The Uninhabitable Ireland (1 Viewer)

It seems to me that planes burning fossil fuels will be one of the last things to be phased out as (if) we try to move away from the internal combustion engine, I've never heard a word about the idea of an electric plane.

Perhaps superfast trains will solve some of the too many planes issue. Not for this country unless we start building massive bridges or tunnels, but on large land masses.
True but isn't there more environmentally friendly jetfuel that they just don't use because it's too expensive or whatever? It needs to be taxed accordingly.

True but isn't there more environmentally friendly jetfuel that they just don't use because it's too expensive or whatever? It needs to be taxed accordingly.

I don't know. The former footballer Matthieu Flamini put much of his money into a synthetic oil company about 10 years ago, about 3 or 4 years ago there was a story that they'd cracked something that could do everything that crude oil can do. Reports said it could be a 20 billion a year business but stories about it have been very quiet since.

I don't know. The former footballer Matthieu Flamini put much of his money into a synthetic oil company about 10 years ago, about 3 or 4 years ago there was a story that they'd cracked something that could do everything that crude oil can do. Reports said it could be a 20 billion a year business but stories about it have been very quiet since.
Yeah maybe I was relying a bit on hearsay with that one. But I do believe that jet fuel isn't taxed particularly highly which makes the aviation industry unnaturally competitive with other modes of transport.

Steorn and Orbo will save us all.

Doesn't seem to be any of this kind of rewilding in Ireland, just forests grown to cut down and sell the wood

@egg_ you know much about this (Ireland, not China)? seems like it might be your wheelhouse.
There's some habitat restoration going on - like this Active Blanket Bog Restoration Project Ireland, restoring the wildlife habitat peatlands of the West of Ireland and the millennium forests. Obvs there's the national parks too, though Irish national parks are not totally wild, and often involve some kind of grazing regime

... but yeah, as you say, the vast majority of forestry in Ireland is timber-for-harvest.

I've been raising the issue with anyone calling to the door but it's probably asking a bit much of local elections, no?

I suppose every county council could do this, whatever it amounts to

Nothing will ever happen under a Fianna Gael government anyway, that seems fairly clear.

didn't take him long to fluff it.

rte said:
The Taoiseach has said the Dáil's declaration of a climate change emergency was largely "symbolic."
Last week Ireland became the second country in the world to make such a declaration.
However speaking during Leaders Questions, Leo Varadkar said while he welcomed the declaration it did not give the Dáil any more powers, resources or tools to deal with the problem.
The Taoiseach said it was a gesture, but he said symbols and gestures matter and that it must be followed up through action.
He said the Government was acting in a number of areas including energy, agriculture, transport and heating.
He was responding to Independent TD Catherine Connelly, who said the declaration was a first step.
She said Ireland was absent from a list of countries who were demanding more in relation to climate change.
Ms Connelly said a declaration of emergency had been "forced upon us" by numerous reports on climate change.
She called for an action plan following on from the emergency declaration to be brought before the Dáil as a matter of urgency.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Dude I read the book, I don't need your pithy youtube videos. What i'm saying is, to my knowledge declaring something an "emergency" in Ireland is about as effective as Tweeting "safetyglasses off motherfuckers" at Leo on voting day. I sounds like declaring a state of emergency while actually doing nothing. Like, are we going to start rounding up polluting businesses and shutting them down or what?

Dude I read the book, I don't need your pithy youtube videos. What i'm saying is, to my knowledge declaring something an "emergency" in Ireland is about as effective as Tweeting "safetyglasses off motherfuckers" at Leo on voting day. I sounds like declaring a state of emergency while actually doing nothing. Like, are we going to start rounding up polluting businesses and shutting them down or what?

My girlfriends sister teaches at a school that gives two plastic bottles of water to every kid, every school day. She did the maths and the kids couldnt believe it.... 20,000 empty plastic bottles a year....
Jesus fuck like, rectifying basic shit like that across the country would be a start.
Maybe incentivising the plantation of forests and woodlands.
Completely stop burning turf.
Fine cunts that use smokey coal.
and give people proper alternatives at the same time.

Leo and his shower are not interested in anything that does not make money.
His declaration of a state of emergency was nothing but pure lip service. CUNTS

Righteous

Currently visiting a pal in London, and I’ve noticed almost all of the police vehicles I’ve seen have either been electric or hybrids. I think all the Royal Mail trucks are hybrids too and soon the buses I think.

Why the hell aren’t we doing that here?!

Oh yeah.... Fine Gael

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back