Things I should have known before now... (3 Viewers)

I've never been a roofer, but I have built things. Apparently no one I've ever worked with knew the correct term "Purlin" either. No one, ever. That's quite troubling in retrospect.
Did any of yee know that it's not called a purling?
I only know purling as a knitting term (I don’t know what it means as I tried to learn how to knit over lockdown and found it too stressful).

I only know purling as a knitting term (I don’t know what it means as I tried to learn how to knit over lockdown and found it too stressful).
I think in normal knitting you push the needle in from the front and under the other needle, and then wrap the wool around the needle underneath.
In purl you push the needle in from the back and it comes out above, then you wrap the wool around the needle on top. Kind of doing an upside down knit almost.

And then in purl you knit the next row, then purl, then knit etc. So you're just purling every other row(? - not sure if row is the right term here).

It's been a while but I was doing knitting with the daughter there so I remember it better.

Possibly, my wife mutters a lot of “knit two, purl one” type statements when she’s knitting from a pattern.

I have heard this, probably from my mum.

I guess my male brain wouldn't associate something "girly" like knitting with something "manly" like building stuff.

But then I know manly men who work in rigging or boats or mountaineering and are very proud of their manly ability to splice ropes. It's a highly prized and highly paid skill. Essentially it's just what five year old girls learn when they do each others hair.

I have heard this, probably from my mum.

I guess my male brain wouldn't associate something "girly" like knitting with something "manly" like building stuff.

But then I know manly men who work in rigging or boats or mountaineering and are very proud of their manly ability to splice ropes. It's a highly prized and highly paid skill. Essentially it's just what five year old girls learn when they do each others hair.
It’s like traditionally most women were cooks but men became chefs. “Girly” careers have to be masculinised or else the menfolk will shrivel and die.

One such manly man showed me some basic splicing once. His dad died when he was young, and he was quite short, and no one respected him much, so he had a bit of a complex about manliness.

Anyway he shows me the splicing technique and says "basically, it's the same thing I do when I'm with my granddaughter and she asks me to do her hair". Have to say, I had a bit of an "Awwwwww, bless/smiley face hugging a heart emoji" moment.

Possibly, my wife mutters a lot of “knit two, purl one” type statements when she’s knitting from a pattern.
Oh, that's if you're doing rib.

So you can do a stitch that's got ridges kind of, like at the end of a sleeve of a jumper for example. Or at the waist.

I'll just field all your knitting questions lads. I'll have to refer crocheting related questions to my daughter however.

I've realised that if you're cursed with electric stoves, pots and pans work much better if you polish the ever living shit out of the bottom of the pan so that it's gleaming and completely grease free.

Stating the bleeding obvious maybe, but it finally dawned on me that if I'm conducting heat into a bit of metal to cook with it might possibly work better if I don't have a dirty great layer of insulation for it to go through first.

Star Wars opened in the USA in May 1977. OK, I knew that.

BUT it didn't open in the UK and Ireland until 27 December 1977 (makes no sense for selling toys and merch).
it was already on release in most European countries before that e.g. France - 19 October 1977

Star Wars release date info:

I don't think star wars toys were made until a bit after the movie. Maybe sometime in 78.

The merchandise tie in was very different and smaller until after star wars.

My local cinema would show things about two weeks before it got into Xtra-Vision. Good old days.

Star Wars opened in the USA in May 1977. OK, I knew that.

BUT it didn't open in the UK and Ireland until 27 December 1977 (makes no sense for selling toys and merch).
it was already on release in most European countries before that e.g. France - 19 October 1977

Star Wars release date info:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've realised that if you're cursed with electric stoves, pots and pans work much better if you polish the ever living shit out of the bottom of the pan so that it's gleaming and completely grease free.

Stating the bleeding obvious maybe, but it finally dawned on me that if I'm conducting heat into a bit of metal to cook with it might possibly work better if I don't have a dirty great layer of insulation for it to go through first.

I've been on a campaign of replacing all my pots/pans with ones that match the diameter of the electric stove and to ones that all have the thicker layer bottom bit. Also stainless steel all the way. Getting a fair bit more out of the lower settings on the cooker with these and tiered steamers. I just need a 17cm moka pot that does one cup now.

in 'no country for old men', sherriff bell (tommy lee jones's character) while talking about how lawless things have become, says 'here a while back in san antonio, they shot and killed a federal judge'.
the movie is set in 1980 - and in 1979 a judge *was* murdered in san antonio, by woody harrelson's dad.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I remember hearing somewhere that Star Wars started out pretty shit as directed, and the editor was amazing and saved the day.

Presumably I heard this off the editor, but I think the general feeling was Lucas would make shite films altogether if he was given half a chance ang got very lucky with the guy who cobbled together Star Wars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back