The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico (1967) (2 Viewers)

I was about to mention the 4'33" thing when I realised that's John Cage
To add to your confusion, Cale did perform with Cage in the mid-60s. They performed a 24 hour piano piece by Erik Satie called "Vexations" along with another handful of pianists (*snigger*) organised by Cage. It was the first full performance of the piece (and not sure if it has been done since).

tumblr_inline_mwzj91120d1rpuuct.jpg

Fantastic record. Listen to it every now and again and have done for years. Looking forward to blasting it over the weekend. Don't get the Warhol distaste though. To me, it's association with that "scene" is one of the (many) things that make it interesting i.e. the NY/East Coast arty anti-hippie thing.

The first time i listened to this, I was 14 or so. I got to the end, said out load "what a pile of shit." Then I put it on again, and listened to it again. And again. And again. Insanely beguiling record. When I graduated to CDs it was the first I bought. Every band I was ever in was a cross between The Velvets and whoever.

But why? Why, dammit? Even after all these years, I haven't a clue. Beautiful ugly. Barely competent virtuosity. Gratingly graceful. Epoch defining history free. Marvellously crap. The way you know daks are bad for you, but they look cool. Something like that.

First listen of this down, never heard any VU album in full before, was familiar with the big songs (or parts of them, anyway).

First impressions are that it's a mixed bag. The songs where John Cale's electric viola come to the fore are the best, the dissonance is so striking, even where the song structure is relatively conventional. The last track in particular, 'European Son', deconstructs into the kind of thing US Maple would do 30-odd years later.

Those bits I really like. The rest is blah '60s pop rock bullshit to these ears.

This is without question one of the most important records in my life so far.I haven't played it in an age but I stuck it on there after my dinner and pulled the couch blanket over me and closed my eyes and took a trip through time,down memory lane and over the hills into that far away country that is the deep past and emerged back into the present just in time for dessert.

Spectacular.Flawless.Transcendent and Transcendental.

Listening to Heroin right now. Crackle city. I need a new copy of this.

I went through 3 or 4 copies..played to death at top volume all hours of the day and night.High as absolute fuck on every drug known to man.For years and years and years.

I was left with an empty sleeve in my collection when I sold it.
And the empty box from the first box set.

Sounds just as good as a mp3 to these ears I'm not fussy

Glastonbury 1993.Full of strawberries.

You mean John Cale and JJ Cale are not the same person?

Both Kales are excellent.....in smoothies.

I know Sweet Jane is not on And Nico....but I can't listen to it anymore without hearing "Sweeeeet Jaysus" in a Dublin accent during the chorus.

I used to be all about the ballads - Sunday Morning and Nico's efforts, but this came on the radio about a month ago and my mind went nuclear.... in the best of ways

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back