The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico (1967) (1 Viewer)

i missed that unfortunately, but another former member of this parish was also in geek maggot bingo. i have a vague memory of suggesting a name when he mentioned needing to pick one though, but my suggestion was not used - 'war is menstrual envy'.

Well, the whole slow core thing, some of it is proto-industrial, "space rock" or whatever you might call Spiritualized, you find it all on that record.
I get that the attitude influenced a lot of people, dark, literary, sometimes noisy (goth and post-punk) but I know very little that really sounds like the first album. I tend to think that the space rockers and paisley underground people sound more like an amped up version of the third album. The only band I relate directly to the possibilities of the first two albums is Sonic Youth - the idea of encompassing that scope of prettiness and noise etc in one unit. SY never touched on the minimalism thing generally though.

Spacemen 3 would be the only band that really gives off a strong VU vibe in terms of style but given that so many bands from so many different scenes cite VU as an influence in their early interviews (i.e. it’s not something they have retrospectively decided) - clearly different people were getting different things from them.

In my head Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, Super furry animals, Bill Callahan all kinda echo that first album in ways.

Any here's Nico:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

what can I say, man. I was 13. I didn’t know anything.

I do very strongly remember the sense-impression that I had that this band had to be a contemporary one.

and so, in trying to reach back into the mind of my 13-year-old self, this is my theory of what I was thinking back then: ‘heroin’ sounds weird and dangerous and scary. I think that my 13-year-old self sort of assumed that anything that sounded so strange was somehow ‘not allowed’ to have been made in the 1960s. the 60s were all just flowers. weirdness was only permitted for then-current music.

it doesn’t make any sense, but then... it doesn’t really have to. I was a kid. anyway, point was, it changed things for me
Thats great! There's an entire novel in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back