Tin Machine - Tin Machine (1989) (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
3.00 star(s) Rating: 3.00/5 3 Votes
Title: Tin Machine
Artist: Tin Machine
Released: 1989

Tracks:
1 - Heaven's in Here - 6:07
2 - Tin Machine - 3:36
3 - Prisoner of Love - 4:51
4 - Crack City - 4:36
5 - I Can't Read - 4:53
6 - Under the God - 4:06
7 - Amazing - 3:06
8 - Working Class Hero - 4:42
9 - Bus Stop - 1:43
10 - Pretty Thing - 4:39
11 - Video Crime - 3:54
12 - Run - 3:20
13 - Sacrifice Yourself - 2:10
14 - Baby Can Dance - 4:57

Overview:
Tin Machine is the debut album of Tin Machine originally released by EMI in 1989. The group was the latest venture of David Bowie, inspired by sessions with guitarist Reeves Gabrels. Drummer Hunt Sales and bassist Tony Sales formed the rest of the band, with "fifth member" Kevin Armstrong providing rhythm guitar.

The project was intended as a back-to-basics album by Bowie, with a hard rock sound and simple production, as opposed to his past two solo albums. Unlike previous Bowie bands (such as the Spiders from Mars), Tin Machine acted as a democratic unit.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Mmmm, this would be an almost 100% fresh listen. I've only ever heard you belong in Rock n 'Roll. All I can think of when I hear the name tin machine is it being totally slated by almost everyone. Another wrong turn by Bowie. I'll give it a go.

Didn't like this when it came out. Will give it a go with an open mind.

Mmmm, this would be an almost 100% fresh listen. I've only ever heard you belong in Rock n 'Roll. All I can think of when I hear the name tin machine is it being totally slated by almost everyone. Another wrong turn by Bowie. I'll give it a go.

That was Tin Machine II, the second album. Which really WAS rubbish.

2 listens in. First one was a bit arduous. Starts well with the first 3/4 songs being really good, then there's a bit of a dip. Found it hard to re-engage after that, first time around. Not helped by the fact that it's longgggg.

Second listen was different. It hit the same dips and the same points, but found myself getting back into it.

One listen left. I expect I'm gonna end up liking this quite a lot.

Despite being a massive Bowie fan, I was always in two minds about Tin Machine. I remember when Under The God came out in '89 and being blown away; I thought it was the best thing Bowie had done for years, but I didn't pick the album up then.

I think it's a great choice for AC though. If you want to include it in Bowie's catalogue, then I think it's under-sung and due for reappraisal.

I've heard tracks off it over the years, and got it on CD, but never gave it a listen all the way through, but I've only bought the LP recently. Gave it a full spin yesterday, so am due two more listens. First impression? It's two songs too long, but I will reserve judgement till listen 3!

This came out at an interesting time in "my Bowie life". Up until the late 80s Bowie meant as much to me as aha or Queen. Or anyone else who was on Top Of the Pops. I think my first Bowie memory was Ashes To Ashes on TOTP. In 89 I met a Bowie fanatic, made me mix tapes etc. I started taking him seriously as an artist and all that.
Bowie's next album was Tin Machine. So I was hearing this fresh alongside this massive fan. I used his enthusiasm and so shared his dis-stain of people rubbishing it. I bought it and so listened to it a lot (that's what it was like back then). I liked it a lot. It worked for me on a couple of levels. Firstly here I was buying and listening to David Bowie (check me out) and secondly I was digging something that everyone seemed to hate. That was very familiar territory for me, I was obsessed with Marillion at the time.
So I'm looking forward to listening to this again after quite a long time. I think I can be more objective about it now.....

turn down the volume before the stupid music starts

I listened to Side 1 on the way to work -
Prisoner of Love
Crack City
Under the God
All top notch tunes - Under the God is a blistering tune.

Been through this a couple of times. Brings back memories.

1 - Heaven's in Here - 6:07
Too long. Decent opener but too long and boring.

2 - Tin Machine - 3:36
Fun song. Great Middle 8. Good Zavid rating.

3 - Prisoner of Love - 4:51
Love it. 10 Zavids.

4 - Crack City - 4:36
Hate the "wild thing" rhythm, never liked this song, Saved by the vocals. "butholes for brains"!

5 - I Can't Read - 4:53
Album highlight. 10/10 Zavid.

6 - Under the God - 4:06
Very good song. The middle 8 is top shelf Zavid.

7 - Amazing - 3:06
Could be from any latter Bowie album like Reality or something. Nice tune.

8 - Working Class Hero - 4:42
Solid cover version. Hated by people at the time but I have no beef with this.

9 - Bus Stop - 1:43
Love it. Quality Zavid on this track.

10 - Pretty Thing - 4:39
Album is losing steam. Sounds like a jam that words were put on after. Pass.

11 - Video Crime - 3:54
Some cool moments in this song but can live without it.

12 - Run - 3:20
Perfectly decent rock song.

13 - Sacrifice Yourself - 2:10
Album low point. Skip.

14 - Baby Can Dance - 4:57
Suffers by being last on a sonicly tiring album. Not bad, too long.

Listening to this in 2019 it struck my how "not that different" this album is. With different production a lot of these songs could have been released as a Bowie album and no one would have lost their minds. Reeves Gabriel's guitar is an acquired taste by not too different in places to Carlos Alamar. Obviously the kind of sound David likes, he did stick with Gabriel for a few albums after this.
The shotgun snare sound dates the album and is really my only problem with the sound. It's horrible.
I like how loose this is there are multiple points where you can hear them writing the songs as they play them (like in Gene Genie). A lot of the lyrics sound ad libbed too.

Only 2 or 3 skips on a 14 song album. As good as any Bowie album from this point on. Better than some.

Music information in first post provided by The AudioDB

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back