The Whatmans (1 Viewer)

ah here, not these guys again

I still can't decide which image I prefer

l_6e903875ae7748aea5115db219c9d6db.jpg

or

l_e3b2d0dedb335270844af767eb971b39.jpg

so versatile

The Script are an Irish pop rock band from Dublin, Ireland. Currently based in London after signing to Sony Label Group imprint Phonogenic, the band released their debut album of the same name in August 2008. The band's influences include a diverse group of artists that include U2, The Police, The Neptunes, Timbaland, and Van Morrison, all of which contribute to their distinct sound

In April of 2010, Maroon 5 is coming out with their third studio album. The band has been posting trailers for the album since September 2009. They have stated that the album will be "more organic" than their second release. The video for "Wake Up Call" also contains such material and also presented as a trailer for a fictional NC-17 rated movie. Giving insight into his view on violence in entertainment, in 1999 Levine wrote a letter to the editors contradicting an article that linked school shootings with the film Natural Born Killers, saying "where people copied the violence they saw elsewhere only speaks to the disturbed nature of these individuals and their lack of originality."

Laying In Awe

A life in music

He said Captain, I said Whatmans

I don’t often venture out to gigs as much as I would have done back in the day, so it takes something special to get me over the door and out into the country.
Having heard rather a lot over recent months about a Battle of the Bands competition in a local town, with the prize at stake being a stage slot at the Glastonbury festival, I thought it would be prime opportunity to catch up on a lot of the best local and regional talent around, the creme de la creme, if you will, of the upcoming new wave of talent, especially in light of the paddywhackery of a recent Guardian article, and the great user comments that proceeded it about the current state of Irish music.
So I tripped along to sunny Shercock in Cavan and the Ship Inn, the venue for the contest, and saw some truly fine acts fight it out for the prestigious place at Pilton Farm in the summer.
The Myth, The Making, Turbulent Eddy, Serial Twin, Humbuzzer and Shouting At Planes all rocked well and gave hugely impressive accounts of themselves. The eventual outcome was a bit of a hometown decision, but the one true winner on the night, though, was the Navan-based Whatmans, whose set, supported by a fine turnout of fans and new converts on the night alike, was one of those goosebump moments that comes along very seldom in this pop life.
Opening their short set with the slow-burning and epic Soldier, and closing with upcoming single, Devil Shoes, they showed themselves to be possibly the best unsigned act in the country.
Soldier was an unlikely opener, but it came across as U2’s Moment Of Surrender without the pretension, filled with equal bombast and driving energy.
Tracks like Follow Me, Guns of Dublin and This One’s For The Music have an immediate and solid connection with their audience, and if their debut album, slated for November release, can capture their powerful live act, they are destined for a major label deal and all that comes thereafter.
The Whatmans’ uncanny knack with the anthemic twist, echoes of the Verve at their best and a canny pop sensibility, they showed potential beyond their environment and I would not be concerned at their loss on the night. They will one day grace Glastonbury, and at a headier slot than this win might have brought them.
They are one to watch, and if they continue to gig and develop their already confident and accomplished presence, the sky is the limit.
Watch them take off…

5 Tips for writing a Press Release

WRITE ON: 5 TIPS TO PUT
YOUR IRISH PRESS RELEASE ON TOP

THE HEADLINE: Get to the point of the message you’re trying to get across in the headline. At irishpressreleases.ie we much prefer that it is clear who is promoting the news / announcement. We really do not like teasing headlines which do not make it obvious who is doing the promoting and what actual service / product / event is being promoted. Bad headlines would be “Costico solves recession problems for Irish businesses”, “A cut ahead of the rest”, “Change your motor” but rather along the lines of “Costico launches recruitment website” or “John Smith opens hairdressers in Carlow” or “BDM Motor Exhibition on in RDS in April” i.e. clearly saying who and what. Remember you are not a journalist - let them write the teasing headlines.

Don’t worry about not being able to fit in as much information as possible in the headline. You can use the sub heading to flesh out your point.

If you’re having difficulty condensing your headline, then write out a grammatically correct sentence with all the articles etc., then just knock off words until you have it short enough to fit in one line on the top of the page. Again, you can use the sub heading to go into more detail, although it should add to, and not ape, what’s in the headline.

WORDING: Don’t use superlatives exaggerating the claims of what your product or service can do. Reporters find these disingenuous and tiresome. Even worse, their sceptical nature means journalists will be even more likely not to believe your claims.

Avoid using flowery language, buzzwords, jargon, bureaucratic phrasing or clichés. This only clutters your message and will also make the release unnecessarily longer than it should be. The only time to use jargon would be if your audience were already familiar with such language. For instance, if you were writing a press release about a private equity deal and it was directed at business publications, then you can assume the publication will be literate in such jargon.

Otherwise, keep it simple with just the facts. That will convey your message to deadline-fighting journalists in a much more timely fashion.

If you want to talk up your products, allow quotes to do the work for you. This gives your press release some air of objectivity rather than putting unattributed claims in the body of the release. If a company representative quoted in the release does make a claim such as “Our product is unlike any other on the market today,” get them to back up that boast. In this case, they would explain why the product is unique.

THE BODY TEXT: The most effective press releases use the inverted pyramid. This writing model allows the reader to find out the most important information first, with the less important information to follow. That way you cut to the chase early and save the recipients of the press release a lot of time.

The What you’re announcing and the Why it’s a big deal should be the first questions you answer. These may have been touched on in the headline and the sub heading, but they obviously need to be fleshed out.

The Who, Where, When and How need to be addressed also, but are deeper in the press release for a reason: It’s less important information that takes a back seat to the main point of the press release.

At the same time, one pet peeve of journalists is when a press release leaves out vital information, for example, the launch date for a product. You won’t get that follow-up call if you leave out such basic information.

It’s also a good idea to include a few sentences on what your company or organisation does and where it’s positioned in the market or what makes it different from other companies in the same field. Don’t assume everyone’s already heard of you.

Press releases often leave out the price of a product or service being touted. While you may want to reel the media in to talk about the merits of a product/service and then reveal the price, it’s an irritating ploy that will probably get your release binned.

LENGTH: Even if you’re announcing that you’ve discovered a way to turn coal into oil in just 60 seconds, your press release should be just one page long. No matter how important you think it is, remember it’s up to your audience to make up their minds as to its newsworthiness.

CONTACT INFO: This should always be at the bottom of the page and it should also be comprehensive, including Web site addresses, e-mails and fax numbers. Amazingly, many Internet sites fail to provide snail mail or physical addresses for their operations. Such information helps build a greater sense of confidence among potential customers as to the legitimacy of your operation.
Finally, for a greater insight into what the media wants from Irish press releases and public relations officers and what they could do without, go to: http://www.netpress.org/careandfeeding.html.

Thanks for the tip, its really help full.
we are playing sat 17 th April Sugar club. come along as our guest PM me

go on I dare ya

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back