The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico (1967) (1 Viewer)

Score 99.9 out of 100

Loses 0.1 for Waiting For the Man... which despite its reputation, I don't really like at all.

As for All Tomorrows Parties, a lot of people shudder at Nico's walking-over-your-grave voice, but it's such a stellar song. Here's a slightly better version

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

As for All Tomorrows Parties, a lot of people shudder at Nico's walking-over-your-grave voice, but it's such a stellar song. Here's a slightly better version

Here's another one, with the Martin Hannett treatment:

I love Waiting For The Man. If there was a track I'd drop it would be Run Run Run.

Score 99.9 out of 100

Loses 0.1 for Waiting For the Man... which despite its reputation, I don't really like at all.

That sounds like haggard 80s Nico! I love the original but I think it's just slightly too long on the album.

With lyrics and a melody like that it could have been such a hackneyed soppy 60s pop ballad but with cales demented piano bashing, the funeral march drums and bass, the guitar twanging and Nico's joyless Herr Flick delivery it's a fucking pop masterpiece.

So yea, it turns out there are only 2 songs on this I don't know (quite well too) and one is that irritating last tune. For an album that I've never owned or played that's not bad.
I'm envious of bands who have the confidence to make records that sound this loose.

Venus In Furs and Heroin are the stand-out songs on this album for me. They're the ones where the John Cale drone/avant-garde/experimentalism joins perfectly with the Reed pop songwriting.

The whole thing is a stand out for me with There She Goes Again being slightly less good than the rest. The Black Angel's Death Song is on now, it's incredible. The early acoustic version of Venus in Furs was not promising. It sounds like they were hippies hoping to be Pentangle and then something went terribly wrong for them (drugs probably),

I just remembered these guys..

Wasn't there a thing about Macaulay Culkin in a band called the Pizza Underground that did VU covers but changed the lyrics to be about pizza? Sounds like it might be funny for about 30 seconds, then get very grim.

I always loved this album except for the two last songs which I always hated. Turns out they're pretty OK! Black Angel is a Dylanesque folk song to my ears, mad that I never noticed that before. And European Son has that chaotic squall which they carried further on to White Light/white heat and seemed to lose after that.
It's a cracking little album with so many great songs but which refuses to be cutesy or pretty. It dares to be loose of performance, scruffy of jean and lank of hair and it gets away with it. You can only imagine what anyone who heard this first hand thought of it.

I like the madness of the last song.

Lou Reed's voice goes through my head though, all I hear when he sings is I'M A DOUCHEBAG FROM NEW YORK WEARING SUNGLASSES INDOORS.

I'll get over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back