The Thumped Motoring Forum (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 86K
  • Watchers 10
I got mine last week. I'm hoping it will sit alongside my Potassium Pills, 'Brexit 29 March' badge, and Euro to Punts calculator as curios for future generations to laugh at.

This is cool. Retro-fitting old cars as electric
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is cool. Retro-fitting old cars as electric

There’s lots of these companies I’ve been following lately and Facebook groups and stuff.
Few UK ones closer to home but crazy £££ at the moment

There’s lots of these companies I’ve been following lately and Facebook groups and stuff.
Few UK ones closer to home but crazy £££ at the moment

Also this Irish lad Damien Maguire seems to make converting old BMWs look easy. He has loads of videos up on them

On my continuing "fuck I should buy a car since I'm now a middle aged cunt" adventures, I've veered off the Mazda3 track, and onto an Old Lexus with not that many miles on it track.

The reason I want a car is because I need to haul little people around. I hate the bastarding things. I cycle to work, I cycle to my stupid allotment, I cycle to the shops to buy my booze. I'd use a car solely to herd young-uns, and these are entitled Americans, so they aren't interested in public transport. We've tried that avenue.

So I go onto the car Web sites and do a sort by price, lowest first wha? And see a Lexus430. These things are getting sold with 300k+ miles on them, and they look fine. So they're durable bastards, no?

I went on an internet search, they do appear to be durable bastards. What's more I drove one to North Carolina a while back, and they are amazing. Just floating along, feeling fiiiiine.

So here's the plan, I can pick up one of these beautiful (they're not really beautiful) bastards for less than ten grand. I'm going to go for one with less than 100k miles. I reckon it'll be a top notch entitled American kid hauler. They're about as cool as herpes, but I'm not worried about that.

Explain to me how I'm wrong here.

Yeah toyota's with moderately nicer ('luxury') seats. They do just go and go. Have a look at the chassis, the drivetrain tend to last a very long time, the chassis/body* might be the place you get a surprise, its not too likely but its the least reliable part on a toyota.*

*though the standards supposedly have been dropping off for about ten years.

Yeah toyota's with moderately nicer ('luxury') seats. They do just go and go. Have a look at the chassis, the drivetrain tend to last a very long time, the chassis/body* might be the place you get a surprise, its not too likely but its the least reliable part on a toyota.*

*though the standards supposedly have been dropping off for about ten years.
Yeah.

I've no idea what Lexus is up to these days but I'm looking at yokes from 2004. They just seem solid.

I don't want to seem simple, but how do you look at the chassis? Just crawl underneath with a torch and poke about? Or should I probably find a mechanic to give it a once over?

Yeah.

I've no idea what Lexus is up to these days but I'm looking at yokes from 2004. They just seem solid.

I don't want to seem simple, but how do you look at the chassis? Just crawl underneath with a torch and poke about? Or should I probably find a mechanic to give it a once over?

Well my (much smaller toyota) is actually starting to rust at the petrol cap, its quite visible. if you see any holes, or things that might soon be holes, what mechanics tend to do is try and stab it with a screwdriver and if the screwdriver goes through then it is fucked. Not sure I'd do this to someones elses car, but like anything awful should be obvious enough. A lot of it can be welded anywhoo, its just something to take a look at. If you are from a winter snow area then it might be worse because of all the salt that sticks in there.

what mechanics tend to do is try and stab it with a screwdriver and if the screwdriver goes through then it is fucked. Not sure I'd do this to someones elses car, but like anything awful should be obvious enough.

A guy in the NCT did this to my mate's classic mini. Tempers were lost. Gardai were called. He's banned from that test centre now.

2pm - puncture. Professional repair. €20.
6.30pm - puncture in the same tyre? Time for the spare. Spare rusted on. Had to break the bracket to get the spare off.
8pm - back to work.
Think I've found the Caddy's weak spot - aluminium bracket and steel bolt prone to rust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back