The Uninhabitable Ireland (2 Viewers)

I'm increasingly coming around to nuclear as a stop gap. Modern reactors and a short lifespan lessens the risk. Still an expensive option though
I’m not convinced. The results of an accident, an error, or negligence are too dangerous. Even when stacked against climate change. And no amount of technology will fully remove those risks or the long-term consequences of nuclear energy.

Just as a point of information we already buy nuclear power from the UK via the east-west interconnector.

Here is a fun map in which you can see that there seems to some form of gamma radiation disaster happening near kosovo today

Just as a point of information we already buy nuclear power from the UK via the east-west interconnector.

Here is a fun map in which you can see that there seems to some form of gamma radiation disaster happening near kosovo today

Can I have a P please Bob.

I’m not convinced. The results of an accident, an error, or negligence are too dangerous. Even when stacked against climate change. And no amount of technology will fully remove those risks or the long-term consequences of nuclear energy.
How do you square that? Fukishima, by far the biggest nuclear disaster in the past few decades, resulted in 0 deaths. Climate change threatens total annihilation of our species.

My understanding is that even at very conservative estimations coal kills more people per year than Chernobyl ever managed in the fallout from the disaster. I too wish to know why we should not use nuclear power.

My current city in Cities: Skylines is 100% green powered thanks to some early investment by me so I have proven that that is possible as well.

Last edited:
meanwhile, in my inbox

As World reels from the impact of ‘Chernobyl’ series, Shannon airport welcomes 120 ‘Chernobyl children’ to Ireland for Summer Rest and Recuperation
Monday 24 June: Following the conclusion of the chilling HBO ‘Chernobyl’ TV mini-series, a very special group of 120 children from the Chernobyl affected regions of Belarus will fly into Shannon Airport at 15.50 on Tuesday, 25th June as part of a long-standing campaign by Irish host families to prolong their lives against the ongoing effects of the world’s worst nuclear accident.
The children are third generation victims of Chernobyl and live with health, societal, economic and environmental fallout every day. Their Rest and Recuperation stays in Ireland, funded by Adi Roche’s Chernobyl Children International (CCI), have been organised each year since 1991. Ireland is now acknowledged as the country which has provided the most valuable ongoing aid and advocacy support for the victims of the Chernobyl disaster and continues to be at the forefront of an international campaign, through the United Nations, to focus attention on their plight.
Irish families – from nine counties – will reunite with the Belarusian children and young adults whom they have opened their hearts and homes to for the past 3 decades, since the 1986 disaster. Since then 25,500 children from Belarus and Western Russia have come to Ireland on this flagship programme.

The Summer Rest and Recuperation Programme gives children, who come from impoverished backgrounds and state-run institutions, a health-boosting reprieve from the toxic environment and high levels of radiation to which they have been exposed. During the month-long stay, radiation levels in the children drop by nearly 50% and up to two years is added to their life expectancy.
Speaking ahead of the group’s arrival, Voluntary CEO of Chernobyl Children International Adi Roche said, “Our wonderful volunteers have opened their hearts and their homes to these children every summer. These are children who so desperately need our help. While the Chernobyl accident happened 33 years ago, the consequences last forever”.
“It has been our pleasure and privilege at Shannon Airport and Shannon Group to be part of the welcome for the Chernobyl children and their host families over the years. The sense of excitement here on the day is palpable, and our own staff are hugely invested in the event. The success of this programme which started back in 1991 is a fantastic endorsement of the work of Trojan Adi Roche and the Chernobyl Children International team. With many of the children regular visitors to Shannon each year, it is more like a wonderful family homecoming,” says Mary Considine, Acting CEO, Shannon Group.

Many of the children, who will spend the month with loving host-families in Ireland, reside in Vesnova Children’s Mental Asylum - an institution for abandoned children which was hidden in a veil of secrecy during the years of the Soviet Union. It is now the base for the Cork charity’s most ambitious programme ever – the Restoration of Rights Programme and Life Skills Home which the charity hopes will offer children the hopes of a safe alternative to life in an orphanage over time.

Is it not because sooner or later there will be horrible nuclear meltdowns that make Chernobyl look totally grand? It's only a matter of time.
Less likely than the world-ending effects of continuing to extract oil and coal in the ground and burning it for energy, which we're right on course for.

Stupid fact I came across recently, the amount of solar energy that hits the earth in fifteen minutes is enough for the entire planets energy needs for a year.

Is it not because sooner or later there will be horrible nuclear meltdowns that make Chernobyl look totally grand? It's only a matter of time.
Why though? Chernobyl was a monumental fuck up by people who had very little clue of what they were doing and the reactor wasn't fit for purpose even at the time. Thorium could be the way forward:

Why though? Chernobyl was a monumental fuck up by people who had very little clue of what they were doing and the reactor wasn't fit for purpose even at the time. Thorium could be the way forward:
I'm not confident that there won't be more fuck ups in the world, and who knows what capacity people will have in future to manage these things... But I didn't really research this

Less likely than the world-ending effects of continuing to extract oil and coal in the ground and burning it for energy, which we're right on course for.

Stupid fact I came across recently, the amount of solar energy that hits the earth in fifteen minutes is enough for the entire planets energy needs for a year.

FrankHilariousBear-size_restricted.gif

Why though? Chernobyl was a monumental fuck up by people who had very little clue of what they were doing and the reactor wasn't fit for purpose even at the time.
Because people make monumental fuckups, and very often don't have a clue of what they are doing. Large complex systems fail unpredictably, and the more large complex systems you have the higher the likelihood that one of them will fail

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back