The Trad Thread (1 Viewer)

no but i think i should start listening to some trad by groups that are actually still active...any recommendations?

Most of the big trad groups - Lunasa, Altan, Danu etc - are grand for blasting it out live, but i wouldn't be mad into them on record.

Flook from Engerland are decent, but again, i wouldn't be gone on their albums.

I'm no expert though; I thought it'd be good to get a thread going, and see if we can collectively dig out the good stuff.

Trad music ain't what it used to be. Like some of the others said, to listen to live it can be great, but on CD, not so good. Case in point, that Cooney-Begley CD about 10 years ago. Their live show was amazing, but the CD just wasn't good.

The old dinosaurs aren't all gone yet so I'll stay listening to them for another while.

Can someone please as Paul Brady to go back to doing trad? He was amazing at it.

Anyone get hold of this new Martin Hayes/Dennis Cahill album?

Apparently it's great.

I heard "the lonesome touch", that's lovely album, have to check the new one out.

Got "The Liffey Banks" by Tommy Potts a while back and i definitely recommend that if you haven't heard it, beautiful stuff and i love the recording. Well worth picking up.

what about dervish, are they keeping a low profile:)

I refuse to listen to Martin Hayes until I see him live. What people have said, he's made a pact with the devil. No point hearing that shit on CD.

was given a lend of some martin hayes stuff few weeks back,pretty good.
get to do a sean nos workshop at the moment as part of my masters,it's interesting enough,anybody got any recommendations for that type of thing?

its hard to capture the kick that trad music can have when you bring it into the studio i think, it doesnt seem to be the right place for it. one thing that really bugs me is that on TnaG they sometimes show deadly music with trad player playing but they wreck it by adding reverb and making it sound all soft focus and contemporary. fucking reverb. reeling in the years (is that the rte show that shows archive footage while coronation st is on the other side?) sometimes shows deadly footage. i'd love to be let loose in the rte archives to look at some of the good stuff.

was given a lend of some martin hayes stuff few weeks back,pretty good.
get to do a sean nos workshop at the moment as part of my masters,it's interesting enough,anybody got any recommendations for that type of thing?

Lasairfhiona http://www.myspace.com/lasairfhiona

and her brother MacDara http://www.myspace.com/macdaramusic

are two sean-nos style singers from Inis Oirr; it's accompanied so might not exactly be old style singing in the purest sense.

Iarla O'Lionaird is another contemporary singer influenced by sean-nos.

What's your masters? Sean Garvey's first album has a couple of rapid sean nos tunes going on- he has a really beautiful voice, but tends to do lots of accompanied shit and more modren shit too (which is deadly but poss not what yer lookin for). Nan Tom Teaimin De Burca is fuckin creepy good and v.traditional. Brendan Begley is cool too.

hayes/cahill are jaw dropping live.

If you haven't seen an Irvine live show you're seriously missing out; totally kicking myself I missed his woody guthrie songbook thing and, while we're off the subject, Mozaik are kind of hungarian/irish/greek/appalacian fusion but are absolutely amazing live.

What's your masters? Sean Garvey's first album has a couple of rapid sean nos tunes going on- he has a really beautiful voice, but tends to do lots of accompanied shit and more modren shit too (which is deadly but poss not what yer lookin for). Nan Tom Teaimin De Burca is fuckin creepy good and v.traditional. Brendan Begley is cool too.

ethnomusicology in ucc.

thanks for all the recommendations,not too interested in the accompanied stuff but i'll give it a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back