Tinnitus (1 Viewer)

shidheat

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2004
Messages
2,251
Solutions
1
Location
dublin
i saw the asuza plane one time. it's not surprising that his hearing was affected. i forgot to bring ear plugs myself and ended up stuffing toilet paper in my ears and standing right down the back. he was up there on stage right in front of the amps. i remember posting about it on a mailing list and, saying that it was just so deafeningly loud that it was hard to enjoy. i recall getting various responses from people saying how they love extreme loudness, and a response from the man himself to the effect of "thanks a lot for your review" - which i took as sarcasm. i have mixed feelings about loud shows; for instance, the last time i saw mbv was amazing, but helped by the fact that i had good ear plugs in. for that matter, i didn't think much of the azusa plane for all their hype. was sad for the guy when he died all the same.
 

Cornu Ammonis

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Contributor
Joined
Feb 1, 2011
Messages
9,265
Solutions
2
Location
Dublin
Website
brainwashed.com
I think so. Tinnitus can be due to damage to the ear or in the brain itself, so all frequencies are technically available to it to annoy you with, it just tends to be high frequency because that's the range most easily damaged in the ear itself.
 

Cornu Ammonis

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Contributor
Joined
Feb 1, 2011
Messages
9,265
Solutions
2
Location
Dublin
Website
brainwashed.com
I'm trying to write a grant for COVID-19 research that's due tomorrow but I can scour the literature for you once it's in if you like?
 

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Joined
Nov 14, 1999
Messages
58,945
Solutions
3
Location
iPanopticon
Website
thumped.com
I’m just curious. Sort of like a faint subwoofer rumbling? It complements the ringing nicely.
 

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Joined
Nov 14, 1999
Messages
58,945
Solutions
3
Location
iPanopticon
Website
thumped.com
I think so. Tinnitus can be due to damage to the ear or in the brain itself, so all frequencies are technically available to it to annoy you with, it just tends to be high frequency because that's the range most easily damaged in the ear itself.

I can send you my brain xrays if that helps.
 

Cormcolash

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2002
Messages
24,183
Location
THIS IS SPARTA!!!
Website
geocities.com
I can send you my brain xrays if that helps.

homers-xray-brain.jpg
 

Cormcolash

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2002
Messages
24,183
Location
THIS IS SPARTA!!!
Website
geocities.com
I would imagine low frequency tinnitus is possible, especially as we don't notice when lower frequencies might be loud enough to damage the ears anywhere nearly as quickly as we'll notice it with higher frequencies, but I'd also imagine that it would be quite difficult to get the low frequency kind without some accompanying high frequency kind as (so far as I know) the higher frequency hairs receiving sound in the ear are naturally meant to be more sensitive than the ones attuned to lower frequencies. Or something. What I do know for sure is that my ears are getting blocked up by impacted wax again.
 

moose

Be kind.
Supporter
Joined
Dec 14, 2003
Messages
19,149
Solutions
3
Location
In The Vicinity Of Morondom
Website
www.moosetwentythree.com
I would imagine low frequency tinnitus is possible, especially as we don't notice when lower frequencies might be loud enough to damage the ears anywhere nearly as quickly as we'll notice it with higher frequencies, but I'd also imagine that it would be quite difficult to get the low frequency kind without some accompanying high frequency kind as (so far as I know) the higher frequency hairs receiving sound in the ear are naturally meant to be more sensitive than the ones attuned to lower frequencies. Or something. What I do know for sure is that my ears are getting blocked up by impacted wax again.

I'd presume the damage happens same way as any other type but the symptoms manifest differently.
 

Cornu Ammonis

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Contributor
Joined
Feb 1, 2011
Messages
9,265
Solutions
2
Location
Dublin
Website
brainwashed.com
I'd presume the damage happens same way as any other type but the symptoms manifest differently.
There are lots of different types of tinnitus, not all of it is due to damage in the ear from loud noises. It can be induced by aspirin, it can be due to a stroke, it can be due to a migraine or epilepsy, regular aging, etc. A bit like a runny nose could hayfever, the cold, or COVID-19.
 

moose

Be kind.
Supporter
Joined
Dec 14, 2003
Messages
19,149
Solutions
3
Location
In The Vicinity Of Morondom
Website
www.moosetwentythree.com
There are lots of different types of tinnitus, not all of it is due to damage in the ear from loud noises. It can be induced by aspirin, it can be due to a stroke, it can be due to a migraine or epilepsy, regular aging, etc. A bit like a runny nose could hayfever, the cold, or COVID-19.

I rarely take aspirin, never had a stroke, migraines or epilepsy and I'm only 40. Been around a lot of loud noises and music so I reckon mine is probably caused by loud noises. It comes fairly sporadically (as long as I wear plugs) and 80% of the time it's low throbbing which has got lower recently almost subby. The usual high pitched comes the other 20% of the time.
 

Cormcolash

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2002
Messages
24,183
Location
THIS IS SPARTA!!!
Website
geocities.com
You could potentially have some impacted wax too, it mostly gives this low freq. uncomfortable feeling, aside from when there's loads of it blocking up the whole ear, which is what I get building up over time. Impacted wax can get cleaned out pretty easy by an ear doctor, I have to take ear drops leading up to that to make sure it softens up because mine gets so packed irrigation doesn't work straight off
 

Cornu Ammonis

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Contributor
Joined
Feb 1, 2011
Messages
9,265
Solutions
2
Location
Dublin
Website
brainwashed.com
I rarely take aspirin, never had a stroke, migraines or epilepsy and I'm only 40. Been around a lot of loud noises and music so I reckon mine is probably caused by loud noises. It comes fairly sporadically (as long as I wear plugs) and 80% of the time it's low throbbing which has got lower recently almost subby. The usual high pitched comes the other 20% of the time.
It's usually noise but my point was the damage can come about in a lot of different ways and isn't even going to be in the ear necessarily.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

21 Day Calendar

Bob Mould
Whelans
25 Wexford St, Portobello, Dublin 2, D02 H527, Ireland
The Bobby Lees - midnight at Whelan's
Whelans
25 Wexford St, Portobello, Dublin 2, D02 H527, Ireland
Einstürzende Neubauten
National Concert Hall
Earlsfort Terrace, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Big Brave (Southern Lord) + Percolator
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Lori Goldston - Droichead Arts Centre
Droichead Arts Centre
Stockwell Ln, Downtown Drogheda, Drogheda, Co. Louth, Ireland
Pixies
Iveagh Gardens
Stable Ln, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Latest Activity

Loading…

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads

Top