Tour de France 2007 thread (2 Viewers)

a chap i know cycles with castleknock cycling club. he was saying there are often groans when orla wlash accompanies her dad to their spins. a 'there goes the chance of a nice easy cycle' sort of groan.
did you see the guardian article from a couple of years ago about how women are starting to take over in some ultra endurance events? as in win them outright?
No, I didn't see that. I have heard about it happening the odd time over the last few years. Those ultra-endurance events are.... a bit curious.... Nutjob central.

Orla Walsh is the pedalingheroine one off Instagram? I followed her a few years ago but got kind of bored when she turned into an influencer social-media machine. She's clearly a very talented cyclist, but it beggars belief the amount of people who follow her relative to her relative lack of success. Compare her to Cecile Ludwig, Demi Vollering or even Anna Van Der Breggan, who is arguably the best female cyclist in the world atm. I guess I will never understand social meda.

that's her. GCN+ did a doc about her, she certainly came off as media savvy in it.

this is the guardian article in question. i had a chuckle about the theory that the reason why a much greater proportion of women finish these events, is down to them being more sensible.

that's her. GCN+ did a doc about her, she certainly came off as media savvy in it.

this is the guardian article in question. i had a chuckle about the theory that the reason why a much greater proportion of women finish these events, is down to them being more sensible.

I was wondering if Emily Chappell would get a mention. She wrote a couple of books that are well worth checking out.

it mentions the spine race at the start - that she beat the fastest man by 15 hours. that chap is an occasional poster on the cycling forum on boards. he'd won it outright a couple of years earlier.

Surprised we haven't seen more stories like this over the last few weeks

I love this bit

"I don’t know what kind of suspicions there are. We are following the work of last year and Rod Ellingworth, he taught us a lot and I can be 110 per cent sure that we’re working by the rules. I don’t need to explain to anybody. We have the same doping controls as other teams, maybe more, I don’t know. And if anyone comes to us for doping control we are always open about that."

Shades of 'Lance never failed a test' about it. Thats the thing though - these teams genuinely believe this bullshit. Blood-transfusions, micro-dosing, TUEs - if its not being caught in doping controls then these teams believe they're operating within the rules.

And don't even get me started on motor-doping.

And that, folks, is cycling in a nutshell.

another Spanish cycling star of the 60's passed away yesterday. someone one I did know this time:
Antonio Gomez del Moral (1939 - 14 July 2021)
He was a three time stage winner who rode 12 Vueltas finishing in the top 10 five times (starting 19 GT Tours in total) . He also won a Giro stage and his best finish in his five Tours de France was 11th in 1966.
plus he was born in Cabra! (Andalusia).

Dan Martin's storming effort today reminded me of uncle Stephen's last mountain summit finish in the Pyrenees in 1993.
stage 16 1993 Tour de France 230km -
the winning time was 7 hours 21minutes (31 kph) so much for 60% on EPO!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

great commentary by David Duffield (1931-2016)
also starring surprise package Zenon Jaskula, Indurain, Rominger, Robert Millar (5th on stage also in his final Tour), shoulda been a superstar Colombian Alvaro Mejia, Hampsten, Chiapucci, young Virenque, Bruyneel, Riis.
stage result:
@49:35 spare a thought for Antonio Martin (1970-1994) - The 23 year old Spanish lad finished 12th in his debut grand tour aged 23. He beat Virenque and Zulle to win the young riders prize (there was no white jersey during the 90's). Antonio Martin (in the purple and pink Amaya kit) signed for Banesto for 1994 after Amaya folded
In early 1994 he died after being hit by a truck when out training.
In one the worst mistakes ever in cycling journalism a Cyclesport article on the white jersey being reintroduced forgot he was dead and disparagingly compared him to a Tour winner -
''....or just another Antonio Martin''.

For fuck sake.

Why THE FUCK did Mohorič roll across the line doing the official Lance Armstrong zipped lips "I'm doping/omerta" gesture?

Oh right, the doping.

Well done.

I mean, is there any other interpretation at all? That gesture was an intentional reference to omerta / LA right?

For fuck sake.

Why THE FUCK did Mohorič roll across the line doing the official Lance Armstrong zipped lips "I'm doping/omerta" gesture?

Oh right, the doping.

Well done.

I mean, is there any other interpretation at all? That gesture was an intentional reference to omerta / LA right?
haha hilarious, see the link I posted above about the police raids. That was his team.

haha hilarious, see the link I posted above about the police raids. That was his team.
yeah... the old let's piss everyone off as much as possible tactic. When has that ever backfired.

I've been watching LA's podcast thing, I think he might have had a glass of wine or is starting to really give less of a fuck these days, but every now and again you get to see glimpses of the guy. He was talking about Pogacar, yesterday him and Bruyneel both agreed he needed to stop taking the piss and obliterating everyone so badly as it's going to end poorly for him. Seemingly JB / Hincapie were telling LA to stop driling it so hard and destroying the place regularly, because it's looking really bad. Everyone agreed things looked terrible.

Today it's the zipped lips, ON THE LINE, where you're guaranteed every camera is on you.

Dumb. Fucks.

That gesture today made me go and look at the clinic for the first time in years. While I was there I noticed this thread

Check out the last few posts. Things gonna get interesting for Sam. My god though is that LeFevere some absolute cunt. I'd love if Sam just went full whistleblower on it and took down the whole fucking sport .

I only watched last 20-30 km of stage. I didn't see what happened early on so I thought Quickstep must have tried to control the race for Cav and it didn't work out.
No actually, Cyclingnews report on stage 19: ''DQS never looked interested in chasing ''
one more chance to beat Merckx's record before the best sprinters are back.
I wonder how many stages Morkov would have won if he had the DQS team backing him instead.

Cav is a paranoid about his bike all the time. is there a term for someone who is a hypochondriac about their bike?

when Matej Mohoric landed on his head in the Giro after crashing on a descent at high speed, he was just concussed and didn't have a mark on him. so maybe just doesn't give a fuck about the police?!
they probably listen to NWA every morning on the Bahrain Victorious bus to get psyched up! a couple of them will do gang vocals and depending where they are shout 'French' between 'fuck the' and 'police'.

Their rider from Donetsk Mark Padun who won two stages in the Dauphine was good fun though. he seemed to relish the idea of being the men's Cecile Uttrup-Ludwig

I thought when a French president arrived at the UCI more dopers might start getting caught again but nothing. only the legal people seem to have any success and the riders usually have to take the blame for everything.

EDITED several minor typos mistakes related joke paragraph about Mohoric

Last edited:
Yeah - Eddy was a very bad loser as well! Barry Hoban called him "the biggest cry baby in the business". Eddy didn't finish second often though.
funnily enough, Merckx was allegedly much the same, tormenting mechanics. Nothing was straight the first time, or possibly ever, it just reached a state of being less unacceptable.
I've heard that about him checking bikes over like that.
If you look at the brilliant film about the 1976 Paris - Roubaix, Sunday In Hell, they are rolling out when the road is blocked by a protest of newspaper printers who are losing their jobs due to automation (Le Parisien I think - 'cause it sponsored the race)
When the race is held up Eddy starts fiddling with bike and has a mechanic do something with it.
I'd say this was par the course for Merckx.
Either that or Eddy Merckx bikes weren't up to much.

i think that was as a result of the bad crash he had on track - that he never quite felt comfy on a bike again and reckoned it was down to positioning so would constantly play with saddle height etc. but never get it right.

i think that was as a result of the bad crash he had on track - that he never quite felt comfy on a bike again and reckoned it was down to positioning so would constantly play with saddle height etc. but never get it right.
Eddy broke his pelvis in a track accident in 1969 where his Madison partner in the race was killed. Eddy suffered chronic pain ever since which mostly explains his weight in the last few decades.

I never put that all together before but Eddy often says his career was easy up until the accident but he just had to manage a lot of pain on the bike after that.
I figured that DQS didn't chase the stage today because they wanted to set up the big 'break the records on the Champs Elysee' job
Haha. Why not have tried to win today anyway??
Remember the time Mark Renshaw was leading out Cav on the Champs and they were first and second so far ahead that Cav was genuinely disappointed he didn't realize he could have let his mate win.
I would have tried to win today and set up Morkov for the win on Sunday - serious.
They only have beat Van Alert, Colbrelli (never won a GT stage), Matthews and is Philipsen still there ? So it would be doable with with Morkov.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back