The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico (1967) (1 Viewer)

I wonder how many copies of the other albums he has? It would be almost weird if he just had one of each.

I'd love to go to his place and ask him to throw on Loaded.

6woNkn.gif

Been listening to the stuff I like off this a lot this week, that is to say Run, Run, Run, All Tomorrow's Parties and The Black Angel Death Song.

With this in mind what album should I listen to next by them? I've never listened to any of their other albums.

You might as well just go through them in order. White Light White Heat is the only other essential one, imo. The others are good too though. Good solid rock album's, like, with good songs, but not as exciting.
I’d say that all four are essential but White Light/White Heat is my favourite. The other two are much more under Lou Reed’s influence so are more song-orientated than art rock (or whatever you want to call WL/WH) and the songs are miles ahead of most of his solo output. It’s like he got all his good writing done and then jumped ship after Loaded.

I’d say that all four are essential but White Light/White Heat is my favourite. The other two are much more under Lou Reed’s influence so are more song-orientated than art rock (or whatever you want to call WL/WH) and the songs are miles ahead of most of his solo output. It’s like he got all his good writing done and then jumped ship after Loaded.

I've never bothered listening to Squeeze, having assumed that it was dire. Is it worth giving a listen just for completeness and curiosity.

Been listening to the stuff I like off this a lot this week, that is to say Run, Run, Run, All Tomorrow's Parties and The Black Angel Death Song.

With this in mind what album should I listen to next by them? I've never listened to any of their other albums.

Well it looks to me like you are into the jacked-up & gleefully off your trolley Velvets vibe. So I'd skip the exploratory album listening and go straight to Sister Ray:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Then check the essential Boston tea-party live extended version of Sister Ray(amazing):

Mr Rain from the 90s redux Paris concert:

Albums: You will probably love 'White Light White Heat'. Super Velvets album and my favourite.
After this Nico album, White Light White Heat lp, the VU Compilation and the live Paris Redux album are my favourites.
The Paris show is on YouTube in full. I remember seeing it in the 90s and being blown away.
I think Cale has some excellent solo material since also. Fragments of a rainy season is my all time favourite there, Paris1919, Slow Dazzle too. Songs like Guts and fear's a man's best friend are very abrasive in a Velvet's vein. His early 80s Rockplaast concert is great, also up on YouTube I'd say.

I went to New York in November to the Velvet Underground and Nico 50th anniversary concert, and Kurt Vile basically took Run Run Run and ramped it up to the hilt....people were rocking hether and forth in fits as it played. They finished with 'Sister Ray'. A song that is very much a progression from the Nico album. 'Heroin's half sister.

I should probably listen to White Light White Heat so. I've dipped in and out of John Cale's discography over the years, not being Lou Reed really helped his basic case for me. It's like 800 thousand albums long though so I'll probably never properly get into him.

@Cornu Ammonis tell me what to think about this

I’m hoping it’s good, it doesn’t look like any unseen archive footage unfortunately but I really love Velvet Goldmine so have high hopes for Haynes doing VU justice. It’s on Apple TV though so I guess I’ll never find out.

Moe Tucker's 1982 version of Heroin

Moe Tucker - Lazy (1991)

she's as talented as anyone in VU and deserves more attention

Moe Tucker's 1982 version of Heroin

Moe Tucker - Lazy (1991)

she's as talented as anyone in VU and deserves more attention

Absolutely. I have one of her LPs and it’s probably my favourite post-VU album by any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back