This Sub-Forum is admirably quiet. (1 Viewer)

seanc

So let me feck that up.

There was some fella on Off The Ball the other week who said that if European football restarts, it should restart from the bottom up.

I agree. The small clubs would be better able to have their games with social distancing, as they don't have that many fans anyway. Also, a lot of footiefootiefootie fans are gamblers. And gamblers will bet on anything. There's surely a way it could work.

Also, if top level PL football happens, the games are going to be shite, they've all been sitting at home on their own for weeks. Except Kyle Walker. None of the advocates for re-opening the PL seem to have mentioned this.
None of those PL lads will starve. So why not let the likes of Accrington Stanley or Dulwich Hamlet or whoever get some attention? Look at what's happened with the Belarussian league.

But like you could get a can of tuna, pay 50 billion for it and write man utd on it and throw it on the pitch against real madrid and the fans would support it. Club football isn't proper football.

Accrington Stanley? Who are they?
Oh go on then.

EXACTLY!!

To Ann Post, that is kinda my point. Footie fans will watch anything. Gamblers will bet on anything. The lower leagues ain't getting a fair share, because yes, people will watch any old shite with a ManU or Liverpool label on it. So why not let the lower leagues get a bit of attention? It could completely change the game. I'm sure the difference between the ability of a League 2 player and a PL player is probably, as much as you can measure it, less than 10%.

None of those PL lads will starve.
Isn't the argument that the clubs might be in trouble
Wages to pay and no TV rights coming in?

You'd like to think that there'd be some kind of realignment, that some of the clubs would see sense, and manage finances better; the richest league in the world shouldn't be teetering on the edge of financial hardship.
But they won't. It will return just as fucked up as it's been before.

This is me agreeing with you btw.

There's a lot of chat of the mad generosity of Premier League footballers lately. And I'm sure they mean well. If I happened to be on £100k a week, I'd be inclined to say "stop paying me, I'm not doing anything. I'd rather you made sure the stadium staff got paid". It'd be nice if the players figured something out with their clubs and agents and managers. Because it's not really the players fault, they're just young lads who can kick a ball and have never done anything else in their life. With the best intentions, they don't know any better.

Oh go on then.

EXACTLY!!

To Ann Post, that is kinda my point. Footie fans will watch anything. Gamblers will bet on anything. The lower leagues ain't getting a fair share, because yes, people will watch any old shite with a ManU or Liverpool label on it. So why not let the lower leagues get a bit of attention? It could completely change the game. I'm sure the difference between the ability of a League 2 player and a PL player is probably, as much as you can measure it, less than 10%.

With little sport from mid March to mid April, paddy powers revenue fall 32%
What are the 68% still betting, betting on.
They are just going to find stuff to bet on.

Paddy Power are taking bets on the Turkmenistan reserve league (I can't pinpoint Turkmenistan on a map. I know it is with Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and krygyzstan but which, I'm not sure. I did spend a lot of time looking at and comparing atlases as a child. Yet my list of countries I have been to is 2)

Last edited:
I've been trying to get the concept of sports commentary on trying to do shopping without getting a lethat virus would be something i'd watch

Good summary from The Guardian a few days ago:

Let us be clear at this point. No spin or vested interests. Here is the dialogue that led us to this point. First principle: it is obvious no one in England should play professional football this summer. There isn’t time to play the games. It’s not medically safe. Train properly, plan properly. Restart in August. The end.

Big Football: But, there’s £1bn at stake.

OK. Well, just forego that part of the season. More money will come. You can absorb this.

Big Football: Er, we can’t. Our finances are insane. We spend £3bn, or 70% of income, on wages. Some of us on the way up spend more than we earn on wages. We are rich, but also reckless and greedy.

OK. Then take a collective haircut to preserve the model. Share the hit as sensibly as you can. You’re all in this together.

Big Football: Er, we can’t because we’re not. Those who are relegated may well sue the rest of us. Players will jump ship if we dock wages. The broadcasters are at the gates. Nothing works. There aren’t enough lifeboats. End result: playing the games is absurd. But we still have to play the games.

At which point, enter a world of terrible ideas. Enter biosecure football. Not biosecure nuclear plants or biosecure food production. No. Biosecure football, words that signify of their own accord that something truly idiotic is happening here.

Let us be clear at this point. No spin or vested interests. Here is the dialogue that led us to this point. First principle: it is obvious no one in England should play professional football this summer. There isn’t time to play the games. It’s not medically safe. Train properly, plan properly. Restart in August. The end.

OK. Well, just forego that part of the season. More money will come. You can absorb this.

Big Football: Er, we can’t. Our finances are insane. We spend £3bn, or 70% of income, on wages. Some of us on the way up spend more than we earn on wages. We are rich, but also reckless and greedy.

OK. Then take a collective haircut to preserve the model. Share the hit as sensibly as you can. You’re all in this together.

Big Football: Er, we can’t because we’re not. Those who are relegated may well sue the rest of us. Players will jump ship if we dock wages. The broadcasters are at the gates. Nothing works. There aren’t enough lifeboats. End result: playing the games is absurd. But we still have to play the games.

At which point, enter a world of terrible ideas. Enter biosecure football. Not biosecure nuclear plants or biosecure food production. No. Biosecure football, words that signify of their own accord that something truly idiotic is happening here.
ok, that's how I kind of understood it, but I could never have articulated it that well

And it's even crazier when I read it that way

A friend of mine is very vocally the left on pretty much everything but a total free-marketer when it comes to soccer. "Women can be paid more when they bring in the same amount of money as men, it's the fairest system in the world."

I have no real point here aside from LOL-ing at this situation.

Wow. Well fuck em then. I remember doing a college project on Leeds United. They fucked everything
The whole thing should be banned outright

I think you might be right. I'm sure did a college corporate finance project on Leeds United way back in the early 00's. If people didn't learn from that shitshow they never will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back