The Uninhabitable Ireland (3 Viewers)

I actually wouldn't agree with that one (biased I guess). But birth rates are already falling all across the Western world. Interesting piece on it here:

Stop scuppering my plans to adopt a cute Chinese babba!

BTW my original no fucking shit comment was directed at the guardian piece, not You personally.

Stop scuppering my plans to adopt a cute Chinese babba!

giphy.gif

I actually wouldn't agree with that one (biased I guess). But birth rates are already falling all across the Western world. Interesting piece on it here:
Jacobin came out strong against it as well

Power generation and transport are the biggest sources of greenhouse emissions, so the most effective way to lower personal emissions would be to stop using anything electrical that isn't powered from renewable sources and stop using any form of motorised transport (electric vehicles included when the power to charge their batteries comes from fossil fuels).
So right now, getting a solar panel for the house = fairly effective, getting an electric car = fairly ineffective (although there's a lot of ins and outs in terms of efficiency of power usage vs generation and transmission that means electric cars are probably still cleaner than diesel or petrol).
If we somehow to switch to 100% renewable electricity generation (or if we went nuclear), then the electric car instantly becomes vastly preferable – although there are surely still some emissions present in the production of the lithium batteries, but that's easily preferable to the continuous burning of fossil fuels.
I think the biggest thing the greens could do in government would be a massive move towards renewable energy generation. We're in a position to have vast wind generation possible, and we should take advantage of that. Renewable energy generation right now is something like 15% I think, we should be aiming for 90%+ if we want to make a proper impact on reducing carbon emissions. Also some renewable energy generation counts biomass, but burning shit that gives off CO2 but can be grown back is still burning shit that gives off CO2, biomass may as well be fossil fuels for these purposes.

Power generation and transport are the biggest sources of greenhouse emissions, so the most effective way to lower personal emissions would be to stop using anything electrical that isn't powered from renewable sources and stop using any form of motorised transport (electric vehicles included when the power to charge their batteries comes from fossil fuels).
So right now, getting a solar panel for the house = fairly effective, getting an electric car = fairly ineffective (although there's a lot of ins and outs in terms of efficiency of power usage vs generation and transmission that means electric cars are probably still cleaner than diesel or petrol).
If we somehow to switch to 100% renewable electricity generation (or if we went nuclear), then the electric car instantly becomes vastly preferable – although there are surely still some emissions present in the production of the lithium batteries, but that's easily preferable to the continuous burning of fossil fuels.
I think the biggest thing the greens could do in government would be a massive move towards renewable energy generation. We're in a position to have vast wind generation possible, and we should take advantage of that. Renewable energy generation right now is something like 15% I think, we should be aiming for 90%+ if we want to make a proper impact on reducing carbon emissions. Also some renewable energy generation counts biomass, but burning shit that gives off CO2 but can be grown back is still burning shit that gives off CO2, biomass may as well be fossil fuels for these purposes.

Yeah with the installation of an ‘off-grid’ style home set-up with solar, charging my electric car batteries will as green as i can get!
Also converting an old classic with surplus/salvaged parts instead of scrapping it and buying a new Electric car is a no brainer for me.

often forgotten in that argument is the fact that Electric cars are 90%> efficient versus 20-30% efficiency of old diesel/petrol engines.
So Yes you’re still burning fossil fuels if you have an ESB supply and you’re charging your car with it BUT your single charge of your electric car is 3 or 4 or 5 times more efficient at using the energy.

and the greens should absolutely be pushing harder for renewable sources

Also some renewable energy generation counts biomass, but burning shit that gives off CO2 but can be grown back is still burning shit that gives off CO2, biomass may as well be fossil fuels for these purposes.
The CO2 that biomass gives off might have only been recently absorbed from the atmosphere - like if you're using rapeseed oil in an engine then you're releasing carbon that was only absorbed from the atmosphere in the last year, so it pretty much doesn't count

How old the biomass is matters though - if you're burning oak then you could be releasing carbon that was last in the atmosphere hundreds of years ago, if you're burning turf then it's thousands of years ago

(sorry for 'splaining if you already know all this)

Informative to Lili, I hadn't really thought of it like that.

The CO2 that biomass gives off might have only been recently absorbed from the atmosphere - like if you're using rapeseed oil in an engine then you're releasing carbon that was only absorbed from the atmosphere in the last year, so it pretty much doesn't count

How old the biomass is matters though - if you're burning oak then you could be releasing carbon that was last in the atmosphere hundreds of years ago, if you're burning turf then it's thousands of years ago

(sorry for 'splaining if you already know all this)

Yeah but even with that obviously with how things are we're better off trying to absorb more carbon now rather than releasing it at all if we have the choice

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Happened good friends of my family 'It could go in half an hour's time' - couple forced to abandon dream home as 75 foot cliff crumbles

It's one thing if it's a family home for generations, but like if you're buying a house, you should probably try not to buy one on a road that is going to end up in the sea or in a river.

was talked out of notions of buying a cheap cottage for sale in Portrane about 20 yards from the beach by my ever-sensible missus

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back