Tour de France 2007 thread (3 Viewers)

Speaking of LeMond there's another documentary on him coming.
The Last Rider trailer dropped a couple of days ago.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

surely this has mostly been covered before? but someone winning the Tour clean (in '86 anyway) seems more important than ever now.
I don't find the '89 Tour win plausible solely because of the final TT. Yeah, it was unusually short 24.5 km but even after Lance was nailed it was still the fastest Tour TT.
Everything else adds up with Greg but not that.

never saw that site before.
Kelly's first stage win in 1978.
in a break he beats several top riders:
Gerrie Knetemann (RIP) Dutch legend who became world champ shortly after. great TT and classics man.
Sven Ake Nilsson - a Swede who finished in top ten on the Tour and podium in Vuelta.
Jos Bruyere - a loyal domestique of Merckx who won Liege that year.

Kelly's boss Freddy Martens (Vert) crashes afterwards and wasn't happy with a Renault team mate of Hinault...
the site name is from an old Kelly quote.

1. // Family does not come first. The bike does.Sean Kelly, being interviewed after the ’84 Amstel Gold Race, spots his wife leaning against his Citroën AX. He interrupts the interview to tell her to get off the paintwork, to which she shrugs, “In your life the car comes first, then the bike, then me.” Instinctively, he snaps back, “You got the order wrong. The bike comes first.”21

Domingo Perurena (1943 - 8 June 2023)
A pro from 1966-79 Basque rider Txomin Perurena won well over a hundred races and was described as Spain's most popular rider in the 1970's.
He won 12 Vuelta stages and the 1974 Tour mountains prize (no Tour stages though - which was his big regret) and two Giro stages. Txomin was strongly associated the KAS team riding with them from 1970-78.
Despite usually winning in sprints, Txomin finished in the top 6 on the Vuelta four times inc. 2nd in 1975.
He finished 22 of the 24 grand tours he rode.

After racing he became a DS with many teams until 1997 inc. Euskadi.
He won the Vuelta w/ Lejarreta (1982) and Delgado in 1985 when Perico turned a 6 minute plus deficit into a 36 second victory over Millar on the 2nd last stage.
In 1982 Angel Arroyo was stripped of victory several days after the Vuelta ended after he and several other top Spanish riders tested positive for Ritalin and Lejarreta was given the victory.

In a very interesting interview w/ Perurena in the late 2010s in Rouleur magazine, he mentioned his brother Vincent being murdered in 1984. When Vincent and another ETA member came back from France to watch an Athletic Bilbao v Real Sociedad Cup match they were shot dead in an ambush by GAL a state sponsored militia made up of police.

Renato Longo (1937 - 8 June 2023)
Was five times cyclo cross World Champion.

EDIT: fixed some typos and added more info.

Last edited:
major French women's stage race Tour des Pyrenees* has been called off on final stage after numerous safety issues over several days. this included cars driving on to the course. (*similar to Route de Sud or whatever that is called now).

I was following this race- it had a strong field w/ Marta Cavalli yesterday taking her first win since that appalling accident she suffered in Tour de France last year

major French women's stage race Tour des Pyrenees* has been called off on final stage after numerous safety issues over several days. this included cars driving on to the course. (*similar to Route de Sud or whatever that is called now).

I was following this race- it had a strong field w/ Marta Cavalli yesterday taking her first win since that appalling accident she suffered in Tour de France last year

I wasn't following it but I did see the announcement by the Israel team that they were pulling out due to safety concerns.

this is bad. Very bad.

I wasn't following it but I did see the announcement by the Israel team that they were pulling out due to safety concerns.

this is bad. Very bad.
the excuses offered by organisers were basically that this level of safety is normal in pro women's races.
yet another equality battle still to be fought and won for women cyclists.

Darren Rafferty is 2nd on GC in the baby Giro tonight after finishing 3rd on the 4th etapa on the Stelvio.

After 12th on the opening TT and on stage 2 Rafferty was in a break won by Quickstep rider Gelders who attacked from the trio. Darren and the other guy got caught by peloton close to the line.

Holy shit

Awful day.
I didn't see the Tour de Suisse yesterday and only heard after catching end of today's stage in Slovenia.
Ide Schelling was crying waiting to go to podium after he was told.

Brings in to focus the risks the riders take on every descent. Ciccone took huge risks on the way to a spectacular Dauphine stage win on Sunday. Gino's team mate Matej Mohoric landed on his head on a descent a couple of years ago and was somehow OK.

Surprised to learn Gino Mader was a trackie to begin with but he grew up in the mountains and was a very good climber on the road.
Mader did a good debut grand tour in 2020 (20th in the Vuelta) and the first time I saw him come close to winning was in Paris-Nice 2021. Gino would have won any other day but was caught in the closing metres by Roglic who went on the rampage.
After that Gino was a regular fixture in the mountains. 2021 was a superb year with a Giro breakaway stage win and 5th overall in the Vuelta taking the young riders prize.
I really enjoyed watching Gino (especially in breakaways) he was special.
RIP.

Two men I know (both in 70s) have died this week and that was hard enough to take.

Antonio Jimenez Quiles (1934 - 15 June 2023)
Jimenez finished 2nd in his debut Vuelta aged 20 (youngest rider in race) but had a quiet career after that apart from a 1958 Vuelta stage win.

better news...
Darren Rafferty has finished 2nd in the Baby Giro. He's will be 20 on 1 July
I caught the end of 2023 Baby Giro / Giro Next Gen highlights on Eurosport earlier.
It was listed as 'Giro 2023 highlights' and is listed again at 9 pm tonight on Eurosport 1.

Sorry I didn't mention this earlier

I caught the end of 2023 Baby Giro / Giro Next Gen highlights on Eurosport earlier.
It was listed as 'Giro 2023 highlights' and is listed again at 9 pm tonight on Eurosport 1.

Sorry I didn't mention this earlier
this is great. Being with that team I presume he's with the McQuaid, Trinity cycling stable, as per Eddie Dunbar. Rafferty will be with EF/Sky in no time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back