This Garda cover up's scandal (1 Viewer)

Do you care?

• Verily

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Not really

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Not at all

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Solutions
Do any of you care? The media haven't stopped going on about it and the usual suspects over on the journal.ie comments section are wringing their hands and gnashing their teeth but meanwhile, in the real world, I've yet to hear anyone discuss it and anytime I bring it up people tend to dismiss the topic.

So then, as in the first sentence, are you bothered by the affair or indifferent?

No one cared about the tribunals either, for the most part, even though they were exposing the corruption at the heart of Irish political life.
The very same cute-hoor/old-boy networks that crashed the economy and have been in place for longer than any of us can remember.

Whether people care or not, the Gards need to be held to account over this.
An ethical and trustworthy public service is not always an entertaining subject, but it is something we all have an interest in.

Yours etc.

Is it that cops are expected to be somewhat crooked so this comes as no great surprise?

I think it's partly that, yeah. That the Gards are looked on as a slightly half-assed bogger organisation that looks out for itself and its own and sure what are you gonna do?
No one is ever really brought to book over anything, ever.

Also, it doesn't directly effect people in their pocket. Which goes to your point that it is almost a luxury concern for people that can afford to worry about it; the fourth estate and the chattering classes.

Just in general, I feel that because there is almost no ideological differences between the main parties, that this kind of point-scoring political attacks are all we have.
I mean does anyone doubt that FF would be doing more or less exactly what FF/L are doing vis-a-vis the economy and kowtowing to Brussels and water charges and all that?
With FG you just get fewer brown envelopes.

In the absence of ideological debates, you get what we have now, which is basically moving from scandal to scandal.

I don't get the reaction at all. Agreed that they needs to be held accountable but from what I can tell the stuff thats come out now wouldn't be a patch on, say, what happened in Donegal with the McBreartys that time. But there was no major uproar over that. It was put down to it being a few bad eggs in Donegal.

Garda bashing has become a bit too fashionable lately. Like any profession or walk of life, of course there are gonna be bad eggs. But, they're all that keeps the scrotes from decent folk and I for one do not envy them for that.

Just in general, I feel that because there is almost no ideological differences between the main parties, that this kind of point-scoring political attacks are all we have.

This is the biggest problem in Irish politics, all of the parties are within a few degrees of centre (shinners included) and so "choice", such as it is, is extremely limited. Independents do offer a wider variety of views but a government of independents is obviously completely unworkable so I think we're stuck with what we have.
Although, given the power we've surrendered to Brussels, maybe the Dail is an irrelavency?

I don't get the reaction at all. Agreed that they needs to be held accountable but from what I can tell the stuff thats come out now wouldn't be a patch on, say, what happened in Donegal with the McBreartys that time. But there was no major uproar over that. It was put down to it being a few bad eggs in Donegal.

Garda bashing has become a bit too fashionable lately. Like any profession or walk of life, of course there are gonna be bad eggs. But, they're all that keeps the scrotes from decent folk and I for one do not envy them for that.

Come on. There has to be oversight of them. They cannot operate with impunity and do whatever the hell they want; Callinan going in front of the PAC and telling them that it's 'his' force. Fuck that, it's ours.

Come on. There has to be oversight of them. They cannot operate with impunity and do whatever the hell they want; Callinan going in front of the PAC and telling them that it's 'his' force. Fuck that, it's ours.
oh I agree. There definitely are wrongs that need to be righted. I wouldn't argue that one bit.

However, we're not exactly at the level of some backwoods central american country (one of those ones the A-Team used to visit), where the cops were completely owned/run by some utter crook.

We have our problems and they need to be fixed. By in large they're not huge problems though. I reckons.

oh I agree. There definitely are wrongs that need to be righted. I wouldn't argue that one bit.

However, we're not exactly at the level of some backwoods central american country (one of those ones the A-Team used to visit), where the cops were completely owned/run by some utter crook.

We have our problems and they need to be fixed. By in large they're not huge problems though. I reckons.

Well, if they're not huge then the Gards need to cooperate with the Ombudsman and quit fucking around.

Well, if they're not huge then the Gards need to cooperate with the Ombudsman and quit fucking around.
yes, theres egos and stubborn principles too much to the fore. The ombudsman is still a relatively new thing and the gards are struggling with it a bit. I know some who are scared shitless of doing anything that could be remotely construed as wrong lest they be hauled before GSOC. Having accountability is one thing. Having a police force that dots every 'i' and crosses every 't' is probably not productive. We need accountability but they must retain some bit of flexibility (discression, whatever you want to call it). I think thats the bit they're rebelling about at the moment. Someone needs to grab all sides involved, shake them by the scruff of their necks, and tell them to cop the fuck on.

yes, theres egos and stubborn principles too much to the fore. The ombudsman is still a relatively new thing and the gards are struggling with it a bit. I know some who are scared shitless of doing anything that could be remotely construed as wrong lest they be hauled before GSOC. Having accountability is one thing. Having a police force that dots every 'i' and crosses every 't' is probably not productive. We need accountability but they must retain some bit of flexibility (discression, whatever you want to call it). I think thats the bit they're rebelling about at the moment. Someone needs to grab all sides involved, shake them by the scruff of their necks, and tell them to cop the fuck on.

It's all the other way right now, it seems. The Gards seem to view anyone asking them questions, from GSOC to the PAC, as illegitimate.
It's not rebelling when you are fighting against change, that's being a reactionary. In my book anyway.
It is the honest cops that report on corruption and then get hung out to dry that you also feel bad for.

In disclosure, my general experience of Gards is of them as feckless clockwatchers that do not give a fuck, for the most part. Ineffective against crime, and not overly bothered about it either.
So I'm coming from that view for the most part.

I call it discretion :)

The Guards are corrupt as fuck, and have been for decades. This kind of shit goes all the way back, past the Shell to Sea "Have some booze for helping us out" of recent years to that shit in Offaly in the 80s, like come on. The force is full of pricks. Worst thing is, there are some decent people in there that just want to help people out, and they're stuck in this culture of arseholes.
I say we form a new force of our own, and take care of business like it should be taken care of

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

More on Shatter today

In his defence, Minister Shatter sought to rely on several bizarre legal arguments;

(i) that the data was conveyed verbally by the Garda Commissioner on an unknown date and “resided thereafter in my mind.”

More on Shatter today

In his defence, Minister Shatter sought to rely on several bizarre legal arguments;

(i) that the data was conveyed verbally by the Garda Commissioner on an unknown date and “resided thereafter in my mind.”

The way money rests in an account, as Rabble put it.

Yeah..I got the link on Rabble

"the data ..resided thereafter in my mind"

aaaaah fuck off you dick

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back