Thinking about opening an all ages venue (1 Viewer)

bigkelly

So I am thinking about opening an all ages venue in Dublin's city centre. I have an opportunity to get a lease at a very competitive rate, and the costs would be low.

The kids really don't have a place to see local bands and kids playing in bands have nowhere they can play.

I have noticed that it's very hard for bands to put on gigs in Dublin because most venues require that the room be paid for, before a gig can happen.

We wouldn't charge anything upfront for the room, we'd go fifty fifty on the door. So if €10 was made off the door in the night we'd make €5.

Any profit made from gigs would get invested back into the venue.

There would be a strict no alcohol or drugs policy and shows would end early, say 22:00. We could also do Sunday afternoon shows.

So, what do you think of this idea? Would you go to see a band you liked at an all ages venue?

If I had a few drinks beforehand I might. You should check out Exchange Dublin, something similar I do believe that what you're talking about.

Funny you should mention that. I went in there tonight and spoke with them and they told me they might do the occasional gig but that wasn't their primary focus.

This would just be an all ages venue, open during the weekends.

If the primary focus is gigs on the weekends, I'd say there'd be a fair amount of interest. It'd probably be viable, lots of people putting on gigs in various pubs, there's a lot of interest in all ages / early / booze free gigs at the moment.

I hate to ask it, but whats your angle?

I'd suggest posting about it on www.moshspace.com a promoter there uses exchange for most of his gigs and they're all very enthusiastic about all ages stuff on there. But yeah I'd be all for it.

Sounds strange I know a good few gigs lined up for there, it is a mixed use venue so I could be wrong in my thinking.

Well I spoke to Fiona in Exchange about an hour ago. I basically said "I am thinking about opening this all ages venue, but if you're all ready doing that then no need."

That's when she told me gigs weren't their primary focus and they'd only be doing the occasional gig. In any case more the merrier I'd think...

Well I spoke to Fiona in Exchange about an hour ago. I basically said "I am thinking about opening this all ages venue, but if you're all ready doing that then no need."

That's when she told me gigs weren't their primary focus and they'd only be doing the occasional gig. In any case more the merrier I'd think...

Did you catch my edit there? I thought my post sounded a bit negative so changed it.

If you missed it check out www.moshspace.com lots of interest in all ages stuff on there.

Like, is the motivation purely altruistic?

Yes. Not to be sarcastic but I really can't see this making me a millionaire. :)

...and besides all profit would get reinvested back into the venue. Nobody would be making a salary unless I needed to bring someone in full time to manage it but I really don't see that happening.

I like music, that's my reason for doing it. I think a for a good scene to happen you have to get the kids behind it and have a place where up and coming bands can just play without worrying about paying for a venue.

It's going to be funded by myself initially but I hope that it will pay for itself at some point but if not at least I'll hear some music.

To add to this, if anyone would like to help out by contributing time, effort, or ideas you're more than welcome.

Before you commit your money to a lease maybe try and organise a night or two (preferably at the venue you're looking at) to see how it works out. There could well be a market for it although it might take you a few goes to work out the best way to do it financially and in terms of organisation. If you lease the venue will there be a (presumably non-alcoholic) bar? The real money at gigs is at the taps rather than the door.

Before you commit your money to a lease maybe try and organise a night or two (preferably at the venue you're looking at) to see how it works out. There could well be a market for it although it might take you a few goes to work out the best way to do it financially and in terms of organisation. If you lease the venue will there be a (presumably non-alcoholic) bar? The real money at gigs is at the taps rather than the door.

Good idea, but I doubt the owner would let me do that. Also the place will need a fair bit of work. Financially, it's not that huge of a commitment for me.

I am taking the "if you build it, they will come" sort of attitude. I'm coming into it thinking I'll loose money initially... and if I don't recover it, it's not a huge loss.

As per minerals, I'll probably put in a bin filled with fizzy drinks and juices in ice and sell 'em for a bit above cost.

If you want to put on all-ages gigs why not just use the Exchange, seeing as it's already there?
They may only do the occasional gig, but I imagine they'd probably do more if people were more interested in running gigs there.

i'd say youd struggle to break even with no booze, especially in the city centre. also would be full of skanger teens who were drunk already.

What do you mean?

i guess he means, since this isn't a business or gig promotion thing, you really want to do it because:

1. your really into music, but not into the drink-dependency/image
2. your a social worker/ for social objectives (giving the kids something positive)
3. your an Evangelical Christian that preaches through rock
4. your a pea....er...Robert Louis Stevenson

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back