Thinking of Getting Out Of Dublin To Move To The Country... (1 Viewer)

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread..kind of mixed vibes which is only natural. Loved your posts Go and the idea of Dundalk doesn't sound that batty either..

I'm living in New Zealand now ( in a lovely spot) but yonks ago we were living in Dublin and we later moved to a rural spot outside Galway. About an hour from the city but in a lovely old farmhouse away from folk. We loved it . But then we're not social types.
We now have a small house at Lake Hawea in the South Island of New Zealand - it rules. ( although it's been a year since I was at a gig, so...)

I'm living in New Zealand now ( in a lovely spot) but yonks ago we were living in Dublin and we later moved to a rural spot outside Galway. About an hour from the city but in a lovely old farmhouse away from folk. We loved it . But then we're not social types.
We now have a small house at Lake Hawea in the South Island of New Zealand - it rules. ( although it's been a year since I was at a gig, so...)

I've just done a google image search for Lake Hawea.

I fuckin hate you.

Bit late to this, but anyway ... I'm originally from Wexford town, lived in cities (mostly Dublin) from 1989 until 2005, when we moved temporarily to Collon (next village north on the N2 from Slane) while we were building a house on a rural crossroads.

I grieved for the city a lot at first. I missed the buzz around the place, and all the driving was maddening - we're 7km from the nearest village, and it really needs to be a good gig to make up for a hour's drive home from Dublin. Also - I have *very* little in common with country people, with their Mass and their going to the ploughing and their little squabbles with each other. This has kinda been the hardest bit, tbh - I'm not exactly quick to make friends anyway, but living in a community where you're obviously an outsider is a bit isolating. I'm commuting 70km to work in Dublin now, which is a bit shit, but I think being in the company of my own kind of people at work helps my emotional stability

On the plus side the house itself is lovely, and we're on an acre so we've apple trees and chickens and raised beds and a polytunnel and all that, but mind you that's all hard work, and takes up a lot of time. It is lovely being surrounded by a bit of natural wildness, and you've a lot more freedom to do as you please in your own place than you would in the city - we can play music as loud as we like and dance in the sitting room without fear of anyone complaining, the kids can make a racket, we can have campfires in the garden

Bit late to this, but anyway ... I'm originally from Wexford town, lived in cities (mostly Dublin) from 1989 until 2005, when we moved temporarily to Collon (next village north on the N2 from Slane) while we were building a house on a rural crossroads.

I grieved for the city a lot at first. I missed the buzz around the place, and all the driving was maddening - we're 7km from the nearest village, and it really needs to be a good gig to make up for a hour's drive home from Dublin. Also - I have *very* little in common with country people, with their Mass and their going to the ploughing and their little squabbles with each other. This has kinda been the hardest bit, tbh - I'm not exactly quick to make friends anyway, but living in a community where you're obviously an outsider is a bit isolating. I'm commuting 70km to work in Dublin now, which is a bit shit, but I think being in the company of my own kind of people at work helps my emotional stability

On the plus side the house itself is lovely, and we're on an acre so we've apple trees and chickens and raised beds and a polytunnel and all that, but mind you that's all hard work, and takes up a lot of time. It is lovely being surrounded by a bit of natural wildness, and you've a lot more freedom to do as you please in your own place than you would in the city - we can play music as loud as we like and dance in the sitting room without fear of anyone complaining, the kids can make a racket, we can have campfires in the garden

Never mind all that - what's the internet access like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back