Tour de France 2007 thread (2 Viewers)

if we go on current form, ag2r would only be sending barrodeur's to the race

Dan is 25 so if he wants to look at the top 10, he has plenty of time to do so so i'd agree stage wins are a much better target.

shit ! i remember you saying that i thought you were wasting your money. i thought he would be top 10 at best.
still he some work to do to get level with Bauer ! (great rider and a good guy)..

i have to say respect to Cavendish for staying in the race and going for the points jersey - Rodriguez beat him by one point.
getting no points in the two sprints he crashed in and being beaten by Guardini on the final Thursday blew it.

Nibali would have won easily if he had ridden.

Pozzovivo is another 'wins mountain stages only' kind of rider but that's enough isn't it ?

yeah , i agree Liquigas wasted themselves riding on the front and Basso couldn't do more than follow the wheel of the top guys.

there's a lot of good Belgian climbers now Van den Broeck, Monfort, Vanendert etc. and De Gendt. big change from the days when things were so thin that say Wim Van Huffel caused excitement.
Bruyneel was the last Belgian to finish on a GT podium in the 1995 Vuelta and i think you've got to go back to Pollentier or Van Impe before that.

also want to give a mention to one of my faves and the guy with my current favourite cycling name Johann Tschopp (BMC) (Tschopp! Tschopp !).
never afraid of a mountain breakaway he took a memorable Giro stage plus the Cima Coppi prize in 2010. (some people thought he should have let Simoni get to the Gavia summit first, as it was his final Giro but why should he have ? there was a huge prize of €30,000 or something for it).
Tschopp finished 16th last year and was never far off the best in the mountains finishing 14th this time when there was little between a lot of riders tightly packed on GC.
he 's strongly opposed to doping and also refuses to throw bottles on the side of the road ( he comes from the mountains where they might not get picked up).

and finally Tanel Kangert (Astana) wins the best new name award.

i have to say respect to Cavendish for staying in the race and going for the points jersey - Rodriguez beat him by one point.
getting no points in the two sprints he crashed in and being beaten by Guardini on the final Thursday blew it.

sky had wanted guardini kicked off the race in mountains for holding onto cars. well he finally was but too late. one of 4 riders they kicked off the race on saturday.

there's a lot of good Belgian climbers now Van den Broeck, Monfort, Vanendert etc. and De Gendt. big change from the days when things were so thin that say Wim Van Huffel caused excitement.
Bruyneel was the last Belgian to finish on a GT podium in the 1995 Vuelta and i think you've got to go back to Pollentier or Van Impe before that.

though another belgian, seeldrayers after his giro young rider has seemed to have settled into a domestique role.

also want to give a mention to one of my faves and the guy with my current favourite cycling name Johann Tschopp (BMC) (Tschopp! Tschopp !).
never afraid of a mountain breakaway he took a memorable Giro stage plus the Cima Coppi prize in 2010. (some people thought he should have let Simoni get to the Gavia summit first, as it was his final Giro but why should he have ? there was a huge prize of €30,000 or something for it).
Tschopp finished 16th last year and was never far off the best in the mountains finishing 14th this time when there was little between a lot of riders tightly packed on GC.
he 's strongly opposed to doping and also refuses to throw bottles on the side of the road ( he comes from the mountains where they might not get picked up).

i do like tschopp. he's not afraid to attack for stage wins. shame last friday wasn't one of them (we have a competition on another forum for the stage picks. he was mine on last friday)

also think this year the top 15 were within 20 minutes, last year (even with contador's exclusion), the top 12 only within 20 minutes on the overall.

and finally Tanel Kangert (Astana) wins the best new name award.
bob jungles with the leopard continental team has a great name too ;)

Cadel looking good in the Dauphine. Wiggo lying low so far. Andy bluffing (I reckon) by being shit, but apparently having an excuse to be so. The most puzzling thing of all is the absolutely indifferent form of Phil Gilbert. Most disappointing.

I'm fast becoming a fan of Amadour. Hes shaping up to be another Tommy Voeckler, attacking when it makes absolutely no sense to do so, and going in breaks day after day.

Cadel looking good in the Dauphine. Wiggo lying low so far. Andy bluffing (I reckon) by being shit, but apparently having an excuse to be so. The most puzzling thing of all is the absolutely indifferent form of Phil Gilbert. Most disappointing.

I'm fast becoming a fan of Amadour. Hes shaping up to be another Tommy Voeckler, attacking when it makes absolutely no sense to do so, and going in breaks day after day.

sky have fairly bossed it all week, you would have to fancy wiggins for the tour now?

http://www.theonion.com/articles/lance-armstrong-wants-to-tell-nation-something-but,17973/

Lance Armstrong Wants To Tell Nation Something But Nation Has To Promise Not To Get Mad

TS-Lance-Armstrong-R_jpg_635x345_crop-smart_upscale_q85.jpg

AUGUST 27, 2010 | ISSUE 46•51 ISSUE 46•34

DALLAS—Saying that it would probably be best if everyone sat down for this, seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong informed the U.S. populace Thursday that he wanted to tell it something, but that the nation first had to promise it wouldn't get angry once he did.

"Look, I'm not going to sugarcoat this. It's bad," Armstrong said during the nationally televised press conference. "But you have to swear to God that you won't get mad when I tell you, because if you get upset and yell about how you're really disappointed I'm just going to walk out of here."

"Okay?" Armstrong continued. "You guys promise?"

Armstrong then took a deep breath, massaged his forehead, murmured "Oh boy, here we go," and appeared for several moments to be on the verge of telling the nation his news. He seemed to lose his focus, however, commenting that it wasn't as if anything he was about to say would diminish the fact that he beat cancer or that his foundation has donated more than $250 million to cancer research.

In addition, Armstrong said the American people had to promise that, following his announcement, they would resist the urge to remove their Livestrong bracelets and throw them away or burn them.

"Okay, there's no easy way to put this, but, well, you guys know how I won a record seven consecutive Tours de France between 1999 and 2005?" said Armstrong, who took a sip of water as his hand visibly shook. "Well, this has to do with that. It also has to do with this impending federal investigation of my cycling team. What it absolutely does not have anything to do with is the fact that I am an inspiration to cancer sufferers worldwide—cancer sufferers who could potentially experience serious physical and emotional setbacks if you break your promise and get mad at me."

Throughout the preamble to his announcement, onlookers reported getting the impression that Armstrong felt some need to defend what he was about to tell the country. The world's most successful cyclist spent almost 25 minutes telling the nation that, as a top-level international athlete, one has to do certain things to remain competitive; that he has no regrets; and that, given the chance to live his life again, he would do everything again the same way.

Armstrong also repeatedly mentioned that he had beaten cancer.

"You have to understand—in the high-pressure world of competitive cycling, it's all about getting any advantage you can," Armstrong said. "And if we were being realistic, we'd have to admit that everyone in cycling was trying to get an advantage. So, in a way, if we were all trying to get the same advantage, then the playing field was still completely equal. So I was still the best. It makes sense when you look at it that way. And nothing I am about to tell you changes that. So, when I'm finished saying what I have to say, you all have to promise to still adore me."

"In fact, if you don't still adore me, and you suddenly get all huffy and say that I wasn't really a hero all these years, you are in the wrong here, not me," Armstrong added. "You. Not me."

Armstrong then stood, paced back and forth for a moment, shook his head, and returned to the microphone.

"You guys are not making this easy for me, that's for damn sure," he said. "This really shouldn't be hard. Because it's actually not even really that big of a deal. At all. Frankly, I don't even know why I'm here right now."

Armstrong reiterated for a fifth and sixth time that he had beaten cancer.

"Okay, here goes," Armstrong said. "Um, in the late '90s and early 2000s, I took, um… You see, in order to give myself a better chance of winning, I… Yes, there were instances during the Tour when…"

"You know what? I forgot what I was going to say," Armstrong added. "Sorry. I feel like an idiot. Have a nice afternoon."

10 pro cyclists as witnesses, apparently. currently undisclosed identities - possibly to protect them from getting lanced.
significant that they've gone for dr ferrari as well, he basically invented blood doping for moser in the early 80s

10 pro cyclists as witnesses, apparently. currently undisclosed identities - possibly to protect them from getting lanced.
significant that they've gone for dr ferrari as well, he basically invented blood doping for moser in the early 80s

the biggest thing in the charges to them is that the trafficking of illegal substances and administration to others of these

this is from the wall street journal http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/armstrongcharging0613.pdf
page 10 is the charges against Armstrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back