1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico (1967)

Discussion in 'Thumped Album Club' started by pete, Feb 18, 2016.

1. johnnystress

johnnystress Well-Known Member Supporter

Nov 1, 2002
    Ratings:
    +15,218 / 366 / -0
    Can't wait til The Libertines show up in TAC

• Like Like x 2
  2. Lili Marlene

Lili Marlene Sleeperbloke Contributor Supporter

Oct 14, 2002
    Ratings:
    +7,793 / 189 / -0
    I almost voted for their debut!

Might go back and add it

3. pavlos

pavlos Well-Known Member Supporter

Aug 21, 2004
    Ratings:
    +1,462 / 32 / -0
  4. travispickle

travispickle Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 21, 2006
    Ratings:
    +1,000 / 11 / -0
    Anyone going to Cale's 50th anniversary gigs in Liverpool? I got offered a ticket but I'm dithering.

5. Cornu Ammonis

Cornu Ammonis Well-Known Member Contributor Supporter

Feb 1, 2011
    Ratings:
    +4,023 / 113 / -0
    I'd love to but no. I say go for it, you'll regret it afterwards. Like I will.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cornu Ammonis

Feb 1, 2011
    Ratings:
    +4,023 / 113 / -0
  7. Benny Cake

Benny Cake Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2005
    Ratings:
    +2,174 / 31 / -0
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. pavlos

pavlos Well-Known Member Supporter

Aug 21, 2004
    Ratings:
    +1,462 / 32 / -0
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  9. Lili Marlene

Oct 14, 2002
    Ratings:
    +7,793 / 189 / -0
    Been listening to the stuff I like off this a lot this week, that is to say Run, Run, Run, All Tomorrow's Parties and The Black Angel Death Song.

With this in mind what album should I listen to next by them? I've never listened to any of their other albums.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Shaney?

Shaney? Well-Known Member Supporter

Sep 8, 2003
    Ratings:
    +4,811 / 228 / -0
    You might as well just go through them in order. White Light White Heat is the only other essential one, imo. The others are good too though. Good solid rock album's, like, with good songs, but not as exciting.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Lili Marlene

Oct 14, 2002
    Ratings:
    +7,793 / 189 / -0
    Just playing Paris 1919 here and the girlfriend is all "who is this guy and why the fuck is this album set all over the world?"

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Cornu Ammonis

Feb 1, 2011
    Ratings:
    +4,023 / 113 / -0
    I’d say that all four are essential but White Light/White Heat is my favourite. The other two are much more under Lou Reed’s influence so are more song-orientated than art rock (or whatever you want to call WL/WH) and the songs are miles ahead of most of his solo output. It’s like he got all his good writing done and then jumped ship after Loaded.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Unicron

Unicron Well-Known Member

May 21, 2003
    Ratings:
    +4,394 / 70 / -0
    I've never bothered listening to Squeeze, having assumed that it was dire. Is it worth giving a listen just for completeness and curiosity.

14. Cornu Ammonis

Feb 1, 2011
    Ratings:
    +4,023 / 113 / -0
    I have never listened to Squeeze either. Or if I have, I’ve forgotten everything about it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rimbaud

Rimbaud ...i'm nearly done here.. Supporter

Sep 17, 2001
    Ratings:
    +190 / 0 / -0
    Well it looks to me like you are into the jacked-up & gleefully off your trolley Velvets vibe. So I'd skip the exploratory album listening and go straight to Sister Ray:

Then check the essential Boston tea-party live extended version of Sister Ray(amazing):

Mr Rain from the 90s redux Paris concert:

Albums: You will probably love 'White Light White Heat'. Super Velvets album and my favourite.
    After this Nico album, White Light White Heat lp, the VU Compilation and the live Paris Redux album are my favourites.
    The Paris show is on YouTube in full. I remember seeing it in the 90s and being blown away.
    I think Cale has some excellent solo material since also. Fragments of a rainy season is my all time favourite there, Paris1919, Slow Dazzle too. Songs like Guts and fear's a man's best friend are very abrasive in a Velvet's vein. His early 80s Rockplaast concert is great, also up on YouTube I'd say.

I went to New York in November to the Velvet Underground and Nico 50th anniversary concert, and Kurt Vile basically took Run Run Run and ramped it up to the hilt....people were rocking hether and forth in fits as it played. They finished with 'Sister Ray'. A song that is very much a progression from the Nico album. 'Heroin's half sister.

• Winner Winner x 3
  16. Lili Marlene

Oct 14, 2002
    Ratings:
    +7,793 / 189 / -0
    I should probably listen to White Light White Heat so. I've dipped in and out of John Cale's discography over the years, not being Lou Reed really helped his basic case for me. It's like 800 thousand albums long though so I'll probably never properly get into him.

• Like Like x 1