The Thumped Motoring Forum (4 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 86K
  • Watchers 10
Bought a van, disposing of the car relatively soon. First impressions, very chill on motorway, doesn't feel fast which kinda explains the whole van man thing. Fuel tank is rediculously big compared t a car for humans. haphazard camper van project is imminent.

On the story of heartbreaking cars.

The van had some awful problems and my mechanic basically was like 'well, i can take 2500 in repairs off you but i don't want to because i'm afraid i'll find another problem'. I owned for a total one month and ended up scrapping it at a loss of about 2100eu. Had to shelve the camper project and doing the financial wound licking now, but when someone who makes their entire living off fixing broken vehicles is recommending that you don't give them money two months before xmas, its probably best to listen.

Lucky enough i'd not got rid of the car...

On the story of heartbreaking cars.

The van had some awful problems and my mechanic basically was like 'well, i can take 2500 in repairs off you but i don't want to because i'm afraid i'll find another problem'. I owned for a total one month and ended up scrapping it at a loss of about 2100eu. Had to shelve the camper project and doing the financial wound licking now, but when someone who makes their entire living off fixing broken vehicles is recommending that you don't give them money two months before xmas, its probably best to listen.

Lucky enough i'd not got rid of the car...
Thats a bollocks

A friend of mine bought a converted camper with the intention of taking it Cambodia. They brought it to the DOE only to be told the chassis was rusted to fuck and they couldn't drive it. They lost a load of money on it. It's sitting in a garden now as a spare room.

Thats a bollocks

A friend of mine bought a converted camper with the intention of taking it Cambodia. They brought it to the DOE only to be told the chassis was rusted to fuck and they couldn't drive it. They lost a load of money on it. It's sitting in a garden now as a spare room.

Yeah hoping to go all in on one that works in a few month in time for the winter break. once burned twice as stupid.

I almost bought a dodgy car yesterday!

Warning story:

In the used car place, looking over a nice shiny looking Mazda3. It's fooking BALTIC oot, like -10 with the wind howling around the place, my skin's already telling me to fuck off because I've wrecked it cycling all the time.

I take the car out, zoom about the place a bit. Lovely. 2.5 liter, manual gearbox (unusual in the US) very solid feeling car with 50k miles on it. Sound!

Then I go in, the dude is chatting, seems cool. Pakistani guy, we're talking about cricket and shit. I'm not 100%, but this car is probably a grand or more below KBB value, and the guy is telling me they can't move it off the lot because it's a manual gear box and no one wants that in the US. I'm basically believing him, I think this is generally the case, unless you're buying a Porsche or some nonsense. I look over the CarFax report, clean. Great service history.

Back out to the lot, it's dusk now. I haven't bought the car, but I'm basically going back to the gaff to get my checkbook. I decide to have another quick snoop over the car and I notice: the wheel liner has a kink in it. Huh.
Check the other side, basically symmetrical kink on the far side. Just where the liner joins in at the front of the wheel arch. You could fit your finger in the bubble. Huh. Well, it's just a wheel arch liner. We can probably fix that! :)

I go home, and talk to people, take photos, ask how a wheel liner could suddenly not fit the car. Annnd... yup. The reason a wheel liner doesn't fit the front wheel arch is the car's been in a shunt. Not listed, not reported, not fixed properly. Then I noticed the carfax says the mileage is higher than it is sitting in the lot.

So: pricks beware! crawl about under the car, look at everything, swing out of bit that should be solid, look at gaps, look at wonky alignment. And don't rush!

Fuck it. I replaced two burnt out looking bulbs on the rear left, but the light still not working. The indicator is fine, just no brake or reverse lights. Could it be a fuse?
I had the wrong fucking bulb in it. I used a single filament when I should have used a double. Also, for some reason the engine gets really damp. A good blast of WD40 sorts it right out.

can anyone recommend a home breathaliser kit? seems to be a good few out there. Don't know why the government don't make the ones the cops use available to purchase. would surely benefit all parties

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back