The Thumped Motoring Forum (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 86K
  • Watchers 10
It’s not the parking problem they’re trying to solve, it’s the having space to get a car seat out problem and the herding cats problem. But if the business isn’t going to enforce them...

Can we talk about fuckers parking at car charging points too?

There was an amazing charge point photo floating about yesterday, will dig it up when I'm back at work.

My stance remains that every space is a mother and baby space till you start buying urban tanks that scarcely fit in the thousands of spaces in Ireland that exist. Nobody can park those things anyways and demanding that people make bigger spaces for your bad choices is not a solution, it's in accommodation of a problem. In Ann posts democratic republic of facism nobody should be allowed buy a car unless they can demonstrate parking it in a normal space. The driving test is done in match boxes and then people buy trucks. Sorry the word 'solve' set me off there. The solution is to not turn up with something that's too big and expect the world to accommodate you at the expense of public places.

There was an amazing charge point photo floating about yesterday, will dig it up when I'm back at work.

My stance remains that every space is a mother and baby space till you start buying urban tanks that scarcely fit in the thousands of spaces in Ireland that exist. Nobody can park those things anyways and demanding that people make bigger spaces for your bad choices is not a solution, it's in accommodation of a problem. In Ann posts democratic republic of facism nobody should be allowed buy a car unless they can demonstrate parking it in a normal space. The driving test is done in match boxes and then people buy trucks. Sorry the word 'solve' set me off there. The solution is to not turn up with something that's too big and expect the world to accommodate you at the expense of public places.
Are Parent and Child spaces generally bigger than normal spaces? As a parent with child, I have not noticed this except maybe once or twice - they are merely closer to the entrance of the shop so you don't have to walk small children through the car park. It can still be a struggle to get a baby seat out, even in an ordinary non-truck car.

Are Parent and Child spaces generally bigger than normal spaces? As a parent with child, I have not noticed this except maybe once or twice - they are merely closer to the entrance of the shop so you don't have to walk small children through the car park. It can still be a struggle to get a baby seat out, even in an ordinary non-truck car.

Yup - extra meter or so given to access. you can see the white bits here. Like I get it, kids are tiny maniacs and people are morons and parents do what they gotta do. I just think accommodating whatever the motor industry throws on the market isn't a solution and think that externalizing things to do with cars as opposed to looking for problems between the steering wheel and the seat will not make real improvements.

carwankersdotexe.jpg

carwankers.JPG

And again, the extra space is to facilitate getting a baby seat in and out of the car NOT because parents have bigger cars or can’t park.

#notallelectriccardrivers

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That’s a footpath outside Hutton & Meade Nissan dealership in airside retail park. The “public” car charger they installed for the showroom is inside their car park/car lot, which has gates they lock when the showroom is closed.

Also I’m not 100% on this, but that’s a private retail park and I don’t think it’s actually a public footpath. Definitely not a cycle path though.

That’s a footpath outside Hutton & Meade Nissan dealership in airside retail park. The “public” car charger they installed for the showroom is inside their car park/car lot, which has gates they lock when the showroom is closed.

Also I’m not 100% on this, but that’s a private retail park and I don’t think it’s actually a public footpath. Definitely not a cycle path though.

Yeah i think since the dublin commuter coalition started doing stuff last year the bike fash accounts have kinda started to weigh in on general pedestarian access. I'd imagine in planning law it'd be a walking access requirement type thing for the park. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it might not be a parking space.

And again, the extra space is to facilitate getting a baby seat in and out of the car NOT because parents have bigger cars or can’t park.
yeah, you often might be able to get out of your car in a normal spot by only half opening the door, but if you're trying to get access to lift a baby in or out, or even do up the straps in a child seat, i suspect this can be challenging if there's another car parked a foot away from you.

Yeah i think since the dublin commuter coalition started doing stuff last year the bike fash accounts have kinda started to weigh in on general pedestarian access. I'd imagine in planning law it'd be a walking access requirement type thing for the park. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it might not be a parking space.
Oh it’s definitely not a parking space, and the car shouldn’t be parked there, but the original tweet’s premise (“something to look forward to all over the place”) is completely false - that specific location is very much an unusual situation.

You may be right there! It's a great aul car I have to say. I have put a good bit of money into in the last few years. I'm not really overly bothered about the scrapes, its more I'm worried it'll get worse sort of thing!

The NCT people only care if there’s a sharp edge or anything or If it’s rusting

I bought a 2016 Mazda 3. In the US the smallest engine that comes with is 2.0L, and the fancy one is 2.5L.
I remembered thinking, huh, odd, I thought reasonable sized cars got 2L, and smaller ones got 1.3, or 1.6 or something. Anyway, them's the options, picked one with a manual gearbox, and pressed on.

Turns out the thing is barely usable in first, and second is nuts. I've ~given up using first, I pull away in second, or third if it's a bit of a downhill. It sits at 60+mph with the engine turning over at 2 grand. And this is a normal day to day car in America to haul your kids about in.

The mileage is ok, but jeeeesus it's fast. I don't hate it or regret buying it, but it's much more of a handful than I was expecting.

Also there's a very easy way to get dents out of the car, just get a small hammer and tap the dent back the other way, simple

C772ewLW0AAxz3H.jpg

Turns out the thing is barely usable in first, and second is nuts. I've ~given up using first, I pull away in second, or third if it's a bit of a downhill.

First is generally not a ratio that matches 2/3/4 because it's there to accommodate towing or extremely steep hills. Granny gear in bike language. HOWEVER you should always step through it, using it just to judge the car up to maybe 8/10 mph.

Why though??

Because the speed being delivered to the clutch in 2nd/3rd is much faster than 1st, so it is going to wear out much faster because you are dragging it from halt with a high rpm. Any modern car will easy spin off in 2/3 but it's a high wear option. 1st should be used to make the car roll essentially, it's one of those car things NOBODY tells anyone, like how traffic lights work.

Enlighten me...and excuse/appreciate the pun
Inductive loops under the road tell the lights that cars are there. Because they were mostly retrofits here you can usually see the scar in the road where they went in. They sense large steel objects and that talks to the lights. That thing taxi drivers do where they go to the most forward position possible at every light is more likely to slow them down than save time.

First is generally not a ratio that matches 2/3/4 because it's there to accommodate towing or extremely steep hills. Granny gear in bike language. HOWEVER you should always step through it, using it just to judge the car up to maybe 8/10 mph.

Why though??

Because the speed being delivered to the clutch in 2nd/3rd is much faster than 1st, so it is going to wear out much faster because you are dragging it from halt with a high rpm. Any modern car will easy spin off in 2/3 but it's a high wear option. 1st should be used to make the car roll essentially, it's one of those car things NOBODY tells anyone, like how traffic lights work.

burned through a clutch in my last work van because i always pull off in 2nd (forgiving diesel). and only used 1st when starting on an incline.
now i have a nice new big van, im definitely starting in first because i dont want to wear out the clutch prematurely. that and its a substantially heavier than the last one

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back