The Tom Petty Thread (1 Viewer)

therealjohnny

Supporter
Solutions
I think he deserves his own thread. All my mates; punks, skins, metallers, misc, were fans. And I know he was popular with a lot of you guys too.

Apologies if this seems self indulgent.

He was such a large part of my youth and only recently my band was trying to decide which of his songs to cover.
I first noticed him, and the Heartbreakers on MTUSA with 'Don't Come Around Here No More'. That was enough to prompt me to go and buy some records to find out out more. I was an instant fan. Later in 1985 he played Live Aid in Philadelphia. What a band. I thought he looked so cool, wearing the best jacket I'd ever seen, along with his Roger McGuinn sunglasses. I remember drawing a picture of him afterwards.
I kind of drifted away from them with Full Moon Fever. Although still good, it was just too polished for my tastes. Seeing one of the biggest assholes from my school in attendance at a gig in Dublin increased that distance between them and me. But I got over it.

Just feeling very sad today.
If you haven't seen this great documentary today would be a good day for it.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Was never a fan, I didn't dislike him but he was just someone that I'd ever taken the time to listen to. However when he played the superbowl half time show a few years back I realised that I knew and really liked pretty much every tune he played that night.

Agree with Ian there. He was just someone that was always there and, while I wouldn't have considered myself a major fan, I can't say I ever disliked anything I heard from him. I'd liken how I felt about Tom Petty to how I felt about Prince, but I've come to appreciate Prince a lot more since he died.

I particularly remember when MTV started getting shit I used to love when Tom Petty videos came on. I could sit and watch/listen to those all day.

It seems his involvement with the Travelling Wilburys catapulted him to a level of adulation that he might not otherwise have had. And fair fucks to him. The guy is rightly being remembered as a superstar, and who could argue.

Seemed like a nice bloke too, from what I can gather.

I kind of drifted away from them with Full Moon Fever. Although still good, it was just too polished for my tastes.
Always kind of liked him - Jammin' Me was immense, and You Don't Come Around....
I heard Free Fallin' playing in HMV on Henry St, and walked over and bought it.
It felt very mainstream and I probably didn't tell people I had bought it, but I listened to the heck out of it.

In recent years kept showing up on playlists time after time and I dunno, something about his longevity gave him more gravitas or something?
Like I used to think he was vaguely lame or vanilla, but the body of work and my own age overcame that. The songs started to sound different.

Been listening to Wildflowers a lot the past few years. I don't think I could have liked this record as much at the time as I do now, without having lived a life.

I have probably made the same point three times here.

ANyway, I'm sorry he's dead, but he left a hell of a lot behind.

Even I like what I've heard. Probably would have paid more attention had I seen his records around used. Think I have one somewhere,this is where spotify can be useful I suppose.
Him and his other guitar player always seemed really into guitars. I always like that.
Didn't seem like it was his time.
Rip

I don't think I could name a single song of his, despite knowing of him. The only song I've heard of his for sure is a Bob Dylan cover on that live double tribute thing from the early 90s. Was he involved in some way with the Johnny Cash American albums?

I don't think I could name a single song of his, despite knowing of him. The only song I've heard of his for sure is a Bob Dylan cover on that live double tribute thing from the early 90s. Was he involved in some way with the Johnny Cash American albums?

Cash covered "I won't back down" for them IIRC

This is very interesting - I didn't think other Thumped-like pricks had a soft spot for old Tom. To quote Gary, even I always liked what I heard (well, not Free Falling so much). I just think he nailed that laconic, MOR, Byrds-jangle and a bit of new wave into the 80s sound. And he did seem like a real music lover and a cool dude.

The Heartbreakers back catalogue is full of perfect Americana songwriting. I am a big fan of mike campbell's lead playing too. His chops get straight to the point.

Just remembered. A long time ago I was at the local youth club. I was drawing the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers logo in the condensation on the window (beats playing ping pong) when the youth leader noticed. He was a big fan of the band and made me a tape recording of the 1st album. On the other side of the cassette he backed it up with another album he thought I'd like, which he imagined was "in a similar vein". It was Huey Lewis and the News ' ''Sports''.

It was a nice gesture though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back