The Thumped Motoring Forum (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 86K
  • Watchers 10
I need a bit of advice. I have a Toyota Yaris that is rather... Scuffed. The garage says its going to cost 700 quid or more to fix this up. The car itself is only worth a grand. I'm nervous it won't pass the NCT in this state or that I'm just going to have to keep pouring money into repairs. Anybody who is good with car stuff have any advice? Here are some pictures of the damage (no crash, just a few tight scrapes and wear and tear.)

IMG-2797.JPG

Attachments

• IMG-2795.JPG
    IMG-2795.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG-2798.JPG
    IMG-2798.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG-2796.JPG
    IMG-2796.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Dents and scrapes shouldn't have any effect on the NCT, unless they're literally hanging off and are causing a hazard. Your damage looks mainly cosmetic, and as long as all doors are opening and shutting properly etc, you should be fine.

700 is a pretty decent price for all that work though 8)

As an aside, don't bother with any pre-nct garage check bollocks. Do the test, and if it fails, just get the things it failed on repaired, the re-test fee is pretty minor.

I've two of those scrapes on my Yaris and it never gets mentioned. Yours are bigger but they look grand tbh. Also +1 what dudley said, much easier spending 50eu to find out its fecked than to spend 700eu to find out its fecked.

one issue might be whether the dents are deep enough to interfere with the window operation - but i couldn't tell you if that would be a problem at the NCT if the windows don't work.

Thank you guys for this! The dents affect nothing in the car - everything is in perfect working order other than it looking like I drove through a ditch. Thanks for putting my mind at ease! Its not a bad price... I'm just wondering am I mad paying it, when the car is only worth 1000 or less...

Well, if you're going to be driving it for years to come, why not? The Yaris is a car that will just go and go.
You may be right there! It's a great aul car I have to say. I have put a good bit of money into in the last few years. I'm not really overly bothered about the scrapes, its more I'm worried it'll get worse sort of thing!

Thank you guys for this! The dents affect nothing in the car - everything is in perfect working order other than it looking like I drove through a ditch. Thanks for putting my mind at ease! Its not a bad price... I'm just wondering am I mad paying it, when the car is only worth 1000 or less...

My current philosophy is that I can just about get a car online for 1500+eu that will have one years NCT on it, so if the yaris is coming in under that every year then I'm hanging on to it.

I think scrapes are only an issue if they are deep enough to expose metal and be a point for corrosion. But if you’re not worried about cosmetics you can buy some paint in a motor store and patch the bits where metal is exposed (if there is any).

And then paint “Cock Piss Partridge” on the side. And then amend that with another colour of paint to say “Cook Pass Partridge”.

I went over mine with black fence paint. (the car is black also)

Its not like you buy one for the looks.

Nearly at 210,000 miles with one big bill since 122,000, did 22,000 of that without being able to afford an oil change.

My opinion that nobody asked for is that those oversize spaces are there because people drive mini vans that they can't park otherwise. I don't think there is any legal backing to it other than paint. Also someone like me with a weather activated chronic pain condition which doesn't satisfy the criteria for a wheelchair space but can mean exposure to the outdoors can be hours of pain looks a lot like one guy in a small car taking a giant parking space. If these pricks drove reasonable cars and could park there would be more spaces.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk. Good morning everyone.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This pricks have you hemmed in rightly there. Hope you don't need to use the car before they do

My opinion that nobody asked for is that those oversize spaces are there because people drive mini vans that they can't park otherwise. I don't think there is any legal backing to it other than paint. Also someone like me with a weather activated chronic pain condition which doesn't satisfy the criteria for a wheelchair space but can mean exposure to the outdoors can be hours of pain looks a lot like one guy in a small car taking a giant parking space. If these pricks drove reasonable cars and could park there would be more spaces.

It’s not the parking problem they’re trying to solve, it’s the having space to get a car seat out problem and the herding cats problem. But if the business isn’t going to enforce them...

Can we talk about fuckers parking at car charging points too?

I always park in those child/family spots at supermarkets (never the disabled ones) when one is available, Because I don’t believe in special treatment for children.
Why should I be penalised for choosing not to have kids yet? My feet fucking hurt too

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back