The Thumped Motoring Forum (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 86K
  • Watchers 10
The only time I’d ever start in 2nd is when there’s heavy snow. Wouldn’t have thought that many of you would be mad for the clutch-burning.

pffft

giphy.gif

First is generally not a ratio that matches 2/3/4 because it's there to accommodate towing or extremely steep hills. Granny gear in bike language. HOWEVER you should always step through it, using it just to judge the car up to maybe 8/10 mph.

Why though??

Because the speed being delivered to the clutch in 2nd/3rd is much faster than 1st, so it is going to wear out much faster because you are dragging it from halt with a high rpm. Any modern car will easy spin off in 2/3 but it's a high wear option. 1st should be used to make the car roll essentially, it's one of those car things NOBODY tells anyone, like how traffic lights work.

You know what. Fucking thank you ann post.

OK. I'd really started getting in the habit of pulling away in 2nd, or third even. I'll stop that now. Fooking sending love heart emojis your way.

I did know how traffic lights worked... but only because I drove bikes my whole life. Often there's not enough iron (?) metal (?) in bikes to deflect the field those coils generate, so the lights won't notice you. Then you end up having to break them or wait for a car because they never get triggered to change.

The solution is to get those insane magnets and throw one or two onto your frame, well, something iron on the bike let's say. (The frame is usually Alu these days.) At a certain point the field becomes enough that it triggers the (liberal) traffic lights.

what is this "clutch" you speak of?

automatic FTW

The whole gears on cars thing is stil a bit of a strange one for me.

I couldn't drive a bike without a gearbox and clutch though, because i have some base need to brutalize momo bike gearboxes instead of touching the back brake. But momobike's bits are all in the right place. The gear lever is in exactly the right place, clutches are clearly meant to be operated by hand, just like brakes. Because all of these things are correct on bikes you don't have to spend any more time thinking about it. It all just works out.

Putting the bits in the wrong place, where cars put them, is a conspiracy by the Big Car Industry to cause crashes and sell more cars.

I like these reverse cams though. I'll give the Big Car Industry that one.

i never knew pulling away in second was 'a thing'.
also, i believe some traffic lights have light sensors - i.e. they can detect car headlights at night.that could have been learned during a pub conversation, so adjust for reliability.

i never knew pulling away in second was 'a thing'.
also, i believe some traffic lights have light sensors - i.e. they can detect car headlights at night.that could have been learned during a pub conversation, so adjust for reliability.
I thought the light sensors thing was to detect oncoming emergency vayhickles.

i believe some traffic lights have light sensors

I'd assumed a lot of those yokes were cameras for keeping an eye on things. Or doin a bit of the aul shpyin.

Over in Britland they love their cameras.

A couple of years back the... I dunno FBI? Some gang of lunatics had a blimp, like a big fuck off blimp over by Baltimore for doing a bit of spying. Like, you'd be driving past it, clear as day, wondering what they hell a massive blimp is doing hovering over you. Look it up, and sho'nuff, spying.

Edit, just looked them up to make sure I wasn't imagining things:

Sadly for all concerned they didn't work out as planned.

Lol. Exactly zero people saw military blimps hovering over their gaff and thought "ah yes, I feel safe now".

I'd assumed a lot of those yokes were cameras for keeping an eye on things. Or doin a bit of the aul shpyin.
on the way home yesterday i spotted what i saw what i think had been described to me as the light sensor (a wedge shaped device attached to traffic lights), and i'm almost certain it's actually the speaker for pedestrian crossings, for the audible warning for the blind and partially sighted.

I have one. Bought a UK import Leaf 2nd hand last year when I got a new job and we needed a second car. I do around 65km a day and get about 140km range on a full charge, so I charge it up at home every night even though there are two sets of free public chargers 5 & 10 minutes walk from the job, because i am a lazy bastard.

I'll be the first to admit they look a bit lame, but the initial acceleration from a standing start is MENTAL and driving an automatic is just so easy. Actually the biggest problem I have with it is it's far too easy to drive it way too fast without realising it, which isn't very good for range (or, you know, safety.)

Speaking of range, real-world performance on the current Leaf models is meant to be about 2x what i get but all EVs are way too expensive new even taking into account it's only €125 to tax, and the obvious fuel savings (ie free if you don't mind using public chargers), so my advice for now would be buy second hand, and unless you're never going to need to drive further than 50% range or have easy access to another car for longer trips, only as a second car.

What about servicing? is there servicing?

The 2nd hands are coming into my range.

What about servicing? is there servicing?

The 2nd hands are coming into my range.

Well everything except the engine (because there isn't one) has to be serviced, just like any other car. I've no real clue what the deal is with the motor but i understand it's got far fewer moving parts than an ICE so I reckon there's not much to look at there. I think it's more of a "Computer! Run level 2 diagnostic!" kind of thing. I do know you get a battery health check telling you what %age of capacity you've lost so far, because we got one when we bought it, but mine has never been serviced. Must arrange that I suppose.

You should definitely try driving one. Find a nice, quiet, straight, stretch of road, turn off Eco mode, make sure it's set for D (regular driving) and not B (regenerative braking), and floor it.

At the NCT, was closed when I arrived and didn't open till after the booking. Mentioned to the staff that it was 6 degrees outside. They have the look of tearing the car apart, think it's finally fail time for the Yaris.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back