The Uninhabitable Ireland (1 Viewer)

I only recycle half-heartedly these days. I have reduced my meat intake by about 60%. I am learning to drive though. Not sure what else to do. In the next UK GE I’d be torn between voting Green and voting Labour. Priority for me would be ousting the Tories.

In terms of being a futile pathetice lump of flesh with little or no direct input into important matters, i do think there is a huge value in directing conversations in a gentle way or sharing information now and again as method gently refocusing the overton window.

Last year me and the gf went off plastic for lent. maybe an 80% success rate. This year I'm attempting to not use the car for going to work (i know, i do that a fair bit already), just not going to chicken out on weather this year. You city folk are already doing a lot by living in a large commune, as opposed to being in car commuter belt that dominates the sticks.
I drive 300km+ a week to get to and from a job I could do at my kitchen table. It’s 2019 ffs.

I was talking to Mrs. egg_ there lately about climate campaigning in Ireland ...

There's a solid set of recommendations on climate change action from the citizens assembly Recommendations on how the State can make Ireland a leader in tackling climate change - The Citizens' Assembly

How feasible do you think something like this would be - use facebook ads to gather large groups of voters concerned about climate in constituency and try and force political change by using those peoples' votes. Approach election candidates and say "if you include this shit on your platform then X people in your constituency will give you their number 1"

Knowing something is expensive? Most 'cheap meat' is revolting IMO
Then why are people buying it?

I don't understand what you mean by this?

What i'm saying is that living in poverty and not knowing how to cook a meal from raw ingredients are related.

I was talking to Mrs. egg_ there lately about climate campaigning in Ireland ...

There's a solid set of recommendations on climate change action from the citizens assembly Recommendations on how the State can make Ireland a leader in tackling climate change - The Citizens' Assembly

How feasible do you think something like this would be - use facebook ads to gather large groups of voters concerned about climate in constituency and try and force political change by using those peoples' votes. Approach election candidates and say "if you include this shit on your platform then X people in your constituency will give you their number 1"

Thank you egg_, i'll give it a read.

Also - this thread is boobytrapped. There’s something somewhere in it that’s being embedded from somewhere else and it’s triggering a firewall rule in error, and that’s blocking people from the server. I (temporarily) fixed it over lunchtime by telling it to ignore the false-positive detection, but if you couldn’t get back in this morning after reading this thread, that’s why.

I certainly think 'something like this' wouldn't be the worst thing to be exploring - alway tricky to navigate though

Also - this thread is boobytrapped. There’s something somewhere in it that’s being embedded from somewhere else and it’s triggering a firewall rule in error, and that’s blocking people from the server. I (temporarily) fixed it over lunchtime by telling it to ignore the false-positive detection, but if you couldn’t get back in this morning after reading this thread, that’s why.
False flag

What i'm saying is that living in poverty and not knowing how to cook a meal from raw ingredients are related.

Ok, just wasn't sure if I was understanding you correctly. I completely agree! Even as a vegan, I acknowledge that its a completely priviledged way of life, though I don't think the roadblocks in terms of it being an expensive diet are really fair (I've never spent less on food and I've never had less food waste either), at least in Ireland. Being able cook, having the time to cook from scratch, and having enough education about nutrition to eat vegan and stay healthy are all completely linked to me being able to do it inexpensively though, so I agree with you about knowledge. Its infuriating when vegans sell this "we'd all be grand if the world went vegan" schtick, because not everyone has that choice.

That said, my personal POV is that you can recognize that because you are in a priviledged position, and have that choice (which is a priviledge), then you then have an obligation to make ethical decisions based on that priviledge. Thats why I personally am vegan. I don't vibe with judging what other people eat, or acting like we all have equal access to that, though. Hope that makes sense.

Ah I should have worded it better.

I was just thinking of the reaction i'd have gotten if i'd tried to tell some of the lads i've known over the years to eat more vegetables so they can save money.

The trick is to not buy the plastic in the first place.
Ideally yes. In the last couple of trips to the shop that would have meant no cheese, no grapes, no yogurt, no mushrooms, no strawberries, no lemonade, no chicken bits , no hummus, no cheesecake and probably lots of other things I can't think of.

A better trick would be to not make plastic available for purchase wherever possible, no?

I agree. Or use some sort of biodegradable packaging product .

We got these the other week and when I got them home i realised they came with four single use plastic spoons. They could easily have used wood or even stiff card

Attachments

• eggs.jpg
    eggs.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 1
Ideally yes. In the last couple of trips to the shop that would have meant no cheese, no grapes, no yogurt, no mushrooms, no strawberries, no lemonade, no chicken bits , no hummus, no cheesecake and probably lots of other things I can't think of.

I agree. Or use some sort of biodegrade packaging product .

We got these the other week and when I got them home i realised they came with four single use plastic spoons. They could easily have used wood or even stiff card
They’re really nice so it’s ok.

I agree. Or use some sort of biodegrade packaging product .

Full disclosure. I ate them all. whole

Who should I vote for if I make saving the planet my 100% voting reason?
So, getting back to this - individual action, which I guess we are all doing at least some of, clearly isn't solving the problem.

Would you personally be on for something like what I'm proposing above? Actually sign up to a voting bloc to try and push a climate-focused agenda with politicians?

So, getting back to this - individual action, which I guess we are all doing at least some of, clearly isn't solving the problem.

Would you personally be on for something like what I'm proposing above? Actually sign up to a voting bloc to try and push a climate-focused agenda with politicians?
Yeah sure. I mean i'm not sold in the slightest that "Facebook won Brexit" but can't harm to use whatever means necessary given the stakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back