Too much music? (1 Viewer)

Anthony

Supporter
Since 2000
Solutions
Website
www.themiddleagesband.com
Do we actually listen to albums properly these days? I had an album on recently, one I've had for a while and "listened" to a good few times, and found I was hearing whole sections for what seemed like the first time.

So, do people actually listen to and evaluate music/bands these days before forming an opinion on it? Do we have more Shelf Classics or Hard Disc Classics than we realise?

(Shelf Classics is a term Adam Buxton made up to for CDs/DVDs that he has but remain unplayed)

I'm sure some people do, some people don't. I remember when I got a CD player lamenting the fact I didn't listen to the album all the way through as much as I had with tapes. I just cherrypicked the songs I wanted to hear. I've bought a number of albums lately that I listen to in their entirety but several I've ripped and only listen to songs from when they come up on my mp3 playlist.

I find kinda the opposite - most of the music I listen to now is on headphones when I'm at work, so it kinda passes me by and goes direct into the storage area of my brain. I'll see an album on my hard disk, think "hmm I mustn't have listened to that much, I can't remember anything about it" and then I put it on and recognise every single song. The 3rd CD from that recent Joanna Newsom one is a perfect example of this

You can never have access to too much music, it's how you handle it (which I know is your question, sorry).
On the one hand, I use my Ipod mostly for shuffle entertainment on my bike. On the other hand, I buy records to listen to at home still, as much as I ever did. I don't think everybody has been ruined by the advance of technology.

I used to have a few thousand tapes,of things I would listen to insatiably for a week then never again..likewise I'm sitting here looking at about a 1000 lps I no longer want.

Mp3s makes the whole thing easier.

Hooked on Spotify, because you're not paying for every whim then I find I spend more time looking for new music. Hopefully it will launch in Ireland at some point

I'm an album guy, listen to a record from start to finish. If it's shit, it probably won't get listened to again. If it's good, I'll wear it out. If it's mediocre I'll playlist the 'hit' songs. If it's not on spotify or a stealable format, it won't even reach my ears.

You kind of proved my point. You listen to it (I presume once) and if it's shit/good. I'm guilty of that myself sometimes, but I used to have a loose 3 play rule before I made an opinion. But you know, do what you want, I'm just thinking about this.

I have trouble listening to music anymore.
Its mostly soundracks & podcasts.

The only lime I listen to music is in the car.

I find since I no longer have my own place, and don't have a stereo in my room, I rarely just listen to music. It's usually listened to on my mp3 player while on the bus, or at home while wasting my life on the computer. I want to get a proper stereo for my room so I can actually concentrate on listening to music properly.

You kind of proved my point. You listen to it (I presume once) and if it's shit/good. I'm guilty of that myself sometimes, but I used to have a loose 3 play rule before I made an opinion. But you know, do what you want, I'm just thinking about this.

I often times write stuff off after one listen. at the same time I've always been aware that albums that I love on first listen I generally tire of fairly quickly while albums that really get under my skin take several listens, sometimes even years, to become firm favorites. I cant think how the process works - some albums that dont grab me immediately get dropped and forgotten while others draw me back again for some reason.

Do we actually listen to albums properly these days? I had an album on recently, one I've had for a while and "listened" to a good few times, and found I was hearing whole sections for what seemed like the first time.

So, do people actually listen to and evaluate music/bands these days before forming an opinion on it? Do we have more Shelf Classics or Hard Disc Classics than we realise?

(Shelf Classics is a term Adam Buxton made up to for CDs/DVDs that he has but remain unplayed)

there's kinda two questions there if i'm reading it correctly - the first 'too much music?' - yes. as i was saying in 2004 (except in english) its basically got to the point where we are kids in a candy store and the candy is free. the result being a couple of bloated vomiting kids sitting around a bunch of sweetpapers wishing they had never experienced sweets.

the second 'do people actually listen to and evaluate music/bands these days before forming an opinion on it?' - I don't know - does anyone here review records, and if so how long to you spend with it?? I think although charts etc dont really reach me (or anyone on the internet) its still singles, youtubes and standout live songs that draw me into albums now - rather then possibly listening to an album on recommend and slowly realising its a bit shit (which is what your opening sentence kinda sounds like).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back