Thinking about getting an AC4TV/Good amp for pedals (1 Viewer)

Green Goblin

I'm thinking of shipping off my AD30VT and getting an AC4TV, as a platform for pedals instead of a modeler.

Is this a good idea? I heard the AC4TV might be a bit shit for clean headroom even for recording, so maybe not. Vox like drive will be the one sound I don't really have covered if I sell my amp so it'd be handy. I'm also a little worried that since it's getting in on the low wattage tube amp thing, it might be a bit too classic rock/blues voiced which I'm not so interested in(since there are so many options for that sound anyway).

I'm wondering if I installed a super sensitive speaker into the AC4TV, would it get to jammable/small gig levels? In theory if I get a 102db speaker, it would be 3 times as loud, but I can't find the sensitivity of the existing speaker and it's hard to find a 16Ohm, 10" 102db speaker I can afford. Still, it'd work out better for me to get this amp and a new speaker than spending more for a higher wattage tube amp, better modeler, or the shipping needed to get a good clean SS amp like the Jazz Chorus. Plus I really like the AC4TV, it looks cute and I need things to decorate my new flat :p

I'm open to other suggestions to replace my AD30VT though. I'm still not 100% on selling it but I don't think I'll miss it too much, can always grab the cheaper Tonelab if I do and have loads more options. Trading a giggable amp(since I installed a more sensitive speaker, it's more like a 50w) for the AC4 might not be a great idea, but I do have a 200W Lunchbox anyway, maybe I could run both of them.

I can get an AC4 for about €220, I think. A Tiny Terror combo which is the next step up would be more like €600... that's the only other small tube amp I'm interested in, also the lack of effects loop will hurt the TT more since you need to crank it more to get "It's" sound than with a Vox.

it highly unlikely you'd ever be able to compete with a drummer with the AC4, louder speaker or not. the lunchbox is a great yoke that you can certainly gig with, but its not going to be great for tone. you need to ask yourself a few questions:

- what are you getting the AC4 for? its a simple bedroom/recording amp. bare in mind though, if you live in a flat you still won't be able to crank it. 4 valve watts will still annoy the fuck out of the neighbours.

- do you need a nice loud clean tone for gigs? if you do then neither the lunchbox or the ac4 will suit you.

I dunno, I think the Lunchbox has pretty great cleans, decent dirt and takes pedals well.

Here's a pretty naff recording but you get the idea.

http://www.box.net/shared/c13xb09i0k

Sounds better boosted with an LPB-1, it gets a proper "saturated" sound instead of that slightly flakey breakup one. Takes my dirty bomb well too

http://www.box.net/shared/mny3kgsvnj

http://www.box.net/shared/angr3lvpel

I don't see why the Lunchbox wouldn't suit for loud clean tones. It's SS so headroom shouldn't be so much of an issue. It does seem to break up way too easy on the bridge pickup for some reason, but the neck is fine for cleans. I don't think you realise how crazy loud it is, I've already jammed with drums and the Volume still wasn't up that high. Through a good cab it'd be crazy.

The AC4 has an attenuator that goes down to 1/4 watt so I may be able to crank it. Also, if I mic it up, wouldn't it make a good gigging amp? That way the sound would be isolated and the mixing guy can fit it in more easily. Very few places don't have PAs these days. If it came to it I could mic it through my Lunchbox, and run the Lunchbox through a cab. which can also act as a PA.

i heard a lunch box recently, (one of the deerhoof guys was using one) and while it was plenty loud, i found the tone pretty mangy. he was using a small extention speaker with it, and thats what he had miced. but if you like the tone, then it'll be great for gigs.

if you're happy to mic it, i'd say the AC4 would be grand for gigs too. you'd have to angle it towards you, or elevate it to your ear level to make sure you can here it, but there no reason that wouldn't work. again though, competing with a drummer, you'd have limited clean headroom. after halfway it doesn't get any louder, just dirtier. i'd consider an amp 'giggable' if it can be used unmiced at a small gig.

here's a good AC4TV review. it really is a cracking little amp:

http://www.gearwire.com/vox-ac4tv-demo.html

I'm still unsure. Has anyone tried an AC4TV in person? I want to try to try one but the only place that has them is Xmusic in Dublin.

Is the lunchbox 200 watts? Wow.

I'd be very warey of trying to get more volume out of a 4 watt amp by adding a more senitive speaker. You still need enough power to push that speaker and four watts isn't ever gonna get that loud, epecially when a drum kit is brought inot the equation.

I have a Laney LC30II which go for really cheap these days have a decent clean and dirt channel and take pedals pretty good on both channels. It is a bit too loud for getting a really good tone for bedroom recording but is grand for jamming. It is well loud enough for gigs and can power a 4x12 with ease. I'd consider something like that along with a 1 or 2 watt afor the bedroom stuff. That's my two cents anyway.

Well, the Lunchbox could be my gigging amp if I used it with a cab. How likely is it that they'll have cabs there that can take it? I emailed Ken and he said it would be fine into a 100W cab because of the way it controls the dynamics. I could always pick up my own one.

Also, sensitivity of a speaker is how sensitive it is to being pushed - so you don't need extra power to take advantage of it. It's like with headphones, the way some are much louder than others despite having the same mp3 player hooked up to them.

Yeah I know what sensitivity is. From experience 4 watts is still not gonna get that loud in a gig setting though. Especially if you want clean headroom. It's your call though, I'm just giving you my opinion.

I'd really need to try out one in person but nowhere in Cork or Limerick seems to have them in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back