Thin Lizzy - Thunder and Lightning (1983) (1 Viewer)

Hmm. Some very dark stuff going on lyrically, Some Day She's Going To Hit Back, Baby Please Don't Go, Heart Attack,The Sun Goes Down. Fucking hell Phil. I would give anything to hear a remix of this album. The production and mix SUCK. I hate it! I always hated Chris Tsangarides and this album is everything that made him shit. I will never understand why he gets so much praise. I feel embarrassed for Brian Downey to have to have his drums sounding like this. Sorry, Cold Sweat is a facepalm for Lizzy (could be the production, if Phil wasn't growling it would be better) - blame Chris again.

Good points:
The second guitar solo in Thunder & Lightning (1.57) is unreal.
Vocals in This Is The One
Vocals in The Sun Goes Down
Baby Please Don't Go

DARREN WHATRON CAN FUCK OFF

This is not my kinda music at all, so this is very non-expert commentary based on 4 or 5 listens...

• The production is dreadful, the drums and the guitar riffing are all dulled and make almost no impact
  • That lead guitarist ought to be horsewhipped for jizzing all over everything like that. Disgusting.
  • Lyrics are shite.
  • It reminds me of growing up in pre-celtic tiger midlands Ireland which always felt hostile and threatening to sensitive lads like me. Adolescent fightin talk and making shapes, hanging around in groups eating chips amd trying to look hard, challenging people to fights, denim jackets etc. It's all here in this dismal music.

Having said all that, Philo's charm shines through here and there, as does the drummmer's and some of the riffs are catchy enough. I like the poppier and more soulful bits best, like Baby Please Don't Go (my favorite) and The Sun Goes Down. Someday has a hint of Rundgren/Utopia about it. In fairness, there is a lot here that could have been great but it got buried and lost. I guess they were just washed out at this point but they had a good run of it there for a while so no harm done. I think they peaked on Remembering II (New Day) .

On my third listen now. I can't really think of much to say other than it sounds like Thin Lizzy but that they're not firing on all cylinders. Some of the guitar work feels phoned in, Phil sounds distant and the overall production is fairly flat. I like "This Is the One" and "The Sun Goes Down" but find the rest of the album a bit of a trudge. I don't get @pete's love of "Cold Sweat" - it's fine but not doing much for me. I'm not likely to return to this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back