Things I should have known before now... (5 Viewers)

Is it trackable when the hobo persona came to the front?

I was thinking about this a while back. Like there are plenty of slightly serious songwriter lads floating about at a sort of journeyman level. If they stray from the ballad/pop thing they lose their audience. Outside of that there aren't a lot of things to 'be' as a male musician over about 27 who isn't A: essentially a bob dylan tribute B: very attractive and dreamy. Wondering did Waits just take a look at what was ahead of him and decide to make something that gave him more freedom as an entity.

I got Bone Machine in 1992 as a teen who knew little about Waits.
I still think it has some amazing songs.
however when I got a tape that had both Swordfishtrombones AND Rain Dogs on it (remember those ?)
I was really disappointed and thought it very lightweight in comparison.
the 70's albums with him basically just playing the piano don't appeal to me at all.

I've only heard bits of what Waits has done since - but the one album I listened to - Bad as Me - was also surprisingly good.
I can't think of many (any ?) mainstream (or otherwise) artists that were still doing some of their best material after 40 odd years.

one of the most bizarre moments in the history of thumped was a thread discussing the (then forth coming)
Tom Waits gig he did in a marquee in the Phoenix Park.

the tickets were priced at 116 and 131 Euros.

some people had even expected the gig to be more expensive and not one person complained.

he really needs to ditch the little hat, it makes him look silly.

lol was going to put something similar in the unpopular opinions thread.

All the people who want their music "authentic" falling for a guy who is pure showbiz.
Waits ticks the same boxes for me as Springsteen, the sentiment trumps the lack of authenticity.

Though young Bruce was probably more authentic than young Tom.

Probably Small Change. Which is my favourite of his as it happens.

Although Heart Attack and Vine has a bit of hobo stuff, and I'd put that at end of phase 1 Waits transitioning to 0hase 2.
small change, blue valentine and foreign affairs are really the hobo period for me.

it's pastiche at times, but 'invitation to the blues' gets me every time

the tickets were priced at 116 and 131 Euros.

some people had even expected the gig to be more expensive and not one person complained.

Pretty sure I complained. I remember I genuinely thought about watching the gig in Glasgow as it would be cheaper than watching the show a couple of miles up the road.

In fairness, ticket prices in Ireland for those big shows were all going completely bonkers back then.

It wasn't just a dream. Charli XCX & Rita Ora have done a duet.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hubba Hubba.
Good tune

There is some unholy amount of compression on that track ..good track though

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back