the recent Giro) out of the Tour on stage 2.
she seemed to have avoided a bad crash and was almost at a stand still when Aussie champ Nicole Frain, paying no attention, ploughed into her at full speed, Cavalli got thrown into the air and landed on her head and back. somehow she got back on her bike before abandoning.
this is brutal @ 1:38-1:55 so be warned.

and he never tested postive!
Kimmage finished ahead of him in the 89 Giro, funnily enough I don't think Paul realised that until long after Mr. 60% had retired.

Vingegaard's average speed was a record 42.03 km per hour. 3,328 km in just 79:33:20.
to ride the whole Tour in under 80 hours - never thought I would see that.

Vlasov got 5th on GC in the end despite finishing nearly 16 minutes down. Bora won't have any regrets about
not bringing a sprint train.

A horrendous crash took Marta Cavalli (2nd at the recent Giro) out of the Tour on stage 2.
she seemed to have avoided a bad crash and was almost at a stand still when Aussie champ Nicole Frain, paying no attention, ploughed into her at full speed, Cavalli got thrown into the air and landed on her head and back. somehow she got back on her bike before abandoning.
this is brutal @ 1:38-1:55 so be warned.

it was a shit tour for sprinters. I'd imagine Sam is a bit relieved about it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back