Thumped Netnography Study (1 Viewer)

brianoak

Hi guys,

I contacted Pete a while ago asking his permission to use thumped.com as the basis of a netnography project I am doing for my post grad in DCU. Over the last four weeks or so I have been analyzing threads and collecting data for this study. This initial phase encompassed stats and figures and no user’s posts are directly referenced so there is full anonymity.

Here is the wiki for a quick overview of what Netnography is. Not sure how good that article is but feel free to ask me any questions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netnography

For the next phase and to augment some of my initial findings I will be taking post samples and would like to quote certain posts in my findings. I will contact everyone whose posts I intend to use for permission first and will disguise their identity if requested or not use the post at all if the user so wishes. I will generally just be posting as normal in certain threads but may use selected information in the study.

Essentially it won’t be examining any personal data and will really just be measuring personal opinion. For example, given thumped.com’s community support for independent music, is there a crossover of this behavior into other consumer or lifestyle chocies. A sentiment analysis if you will. This data will be gathered from what people say in threads.

Part of netnography entails disclosing that I am researching and seeking feedback on findings from the community so if you want to drop me a pm later in the week or so I can send you on a sample of some of the research if you are interested.

My research will only be shared with my course supervisors (2) and members of thumped.com if requested.

If at any point on somebody else's thread it feels like I am pushing for information or having a detrimental effect on the thread please tell me and mods just delete at will.

Let me know in the comments if this okay.

Thanks,

Brian

So will be have a MA in Prickology at the end of your post grad? Will you be using this post? What do I get?

So will be have a MA in Prickology at the end of your post grad? Will you be using this post? What do I get?

Ha, by virtue of time put in here I assume I already have a phd in that. I will quote you under my reactions heading.

Way to make me paranoid.

Sorry. Like I said, I won't quote without asking anybody first and if you want me to leave you out of it just say. I completely understand.

The reason for the transparency is there is still quite a lot of debate over public vs private information when it comes to bulletin boards or open social media accounts. I just want to be very clear that people are aware of what I am doing. I won't be starting any threads that aren't relevant to the board and my participation is as it would normally be i.e. I won't be starting any leading threads for the sake of gathering information.

Sorry. Like I said, I won't quote without asking anybody first and if you want me to leave you out of it just say. I completely understand.

The reason for the transparency is there is still quite a lot of debate over public vs private information when it comes to bulletin boards or open social media accounts. I just want to be very clear that people are aware of what I am doing. I won't be starting any threads that aren't relevant to the board and my participation is as it would normally be i.e. I won't be starting any leading threads for the sake of gathering information.

You should use this post

fuckin hell, I don't reckon I can be spontaneous anymore.

it'll be like when ur abroad and some burd finds out you're Irish and goes 'say something', just to hear your accent, but you can never think of anything to say, or come out with some shite like, 'ok, what do you want me to say'.

wait and see, this will be the de-pricking of thumped. If we're all gonna be in some lad's ph.d then theres no way any of us are gonna risk anything

I'm feeling a bit sketchy about my history on here now.

I hope it dosent affect my work prospects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back