The Wexford accent (1 Viewer)

Yes, run by Bob and Stephen. I think one of them died a while back.

Robbie, actually, and Mike, don't remember a Stephen. It was my Grandad's and then Robbie took over, Rob was my uncle.
I used to pretend to be a secretary in the office during the summer. Great fun altogether.

Do the words "legend" and "savage" to express enthusiasm originate from Wexford?

These have been cropping up everywhere over the last year.

i use savage sometimes myself and im from westmeath but i dunno if it comes naturally to me or if i caught it off someone but i know someone from galway who says it too so i reckon its fairly universal

I've never heard "legend" and "savage" being said but they've been cropping up on message boards for a while now

maybe its a young persons thing

a young cultchie persons thing

this record belongs everywhere

Planete_sauvage_DC33CD-720505.jpg

great Lazarus-like performance from Wexford today.

streamed the game on the laptop with the sound down.

had Liam Spratt commentating from South East Radio on the PC.

deadly.

jesus I bet he nearly died when they scored the second goal..

Hes from my neck of the woods.

i was born in 1975 and lived in co. wexford from 75-76 and 78 to 87.

the one uniquely co. wexford word i can come up with is
' QUARE ' - which means very.
e.g. - " he's a quare big eejit. "

i gave up using the word after i left co.wexford and the only people i know who use it are from the south east. including my relatives from new ross.

I went to WIT and its full of Wexford gurriers, check this out:

Person 1: Jes lad, dat lad some quare e-git lad.
Person 2: Aw stop lad quare e-git alright lad.

And when they talk about places it always "the next parish over"
The fuck is that??

I went to WIT and its full of Wexford gurriers, check this out:

Person 1: Jes lad, dat lad some quare e-git lad.
Person 2: Aw stop lad quare e-git alright lad.

And when they talk about places it always "the next parish over"
The fuck is that??

It means the next village over etc..

I call them 'Angry Nordies".

What is it with nordies always being self-righteously cross about something? Even my ma, who is from the north, comments on it. I once sent a helpful email to a guy, and signed it off, 'hope this helps', only to get back this absolutely insanely paranoid email filled with 'i know what you're up to' insinuations, and links to urbandictionary.com, where, unbeknownst to me, 'hope this helps' is defined as nerd-speak for telling someone you think they're a big fool.

What a total wand.

Me and nordies = over.

I always think I'm talking to Nordies when I meet Wexford folk

People from Wicklow get that too. I remember as a youngster at Feile every second stranger I'd meet would ask me which part of the North I was from.

But I've never really been able to understand how you can mix up the authentic Wicklow whine with a real Northern accent when they're side by side. I think some people are just completely accent deaf.

My pet hate with accents is meeting someone with a heavy duty D4 accent who then tells you that they're from Kerry and have never even lived in the big smoke. What the fuck is that about? Were they segregated off in a D4 pen as children?

The D4 accent doesn't bother me at all if someone's actually from there but cultivating it down the country is just stupid and a sure fire way to ensure that your kid is hated by his peers.

i was born in 1975 and lived in co. wexford from 75-76 and 78 to 87.

the one uniquely co. wexford word i can come up with is
' QUARE ' - which means very.
e.g. - " he's a quare big eejit. "

i gave up using the word after i left co.wexford and the only people i know who use it are from the south east. including my relatives from new ross.

They saw quare everywhere in fairness. It's quare common altogether.

I like New Ross. It's theatre has an orchestra pit and lots of deadly props. I'd like to live in that theatre.

I've just finished 4 weeks training with a quare wexford savage, his name is John and he was about 40% of the reason why I left said job.

Mishapen skull - flat on top

TERRIBLE habit of repeating anything that had just been said in a (failed) effort to show that he "got" everything

Told another colleague he was a virgin (in the canteen, where you really don't nee to hear this type of info)

Told another colleague that if he does have kids he's going to make them head butt a trailer every day to "toughen up" their skulls so then his grand-kids would have hard skulls . . . .

Had the sneeze of legend which he swore he didn't get any prior warning of and DIDN'T COVER HIS MOUTH FOR

I like New Ross. It's theatre has an orchestra pit and lots of deadly props. I'd like to live in that theatre.

St Michael's Theatre.

I lent them (the New Ross Musical Society) a pair of duelling pistols for their production of Oliver! in 1980.

Got a few rolls of 'caps' in return.

Mishapen skull - flat on top

+

Told another colleague that if he does have kids he's going to make them head butt a trailer every day to "toughen up" their skulls so then his grand-kids would have hard skulls . . . .

Interesting! At least he practices what he preaches!

What is it with nordies always being self-righteously cross about something? Even my ma, who is from the north, comments on it. I once sent a helpful email to a guy, and signed it off, 'hope this helps', only to get back this absolutely insanely paranoid email filled with 'i know what you're up to' insinuations, and links to urbandictionary.com, where, unbeknownst to me, 'hope this helps' is defined as nerd-speak for telling someone you think they're a big fool.

What a total wand.

Me and nordies = over.

Hi Kirstal,

I think most noride (sorry johnnystress) accents sound innately aggressive for some reason!

Hope this helps,

fancyG

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back