Top 5 books you read in 2005 (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter IFF
  • Start date
  • Replies 27
  • Views 3K
  • Watchers 4

IFF

yes another poll

this time, what are the top 5 books you read last year. it doesn't matter whether they were released in 2005 or in 1805 or any other year.

no re-reads allowed though no one would know if you were re-reading them

1. God's Debris - Scott Adams
2. One hundread years of solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez (started in septmber 04 but only finished in june 05 due to a small thing like my final year exams in college)
3. Portrait of the Artist as a young man - James Joyce
4. American Desert - Percival Everitt
5. One more kilometer and we're in the showers: memoirs of a cyclist - Tim Hilton

- william s burroughs: "the cat inside"
- neil gaimen: "coraline"
- albert de routisce: "le con d'Irene"
- august strindberg: "inferno / from an occult diary"
- daniel pinchbeck: "breaking open the head

The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen (Marvellous. Haven't been so pissed off about finishing a book in quite a while.)

Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace (Took a while to get through but was well worth it.)

Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell (Totally ace despite worrying Richard & Judy endorsement.)

Palomar - Gilbert Hernandez (Check this out if you like Gabriel Marcia Marquez at all. As good as, IMO.)

The Curse of Lono - Hunter S. Thompson (Gorgeous new Taschen edition with full colour Ralph Steadman artwork. Deadly.)

i don't think i finished a single book last year... started a few, but lost interest / forgot / too busy to finish them...

i've just started The Plot Against America by Philip Roth, so here's hoping this year will be different....

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. between having finals in English, spending a summer going 'weeee! I can read for pleasure again!' and starting a masters in English, I read about 60 books this year. (I kept a list. call me a nerd.) can I pick 5 authors instead? okay.

Don DeLillo - White Noise

Paul Auster - New York Trilogy / Brooklyn Follies

Inga Muscio - Cunt / Autobiography of a Blue-Eyed Devil

Margaret Atwood - Oryx and Crake / The Robber Bride

Jeanette Winterson - The Passion

with honorable mentions to:
Jonathan Franzen - How To Be Alone
Bill Bryson - A Short History of Nearly Everything
Desmond Morris - The Human Zoo
Richard Dawkins - The Devil's Chaplain
Maxine Hong Kingston - The Woman Warrior.
TS Eliot - The Waste Land and other poems.

How can I possibly be expected to remember how many books I have read and which ones I read in 2005 and which ones I didn't?
Anyway, The Knight by Gene Wolfe was very good
as was The Shockwave Rider by John Bruner
nothing else stands out right now, but it's all a blur anyway.

books i liked were cosmic triger 2&3,inside the brotherhood,apocalypse culture and non-fiction.dident read a whole lot last year really.

I get through a couple of books a week usually - 3 hours commuting a day'll do that for you. So I can't remember what I read last year or attempt to pick 5.

If I read Norwegian Wood last year then that'll go in, as would 2 Clare Tomalin historical biogs of Samuel Pepys and Jane Austen. Now I have to get her one on Mary Wolstonecraft.

Super Dexta said:
hey, when you don't have a job, and your primary occupation is reading books, it adds up.

kirstie said:
If I read Norwegian Wood last year then that'll go in

Oh! Herself has a copy of that at home. Might pick it up and read it in the coming weeks.

Best book of my year is the Wicked Poems anthology, which is edited by Roger McGough. Got it just before Christmas, and it's a real pleasure.

As for the commuting point... very true. My brother gets through a couple of books a week whilst on the train. When I was commuting from Cambridge, I was in the same boat... or should I say train? Well, not the same train. More like "the same type of commute".

Nothing to do with this thread, but the train I got from Cambridge is the same train where, only a couple of years ago, a bunch of scientists came up with the most up to date theory as to how the universe was created.

Yeah it's great. Recently I also v much liked Kazuo Ishiguro's never let me go which surprisingly (or surprising to me anyway) is really sort of margaret atwood-y when she's at her sci-fi type best. I'm reading Lynne Truss's book on manners, Talk to the Hand at the moment, which is..ah, entertaining I suppose.

Also Hodges Figgis have a good sale on at the moment, re-bought Perfume for 4.99 and John McGahern's The Dark also for 4.99 on Saturday. That should occupy me till Friday...

Hamilton Burger said:
Oh! Herself has a copy of that at home. Might pick it up and read it in the coming weeks.

Best book of my year is the Wicked Poems anthology, which is edited by Roger McGough. Got it just before Christmas, and it's a real pleasure.

As for the commuting point... very true. My brother gets through a couple of books a week whilst on the train. When I was commuting from Cambridge, I was in the same boat... or should I say train? Well, not the same train. More like "the same type of commute".

Nothing to do with this thread, but the train I got from Cambridge is the same train where, only a couple of years ago, a bunch of scientists came up with the most up to date theory as to how the universe was created.

i picked up and put down so many books last year.the ones i enjoyed were middlesex by jeffrey eugenides, a short histroy, peter carey's complete short stories and oscar&lucinda, fup by jim dodge.that's five.oh and the master by colm tobin is very good,i won't even get into the ones i didnt finish

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back