Things I should have known before now... (7 Viewers)

Tweet from local cafe today:

"Some total lunatic came in for breakfast today. Sam was playing guitar and yer man was staring him out of it, then he ordered in what sounded like Chinese. We just gave him the breakfast anyway, nobody could understand a word he was saying."
In fairness the staff were absolutely excellent. The food was, well, precisely to the standard I expected. Which is what I wanted. An amusing conceit nonetheless, sir.

Garth Brooks songwriting partner named the song "The Dance" after Riverdance, because he thought that would endear him to an Irish audience. Géaraith didn't know anything about Flatley et al.

In fairness to Garth, he was glad he didn't know, the way it all would end, the way it all would go.

The Garth Brooks song “Ain’t Going Down til the Sun Comes Up” was originally going to be included on the soundtrack to Werner Herzog’s Nosferatu but they went with making the movie 20 years earlier and having Popol Vuh do the soundtrack.

After buying shares in Tayto, which were very lucrative, Garth took a change of musical direction.

He insisted to his management that he could afford to do this considering the value of his Tayto shares. But eventually he relented somewhat and agreed that Chris Gaines was a better name than Crisp Gains.

In other news, on this day 50 years ago:

Was aware something happened there and then, but there was a lot more to unpack reading that. The Irish lads were fighting Belgians?!

"Commandant Quinlan's action is cited in military textbooks worldwide as the best example of the use of the so-called perimeter defence".

And more.

Just realised this was voiced by Donald Pleasance
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Emmerdale has loads of good looking women in it.
I always thought it was full of auld famers sitting around a bar drinking ale & smoking pipes.

Last edited:
Was aware something happened there and then, but there was a lot more to unpack reading that. The Irish lads were fighting Belgians?!
I think they were close to a very productive Uranium mine, basically a money mine, which resulted in foreign interests dumping money into ensuring the mine kept producing.

So the mining interests dumped money in, and anyone in the area who felt like getting paid was tooled up and told to get to work booting the UN out. Congo was a Belgian colony up until around then, so you had a rake of leftover Belgian lads looking for paychecks, along with any other punters in the region.

I dunno. That was the run down I was given a very long time ago.

After buying shares in Tayto, which were very lucrative, Garth took a change of musical direction.

He insisted to his management that he could afford to do this considering the value of his Tayto shares. But eventually he relented somewhat and agreed that Chris Gaines was a better name than Crisp Gains.
Chip Gaines, shurely?

I think they were close to a very productive Uranium mine, basically a money mine, which resulted in foreign interests dumping money into ensuring the mine kept producing.

So the mining interests dumped money in, and anyone in the area who felt like getting paid was tooled up and told to get to work booting the UN out. Congo was a Belgian colony up until around then, so you had a rake of leftover Belgian lads looking for paychecks, along with any other punters in the region.

I dunno. That was the run down I was given a very long time ago.
Yeah it's something along those lines. Basically, Belgium liked the current administration, then when it got booted in elections the new administration asked the UN to help them police all the places in the country that didn't vote for them. Belgium made sure to give the 'rebels' a nice bit of support, and a bunch of Irish lads ended up in the middle of all that shit.

Yeah it's something along those lines. Basically, Belgium liked the current administration, then when it got booted in elections the new administration asked the UN to help them police all the places in the country that didn't vote for them. Belgium made sure to give the 'rebels' a nice bit of support, and a bunch of Irish lads ended up in the middle of all that shit.
I suppose all of Europe had its moments, but mother of God it's tough going reading about what Belgium did to that region. Medieval stuff altogether.

I suppose all of Europe had its moments, but mother of God it's tough going reading about what Belgium did to that region. Medieval stuff altogether.
Yeah, it's interesting cause a lot of those horrors are documented in some level of detail, and then you just think that the Brits and France and Spain and Portugal had just been doing all that shit for centuries before them and basically nobody cared at the time.

Yeah, it's interesting cause a lot of those horrors are documented in some level of detail, and then you just think that the Brits and France and Spain and Portugal had just been doing all that shit for centuries before them and basically nobody cared at the time.
oh really?
You think that behaviour was basically across the board? I don't know any better, I always pegged those guys are the worst in terms of thought out cruelty.

I remember getting told something along the lines of: if you're getting colonised, probably the best people to be colonized by would be the English. Because however bad you think the stuff they got up to was, the rest of the colonizing powers managed to be worse.

The stuff the Belgians did in the Congo was hellscape nightmare stuff that you'd actively try to forget because it was psychotic. Machine gunning protesters or death marches were sound in comparison.

on google street view, you can select all previous iterations of when the street view car passed.
it's passed my house 8 times, and twice in the last five months.
I think it only goes back a certain length of time. I was looking for a view that captured a friend who has since died but it's not there anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back