The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico (1967) (1 Viewer)

I usually listen to this maybe once or twice a year, generally on a Sunday morning for obvious reasons and up good and loud. I still get a giddy "HERE WE GO!" rush when the little tinkles begin. Obviously no album can live up to the hype this one gets though. Unless you were exposed to the album before you were exposed to the hype then you can probably forget about it. It's too late, you've missed the bus.

I think I'm getting the whole Kanye thing now...it is possible to enjoy art created by a giant douche...this ...changes everything...

I didn't get into this until my mid 20s. I was surprised how accessible it was when I finally got round to it. First three songs are brilliant and immediately make you feel at home. Saying that, I knew Femme Fatale very well from the Teenage Fanclub and Big Star versions.

Venus in Furs, Run Run Run, All Tomorrow's Parties. I'd have to be in the mood. I can appreciate them, but it's tempting to skip on to Heroin.

There She Goes Again seems like standard Lou Reed fare. It's good. Not a classic.

I'll Be Your Mirror is right up there again with the best of the album.

Last two tracks are back to having to be in the mood.

I like the cacophony of noise they make without using distortion.

I have to switch off everything I know and hate about this band and their fan base...and the songs are actually pretty great.
Is there a typical VU fan base? They seem to be an influence on so many different artists, so many threads that other groups followed. I've never really met anyone that absolutely loves them as much as I do so maybe I'm the kind of person who's putting you off? Or maybe I can convince as to why this is so good (but not my favourite)?

In any case, expect an essay on this later in the week.

Is there a typical VU fan base? They seem to be an influence on so many different artists, so many threads that other groups followed. I've never really met anyone that absolutely loves them as much as I do so maybe I'm the kind of person who's putting you off? Or maybe I can convince as to why this is so good (but not my favourite)?

In any case, expect an essay on this later in the week.

See Nooly's Warhol comment.

They have as much 'baggage' (in my head) as The Smiths, although I know a lot of people of different musical tastes that are into them. It's a surface thing really, based on some assholes I've met over the years and my dislike of Warhol and Lou Reed, I suppose. All that together makes me cringe at the mention of The Velvet Underground but in fact I quite like them.

See Nooly's Warhol comment.

They have as much 'baggage' (in my head) as The Smiths, although I know a lot of people of different musical tastes that are into them. It's a surface thing really, based on some assholes I've met over the years and my dislike of Warhol and Lou Reed, I suppose. All that together makes me cringe at the mention of The Velvet Underground but in fact I quite like them.
Lou Reed is an ass and even though I like his post-VU career, it is nothing in comparison to VU. Cale fares better but still not as good afterwards.

He does something magnificent now and again

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I don't know his stuff at all. The reverence in which he is held by intellectual blowhards puts me right off.

I made the mistake of mixing up JJ Cale with John Cale while in the company of such pricks one time....the disdain they had for me.

It's a pain that never ends.

But I'm sure he's very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back