Thin Lizzy - Fighting (1975) (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 29
  • Views 6K
  • Watchers 2
after an initial feeling of 'meh' about this, I'm a bit amazed at how much I ended up liking it. Nay, I LOVE it.

Firstly, it has the best opening 20 seconds of any album ever. That opening riff, and the first couple of lines of Rosalie, are fantastic. I love it. And the rest of the song. It's a cover version, yeah? Didn't know that. Never heard the original. Have no interest hearing the original. This version will do me just fine.

I only knew, maybe 2 songs from this album before. In the past week I must have listened to the album about 4 times a day. I'll admit that it kind of washed over me for the first few days. Like, it was pleasant, that much was clear, but nothing was standing out.

But then it did.

One thing I'm a bit surprised about is the production. Like, for a hard-rock band, there's so much subtletly and, I suppose, tenderness, in the mixes for a lot of the songs.

As in, there are some amazing guitar riffs and solos, but they don't completely dominate the songs in the mix. I was thinking about why this might be. I figured they wanted the focus more on Philo, but that's probably unlikely. It's more a fortunate consequence of the production decisions that were taken.

(Ballad of the Hard Man being an obvious exception).

He really did have a wonderful voice. Very tender, very sweet. I would never have considered that about him until listening to this (only really knew greatest hits before).

And, fire ahead and shoot me for saying it, but in parts of the albums I'm reminded of a lot of other stuff. 'Wild One' reminds me a bit of 'Sultans of Swing', AND 'Wild Billy's Circus Story' by Bruce Springsteen. Not suggesting influence or anything like it - just that those songs popped into my head at different times.

And that dreadful band The Darkness were clearly influenced by Lizzy. Potential black mark there, but I won't hold it against them.

I won't go through a song-by-song critique cos I won't come close to @Lili Marlene's. Love 'em all though.

Philo was a musical superstar. Philo was from about 2 miles from where I grew up. What in the name of fuck was wrong with me that it took until I was 42 years old that I finally listened to a proper Thin Lizzy album. I'll be working through them all 1-by-1, but, based on the spotify radio station shite, they did through up a few songs that I thought weren't great. Still, more good than bad at this point.

4/5

I won't go through a song-by-song critique cos I won't come close to @Lili Marlene's. Love 'em all though.

Philo was a musical superstar. Philo was from about 2 miles from where I grew up. What in the name of fuck was wrong with me that it took until I was 42 years old that I finally listened to a proper Thin Lizzy album.

4/5

You're 42?!!! I thought you were a young 'un. And I mean that in a good way. Respect.

It's a great album and the awful cover has never done it justice. Wild One rules. Let's all meet up at the next Vibe For Philo.

You're 42?!!! I thought you were a young 'un. And I mean that in a good way. Respect.

It's a great album and the awful cover has never done it justice. Wild One rules. Let's all meet up at the next Vibe For Philo.
The back cover is better, they look more threatening:
THIN-LIZZY---FIGHTING-2014-EU-LP-2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back