Top 40 Irish albums ever - the ticket (1 Viewer)

i dfidn't think it was right to include 3 live albums in the list. through both rory gallagher and thin lizzy probably deserved to be on the list but live albums? i feel live albums are too much like greatest hits album

last May, when they asked the politician PR people to come up with a few words and make them look intelligent and into good music when Bertie Ahern picked a greatest hits album (true this failed in trying to mae him look cool as the pr guy went for Neil Diamond), Brian Boyd in the ticket said " The other point here is that you should never select a Greatest Hits album as a favourite album - it's not very discerning" and i think this very much goes along with live albums

i dfidn't think it was right to include 3 live albums in the list. through both rory gallagher and thin lizzy probably deserved to be on the list but live albums? i feel live albums are too much like greatest hits album

last May, when they asked the politician PR people to come up with a few words and make them look intelligent and into good music when Bertie Ahern picked a greatest hits album (true this failed in trying to mae him look cool as the pr guy went for Neil Diamond), Brian Boyd in the ticket said " The other point here is that you should never select a Greatest Hits album as a favourite album - it's not very discerning" and i think this very much goes along with live albums

Brian Boyd is right.
Although there's always somebody who'll accuse you of snobbery if you slag off folks who chose best ofs / greatest hits as their favourites.

fuck 'em all.

Brian Boyd is right.
Although there's always somebody who'll accuse you of snobbery if you slag off folks who chose best ofs / greatest hits as their favourites.

fuck 'em all.

Live and Dangerous and Queens Greatest Hits are 2 of the best albums ever - no question. I reckon they're exceptions to the rule.

Martin Hayes and Dennis Cahill Live in Seattle is off the chain.

It should, in fact, be higher on that list, and ahead of most of those hoary old Dublin bands.

Neil Diamonds deadly! who the fuck is brian boyd anyway?(retorical qm, iknow he's a spa

These lists are a bit weird. What criteria do they use for a record being Irish? Many were recorded abroad with other musicians not from Ireland etc. and the bands were on British or American labels etc. etc. etc. If they had an Irish lad making tea and sweeping up the clippings after recordings is that an Irish album too?

Correct me if i'm wrong , but practically all of the Pogues are British , no?

Correct me if i'm wrong , but practically all of the Pogues are British , no?

Carroll said in his blog that the criteria for it being Irish was that 50% of the band had to be Irish/have an Irish passport which is why they were able to count MBV (and U2 for that matter). They realised too close to press time that this dsqualified the Pogues.

Was listening to them today for the first time in ages. I was completly in love with that band when I was 13/14. Sounded like othing I'd heard before.

<3 Cormac Battle.

EWWWWW.

what about starting a thread here where everyone chips in their top 10 irish albums. We compile one of those bullshit lists and... well that's about it really.

So Bell X1, Snow Patrol, The Frames and *shivers* Damien Rice are the only decent Irish albums of the noughties?

and some people were giving out about the chalets and the thrills not been in there,

its pretty bad, not the list but music from 2000 onwards which would be considered the greatest irish albums of all time

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back