Thinking of Getting Out Of Dublin To Move To The Country... (1 Viewer)

FairFuks

Banned
Came into a bit of inheritance.

Thinking of getting away from it all to live a quieter existence with the missus..have a dream to get a small cottage on an acre of land to grow my own veg, a few hens, a cat, a dog and pig lol

Ideally live near a decent enough town with all the amenities but where the vibe is much more relaxed than Dublin. Have any Thumped Jackeens done this and gone over to the 'other side' or know any family or friends who have tried this out?

Please post up..cheers.

Hello!

Erm, tbh my scenario couldn't be any further from the OP's aspiration

I live on the outskirts of a tiny town out the back end of beyond in an apartment.
Its like living in a post apocalyptic suburb of Dublin...with more lakes and a bigger sky

I have no land or animals or any other bucolic accouterments.I have excellent broadband

If I could afford same in an actual suburb of Dublin I'd be up there in a shot playing in bands every night of the week.

Hope this helps.

I did something similar to Go, i moved to Carrickmacross for two years, had a nice spacious gaff beside a lake to myself for less money than a shared room in Dublin, led a generally chilled kind of lifestyle, slow pace etc but... there was nothing to do, I knew nobody and was a bit cut off.Now I'm back in Dublin and there are people around, stuff to do, it costs too much, feels like a rat race etc but is where the work is. Basically you just can't fucking win.

Sounds like you're in a good position to make a move though

I'm going on to my 6th year as a bogman.

I do love it. I especially like North Cavan where I am now.Its glorious...my previous location wasn't ideal...it was a proper town..fuck that noise.

Theres pros and cons but for me the pros outnumber the cons.

Edit,,actually..fuck that I have it made in the shade out here lol

Gets a bit lonely but sure everyone gets lonely..well not the OP obviously..with his fancy marriage and all

I say go for it! Sure if you don't take to it you can always pack up and head back to the shmoke..the road goes both directions!

We lived in Navan for 12 years. Though we were in the town, more or less. It was great. We now live a lot closer to Dublin, which I'm loving, but actually way more rural, shite internet, have to drive for EVERYTHING, one shop monopoly of a town.
So you can have the best of both worlds. You could easily get land etc out this way. Not cheap though.

i've various friends who've done this and seem to be very happy

most of them were culchies to begin with though

Grew up in the countryside. Loved it. Climbing trees and battering nettles with a stick and shit.

We never went to the cinema or ought like that.

country_12.jpg

I'm not really in the coutryside. Its a housing estate in the suburbs, not much of a change....just further from Dublin.

The SO and I moved to Dundalk 18 months ago, priced out of Dublin by a 20% rent hike. We'd been in Carpenterstown for five years, only 20 minutes from town on the train, but I'm a homebody so it was mostly handy for work, though right now we work mostly from home anyway. Before that we were in D8 (Christchurch) before it was cool. Got really tired of apartment living, though: noisy, messy neighbours leaving all their shite in the hallway. And the electricity was fucked in our last place so we were getting stupid bills.

Dundalk is grand. We rent a house for less than what our apartment cost. The neighbours are sound; it's a mixed area, families and elderly, so it's the right kind of quiet. Broadband is better than we got in the city (not brilliant - our speed's been cut for months - and our house can't get connected to SIRO). Plus we're only a few minutes' walk from the town centre. And it's only an hour and a bit on the bus from Dublin off peak.

Oh and we have a garden. Pain in the hole mowing the lawn out the back but it's worth it for the wildlife. Loads of birds come to the feeders, and we've had bats in the summer too.

Oh and we have a garden. Pain in the hole mowing the lawn out the back but it's worth it for the wildlife. Loads of birds come to the feeders, and we've had bats in the summer too.

If you don't mow it you get more wildlife. I ended up just doing paths with the mower to the clothes line and oil tank and leaving the rest to the wild. Frogs moved in eventually

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back