The WTF Thread (5 Viewers)

one time i took a line of ket thinking it was something else then tried to walk home like Mr Soft. great craic

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Excellent and accurate description

Two things
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm amazed I never heard of this
And "Josh Hommy'

It looks dreadful

yeah, i'm adopted myself (from bessborough i think) and this doc is about a mate of ours who's passed, not sure i'll be able to listen to it tbh
My dad's mum was in Bessborough when she had him, I find it all very confusing to think about, never mind my dad who I think struggles to connect himself to the awful things that have come out now about 'mother and baby' homes. I was quite freaked out by the Tuam babies revelation, thinking those 'illegitimate' children who were dumped in a septic tank were the same cohort as my dad, but the only time I hinted around the edges of that idea to him he seemed very nonplussed as if that was a bit mad to be saying. But he has always been very avoidant around the topic of his birth mother, and then I wonder about how his fear and avoidance of difficult emotional topics has passed on into his marriage and children and how far the effects of it might propagate, has it affected me (yes), will it go on into my brother's kids (I'm not having any) and so on. A parent's emotional pathologies strongly control how a child learns to relate to the world so the knock-on effects of this can go through generations, even though it was nothing I ever thought about for most of my life.

Anyhoo I've had a bottle of wine and that was a big ramble also hello thumped, I forgot my login for a few years but I'm back now.

My dad's mum was in Bessborough when she had him, I find it all very confusing to think about, never mind my dad who I think struggles to connect himself to the awful things that have come out now about 'mother and baby' homes. I was quite freaked out by the Tuam babies revelation, thinking those 'illegitimate' children who were dumped in a septic tank were the same cohort as my dad, but the only time I hinted around the edges of that idea to him he seemed very nonplussed as if that was a bit mad to be saying. But he has always been very avoidant around the topic of his birth mother, and then I wonder about how his fear and avoidance of difficult emotional topics has passed on into his marriage and children and how far the effects of it might propagate, has it affected me (yes), will it go on into my brother's kids (I'm not having any) and so on. A parent's emotional pathologies strongly control how a child learns to relate to the world so the knock-on effects of this can go through generations, even though it was nothing I ever thought about for most of my life.

Anyhoo I've had a bottle of wine and that was a big ramble also hello thumped, I forgot my login for a few years but I'm back now.
Sheesh, you could have told us you were dropping by, we could have tidied up a bit, opened a few windows, deleted some embarrassing threads...

I was born in 1983 to single mother, reading and listening to these stories is too much. We escaped that fate but we could so easily have had a very different life.
Our teenage neighbour got pregs in the 80s
The Dad - who had murdered the Ma but got off with it - chased her out of the house
We lived on an estate, but he had a shotgun cos his family were farmers
Anyway, my Ma took her in. My Ma was fearless when it came to this shit. She’d accost anyone hitting their kid in the street (when people still did that).

So we had to deal with a scared pregnant teen (for which muggins here had to give up his room) who was determined to keep her kid.
And a drunk, shame-filled psychopath around the corner with a gun who’d come and yell outside the house at night calling her a whore.
The slightly funny thing about this is he was concerned about the shame she was bringing on the family. And as far as shame goes, he was making it all.
But she still had it better than most that went before her. She was protected and nurtured by my ma and us.
The father stuck by her (through the pregnancy at least). And she eventually had some kind of life.
My mother fought for her because of her own experiences, and she got it from her Ma, born on a dirt floor in Mayo and given to cousins.

Women endure so fucking much, it’s basically unimaginable.

I know a liitle bit about you, Cornu
I know you are a big successful scientist with an ology and a loving wife.
You've done your Ma proud, my man. If that's not too personal to say.

I once told an American co-worker that I grew up on an estate in Dublin and he thought I meant like this

4840d20d-68fa-44a9-a697-6e6903543a93-tottenham-house-stately-home-new-image-news-s.jpg

He was like, "what happened that you're here? Were you cut out of the inheritance or something??"

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back