The WTF Thread (8 Viewers)

He was specifically looking for a bastard that was black.
Because the colour of the rapist’s skin was black, hence ‘black bastard’
That's like that old Jerry Sadowitz joke about Lenny Henry. The audience reacts to his statement like the above, and he says "no wait a minute, wait a minute, he IS a bastard, yeah? ..............and he's black". Whatever the context, there's no way to put those two sentiments together without sounding like a prick.

Am I wrong in thinking it's entirely deliberate? Who uses the word "cosh"? He's not a 1950's East End thug.

That's like that old Jerry Sadowitz joke about Lenny Henry. The audience reacts to his statement like the above, and he says "no wait a minute, wait a minute, he IS a bastard, yeah? ..............and he's black". Whatever the context, there's no way to put those two sentiments together without sounding like a prick.

Am I wrong in thinking it's entirely deliberate? Who uses the word "cosh"? He's not a 1950's East End thug.

Yeah, I think it’s awful behaviour tha but in hindsight he is fully aware it’s shameful and wrong and not cool.

I’m sure if the rapist was white he’d be walking around looking for a white bastard. Every has thoughts that could be considered racist by someone not knowing their reasoning or context or anything.

It’s human to have prejudices but it’s having intelligence to know how that it’s just what they are and you’d be a racist to enact them. Showing remorse and genuine humiliation. Was this before or after his wife died?
Getting all blown out of proportion at this stage

Well his story is "Here is a terrible racist thing that I did in the past and i'm ashamed of it." He's not asking for a pass, I don't see anything to get worked up about here.

I think his entire comment was beyond the pale, his reaction, his decision and his words, all either dangerously mad, or, more probably, lies.
The particular bit that's actually problematic is thinking it was acceptable to speak in his thirty-years-ago voice and say what he said...knowingly (?) broadcasting those words directly onto the front pages of a hundred newspapers. It's a horrible thing to do, stretching the Overton Window just another notch towards the shitty.

Very glad I don't have a twitter account any more.

Shifting the overton window?? You think this is him secretly trying to encourage racist acts? That's quite the leap.

You'll be calling him a strasserite next.

I did not read that interview and think that Neeson was acknolweding the racism of his thinking or act at all. He was ashamed of acting violently and learned a lesson about revenge, not about racism. Point to me where he acts ashamed or understands the abhorent racism of his actions?

Secondly, I am sick of seeing people say "people act X way when something tragic happens to them". Something tragic did NOT happen to Liam Neeson, something tragic happened to a woman in his life. It is a horrible, horrible thing to see someone you love in pain and feel the immobilization that comes with that, but this was not his tragedy. His decision to try and harm the person responsible is a fucking selfish response which could have further traumatized the actual victim of this crime. I once told a person I was dating at one point about a sexual trauma I had been through as a young teen, and he too flipped his lid, threw his toys out of the pram, punched the wall and said if he could he'd kill them with a hammer. Who did he say that for, I ask, me or him, because it certainly did me no good. Only a fucking man.

So sick of reading NONSENSE saying his racism was a reaction to violence. NO. Sorry but no. Racism is violence.

AND all this from a man who only a few months ago called the "me too" movement a witch hunt? Get the fucking out Liam Neeson and I hope the door hits you on the way out.

The only good thing about him bringing this up, is that it exposes what I have no doubt so many other white Irish men in his situation would have done, not only in terms of their jump to be shockingly racist, but to completely imobolize a woman in her trauma by making it your vengence movie plot. Fuck. Off.

Shifting the overton window?? You think this is him secretly trying to encourage racist acts? That's quite the leap.

You'll be calling him a strasserite next.
Why will I be calling him a Strasserite? I'm arguing that having these nonsensical words broadcast across the western world's front pages - whatever the context or intent - is stretching the boundary of what's acceptable speech in normal discourse. It's a shitty thing to do.

Why will I be calling him a Strasserite? I'm arguing that having these nonsensical words broadcast across the western world's front pages - whatever the context or intent - is stretching the boundary of what's acceptable speech in normal discourse. It's a shitty thing to do.
I was kidding about the strasserite thing, I was just a bit taken aback at the "shifting the overton window" over a celebrity interview where they confessed they were ashamed of the insane racist thing they did in the past. It'd be different if he was saying it was a good laugh and isn't it grand we've all moved on but let's get nostalgic about when it was ok to be racist. Admitting his problems in the past is not a shitty thing to do.

I did not read that interview and think that Neeson was acknolweding the racism of his thinking or act at all. He was ashamed of acting violently and learned a lesson about revenge, not about racism. Point to me where he acts ashamed or understands the abhorent racism of his actions?

Secondly, I am sick of seeing people say "people act X way when something tragic happens to them". Something tragic did NOT happen to Liam Neeson, something tragic happened to a woman in his life. It is a horrible, horrible thing to see someone you love in pain and feel the immobilization that comes with that, but this was not his tragedy. His decision to try and harm the person responsible is a fucking selfish response which could have further traumatized the actual victim of this crime. I once told a person I was dating at one point about a sexual trauma I had been through as a young teen, and he too flipped his lid, threw his toys out of the pram, punched the wall and said if he could he'd kill them with a hammer. Who did he say that for, I ask, me or him, because it certainly did me no good. Only a fucking man.

So sick of reading NONSENSE saying his racism was a reaction to violence. NO. Sorry but no. Racism is violence.

AND all this from a man who only a few months ago called the "me too" movement a witch hunt? Get the fucking out Liam Neeson and I hope the door hits you on the way out.

The only good thing about him bringing this up, is that it exposes what I have no doubt so many other white Irish men in his situation would have done, not only in terms of their jump to be shockingly racist, but to completely imobolize a woman in her trauma by making it your vengence movie plot. Fuck. Off.

Well, having listened to The interview, I think he is ashamed of his behaviour, which was both racist and violent

I was kidding about the strasserite thing, I was just a bit taken aback at the "shifting the overton window" over a celebrity interview where they confessed they were ashamed of the insane racist thing they did in the past. It'd be different if he was saying it was a good laugh and isn't it grand we've all moved on but let's get nostalgic about when it was ok to be racist. Admitting his problems in the past is not a shitty thing to do.
Well that's certainly true. Using the bluntest verbal and conceptual instruments to hand while speaking into the world's biggest loudhailer is another thing though.

Well that's certainly true. Using the bluntest verbal and conceptual instruments to hand while speaking into the world's biggest loudhailer is another thing though.
We can probably agree that the shitty media empires of the world and the entire mechanisms of Hollywood fame need to be burnt to the ground.

Oh maybe, I assumed he was talking about the racism of his actions as well but maybe he wasn't.

As for the rest, I don't know, I haven't been following this story too closely. I thought the point of his story was that he was idiot not that he was honourable. I'm not being sarky here, are people saying what he did was ok because of what happened to his friend? I'd say his reaction is not ok but is somewhat understandable in that I know plenty of lads with anger issues, who almost take pride in their anger issues.

We can probably agree that the shitty media empires of the world and the entire mechanisms of Hollywood fame need to be burnt to the ground.
Yep!
I know I come across as madly virtue-signalling in these kinds of discussions, but it's mostly about clarifying and testing what I think.
The Young Angry Male defence is a load of bollocks.

I think my feelings on it are that people are focuSing on the fact that he acted in anger, that his anger is rationalizable, and generally having a conversation about anger. Much like Liam Neeson does in the interview, he focuses on atoning for his anger and his violence. Which yes, I agree, this is well addressed in his interview, and he talks about his being brought up having a worrying relationship with anger, etc. Worthwhile conversations to have. and no I don't feel like he's trying to justify this anger.

My issue more is that this is not necessarily the only or indeed most disturbing factor in this story, nor do I feel like squinting between the lines to try to find an apology for the racism here. I find it really disturbing that this anger so quickly escalated into a violence that led him to a position where he was happy to kill pretty much any black man on the back of a tragedy he had no right to claim. Particularly when there is a long, long, sad, shameful history of white men using the trope of racially motivated violence against black men as "protecting white women".

Maybe I'm being harsh, but I've read so many tweets, articles and shite this morning of people trying to say people are over-reacting for being scared or upset at this kind of thing. I feel like saying "he's atoning, stop being upset about it" is just really hard to swallow, because 1) I hate to repeat myself but I see zero apology for his racism here 2) I see zero understanding of how men acting this way actually affects the women who have been traumatized by sexual violence and 3) even if he is apologizing that doesn't necessarily mean that he should be forgiven.

Ah yeah, and apologies for the vitriol, again I'm not coming for anyone, I just found this story very disturbing and upsetting.

I find it interesting that he just admits stupid things he's done. like 'I am a moron'. You can at least tell he's not running scripts for his publicist based on market research. I'm not trying to give him a passport but I'd say there's a fair few hollywoods brimming with racism that'll happily spout PR for 50 years and then get a star set in concrete and a few simpering eulogies, also written by publicists.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Anthony
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back