Thumped Film Club Part 1: Funny Games U.S. (1 Viewer)

I dunno. Isn't the film one of Haneke's typical "look-at-me-I'm-oh-so-smart" cinematic strategies to make some mad philosophical or political point about something really important?

I saw the original Funny Games a few years ago having seen The Piano Teacher, Hidden and Time of the Wolf in that order. I really enjoyed it in the sense that I nearly felt like switching the telly off with the psychological gross-outery. I thought it was a really strong statement. Like, he very carefully constructed a scenario which has its own internal logic, playing off blockbuster slasher genres, which you just buy into or you don't. I think that's part of the film's point, though. All films are like this but conceal the mechanics. ANYWAY...

I couldn't help thinking that he was still developing his techniques when he made the original, so, compared to what came after, it's just OK. It was the film when he changed gears. But going back and making it again doesn't add anything, it's a step backwards for him and I think the film's moment passed 10 years ago.

Totally agree. I saw the original also and was really impressed by it. It lead me to check out everything else. Haneke's one of the very few filmmakers who doesn't patronise his audience and while some may find his approach cold and clinical, you can't help accept that he puts forward more in one scene of a film than others do over whole movies.
While Funny Games is certainly worthwhile, some of his other films deal with similar issues much better (imo),Benny's Video for example. If nothing else, he certainly invites discussion!!

What's the next fillum?

It's really interesting how many people take personal offence to the film. Patronising. Hectoring. Insulting. More than most other films you could apply those terms to.

I think that's just because people had higher expectations for this film. If you go into a Uwe Boll flick expecting to be patronised, insulted, et cetera, you won't be surprised when you are patronised and insulted. You don't mean to say that Haneke intended to provoke those reactions?

I know it looked to be headed that way, but there was no rape scene.

Well I'm glad about that. I saw the one from that film Irreversible which was constantly on the French TV station in Argentina and it was completely fucking weird.

It also should be pointed that I rented out Last Days and had to turn it off and return because I found it so fucking annoying. So maybe its Michael Pitt's fault. He's so damn punchable.

Finally saw this last night.
Thought it was boring and kinda pointless.
The film itself is redundant in todays climate anyway.
If I'd have seen the original when it came out I might have been shocked but the extremity of current mainstream horror films makes it look far too tame to make it's point effectively.
3/10

Oh - I thought Tim Roth was excellent BTW. Best performance by a long shot.

You ever see the original German version? It's a frame by frame copy but somehow the US version just lost something from the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back