Thumped album club (1 Viewer)

This is a fine idea.

The list is just to generate a bunch of albums that some people think are worth listening to. I don't think there's any need to get Price Waterhouse Coopers in here.

To start, we need about 15/20 people to nominate their favourite 15/20 albums of all time. We keep the vote secret and allow a month or so to decide on their final list.

Then, we compile a Thumped Top 15/20 albums list.
This bit doesn't make sense to me, how do we compile a Thumped Top 15/20 albums list? If the majority of us have heard and like the album enough to vote for it then what's the point?

Last edited:
This bit doesn't make sense to me, How do we compile a Thumped Top 15/20 albums list? If the majority of us have heard and like the album enough to vote for it then what's the point?
I'm trusting this theory holds

elitism300.gif

If its an album you know you still get to give your thoughts on it. You get to agree/disagree with others as they give their thoughts, some for the first time, others not so.

I expect there will be some albums, no matter how many of us like them, that some people won't have heard.

The scoring system I had in mind was going to factor in the position in a person's list.

So, if 2 albums are nominated in different lists, one is number 1 in its list, while the other is only number 7 in its list, then the first album scores higher.

If that works with this google forms thing, then great.

Also, I did have half an idea to allow people return to their lists and edit them, if needed, until we decide to close voting. Not entirely necessary though.

The scoring system I had in mind was going to factor in the position in a person's list.

So, if 2 albums are nominated in different lists, one is number 1 in its list, while the other is only number 7 in its list, then the first album scores higher.

If that works with this google forms thing, then great.

Also, I did have half an idea to allow people return to their lists and edit them, if needed, until we decide to close voting. Not entirely necessary though.
weighted scoring, ok, I could get behind that. We're all forced to listen to whatever is at number 1 on everyone's list.

I'm not trying to wreak the thread on purpose BTW. Might take part might not
I don't expect this to take over your life. Its one album a week which is about one hour (except for the Swans albums).

Its not as big a commitment as a book club, for example.

And you can dip in and out of it. Take part one week, don't bother the next, regardless of whether you submit your own list or not.

weighted scoring, ok, I could get behind that. We're all forced to listen to whatever is at number 1 on everyone's list.
thats why we'd need at least 20 people or so. I expect a lot of albums will get a single vote so having weighted voting gives everyone's favourite a chance to get a look in.

Right I am notoriously poor at maths and stats(ooh I like that,maths n stats)anyway..I havent a notion of how its gonna work..so lay it out plain and simple for us retards.

Ah, fuck votes etc., otherwise it'll just end up being endless Joanna Newsome LPs, you bastards.

Any LP submitted obviously means something to the forum member, so should be worth considering on that strength alone. Just randomly select the LP to make it fair, and far more likely to throw up interesting results.

I think the only rule should be, like that Ramalbum thing, is that you should listen to the LP 3 times before commenting on it, to give it a chance.
that works in the case where you haven't heard an album before. But I don't want to discount people who have heard it from giving their thoughts too.

Regarding votes vs non-votes, I'm happy with whatever the consensus is. It was just a starting point anyway with the eventual aim being to get to a point where a person gets nominated, they nominate an album, then thats what we all listen to/discuss/etc.

Whatever works best is grand by me.

Ah, fuck votes etc., otherwise it'll just end up being endless Joanna Newsome LPs, you bastards.

Any LP submitted obviously means something to the forum member, so should be worth considering on that strength alone. Just randomly select the LP to make it fair, and far more likely to throw up interesting results.
the other thing about votes is that it would add an element of suspense to it.

And with votes being anonymous we're not gonna know who is responsible for the albums that are thrown up (unlike afterwards when a particular person nominates an album). Except in the case of Joanna Newsom, which will clearly be me.

I'm mentally compiling a list of 20 all time fave lps

What about everyone puts 20 names in the hat and a title is randomly picked outta that pool..or something..I am way outta my depth here all of a sudden

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back