The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico (1967) (1 Viewer)

Fascinating insight into what America does to people's minds in this tea-party era interview with her

not holding it against her or her music, it's genuinely just a bonkers read of that peak anti-Obama period.

Fascinating insight into what America does to people's minds in this tea-party era interview with her

not holding it against her or her music, it's genuinely just a bonkers read of that peak anti-Obama period.
I remember her being filmed for a vox pop at a Tea Party demo. as far as I know she raised her family in Georgia and had a job working at Wal Mart. she never saw much money in her life.

i saw john cale a couple of years ago in the NCH and it was one of the most bizarrely inconsistent gigs i've seen. i got the impression his band were terrified of him.
one of the songs he played was called 'what is the legal status of ice?' which posed the question 'what is the legal status of ice?', repeatedly.

i saw john cale a couple of years ago in the NCH and it was one of the most bizarrely inconsistent gigs i've seen. i got the impression his band were terrified of him.
one of the songs he played was called 'what is the legal status of ice?' which posed the question 'what is the legal status of ice?', repeatedly.
I was sorry I missed that.

I would love to hear Paris 1919 live. Thats my favourite post VU album

one of the formative albums of my youth was 'new york'. also, i remember a few years later, one of my mum's friends showing a weird interest in what music i liked (my mum probably told her i was usually buried in headphones) and wanted to hear what i was listening to; i had 'street hassle' on a CD in the cd player at the time, so stuck that on for her and she really liked it. i don't think she really copped the lyrics though.

I could wax on endlessly about this album but ....
The Cale gig in the NCH was totally amazing, I sort of dreaded the possibility of seeing a genteel 'rainy season' kind of show.. great to see that level of high-wire action and sheer wilful discomfort from a man approaching his 8th decade. Post velvets faves would include 'Songs for Drella' and this among many many others
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I also mostly loved the NCH gig, his voice was great, and he played Hedda Gabler. I don't know what post-VU I'd give my number one to but recently Cale's Music For A New Society has been getting the most play and I never really noticed Moe Tucker had a solo career but I like those tunes above.

Did this get posted yet? Worth your attention. They invented everything, and did it better than anyone else. Fuckers.

They invented everything???

If we're being ridiculous i'm going to go out here and stake the claim that they were just ripping of Bo Diddley and Joe Meek while James Brown was busy inventing funk. They only got the credit for it because they were in New York and wearing sunglasses.

They invented everything???

If we're being ridiculous i'm going to go out here and stake the claim that they were just ripping of Bo Diddley and Joe Meek while James Brown was busy inventing funk. They only got the credit for it because they were in New York and wearing sunglasses.
I should add an asterisk when I'm deliberately being ridiculous, so there's no room for this kind of dreadful misunderstanding

I should add an asterisk when I'm deliberately being ridiculous, so there's no room for this kind of dreadful misunderstanding
I honestly don't know what my position on this kind of thing is. Is it better that everyone just accepts that there is no originality in this world so we can just get on with things, or is it too much fun to make claims to originality just to wind others up?? I can't decide.

I honestly don't know what my position on this kind of thing is. Is it better that everyone just accepts that there is no originality in this world so we can just get on with things, or is it too much fun to make claims to originality just to wind others up?? I can't decide
Interesting. I wasn't doing a windup there, clearly, just slapping a bit of hyperbolix under a good link. If this had been 20 years ago I might have enjoyed a good punchup to try and parse the DNA and heritage of the VU, and stick to my guns about their originality, maybe learn something on the way. The thought of doing it now though fills me with a nameless dread, both because I know less about music now, and I am small of brain. And, most importantly, because I am sick to my teeth of those kind of conversations. I'll say this much: Synthesis through one's own unique creative process is inevitably to some degree original, even if you're trying really hard not to be original. There's lots of originality in the world.

The velvet underground and....

iron-maiden-drummer-nicko-mcbrain.jpg

Can it not be derivative and original at the same time?
Absolutely. Like Burgerbarbaby's post above says.

Hook me up with some examples of Bo Diddley sounding like VU!
Eh... TLDR: he doesn't actually.

HOWEVER: I believe we discussed in this thread several years ago that Moe Tucker was a big Bo Diddley fan so ALL OF THEIR DRUMS, and then his general percussive, tremelo-y guitar style was a massive influence on everything strange that came after, from Captain Beefheart to Nick Cave to Pere Ubu, basically that entire American weirdness movement. Anyway, it's all there in the original Bo Diddley track, bearing in mind it was 1955.

He doesn't have the educated, avant-garde art side of Velvet Underground (the John Cale bit?) or the pop art of Andy Warhol knocking around so his more drony, one chord sound came naturally rather than as a compositional comment, ultimately he's firmly rooted in the blues.

Last edited:
Originality and ownership belong to the idea of music as a commodity. The VU are part of a story that did not begin with them and is far from over. They were a seismic event though ... mind-blowingly large. My hype comment is that their influence and worth can't be overstated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back