• Replies 1K
  • Views 87K
  • Watchers 10
We name our cars:
Demio: The Breezeblock
Polo: Shadowfax
A5: The Kaiser
Superb: The Nostromo

My wife had one of those shitty Mercedes hatchbacks she called The Batch Loaf. A batch loaf handles better though.

My parents have one of those. They are very unicycle on a tightrope to drive.

The removable back seats tho...

Apropos of nothing, the author of this book had a hippy bus called Shadowfax. I felt his loss when it got stolen in North Africa.

marianne faithful said:
‘Captures that hinge moment when everything changed from grey to colour.’ – Marianne Faithfull

Shadowfax..

fax being an out of use word for 'grey'.

gwan marrianne with trolling.

You've all had so many cars!! Because I was relatively late to driving and sentimental - I was holding out for the right Mini - but now I am a little worried that no-one will insure me - though will talk to Sheridans and also that the Mini might cost me a lot of money I don't have! I am always on the bicycle normally, but this was a long-held dream, hopefully it won't resemble a Lynchian dream :LOL:

Even after i crashed padre I was able to get insured. Endless calling.

My 1982 Mercedes w123 coupe is gorgeous to drive but eats petrol. Am trying to Drive more economically in it.
It still needs lots a of work but am going to try do most of it myself where it doesn’t involve welding or engine work.

I call him ‘Wolfgang’ or ‘Wolfy’ for short.
Silver but will be black next year when I get more money saved and this current work done

2001 nissan micra which i learned to drive in. somehow managed to take off from a dead stop in 3rd gear during the test which the instructor didn't seem to notice. we were driving to a picnic day out on an island in the firth of forth the day after the same sex marriage referendum results, singing along to damien dempsey in celebratory mood, when it got rear-ended and written off and we had to miss the picnic, which was obviously a smiting from catholic god for celebrating SSM.

2007 holden barina--had it less than a year before i left the handbrake off on a slight incline and it rolled off and wrapped itself around a very sturdy stone gatepost across the street. the gatepost was absolutely fine, the car was completely creased. it turned out well in the end though because the insurance paid out more than we had spent on it (market value), which was nice.

2008 hyundai getz--looked almost exactly the same as the barina but was meant to be more reliable or something. spent $1000 getting the clutch kit replaced literally the day before a giant prick of an SUV rammed into us while turning across our path as we drove straight through a junction and tried to claim we were at fault. this happened in the middle of adelaide on a friday night, we waited around while police, ambulance and fire engine (or 'ambos' and 'firies' as they're known here) all turned up while i stood there in my slippers as i only popped in to pick himself up from a bar. another write-off--our car was mangled and the SUV barely dented--however all turned out fine once again as the insurance was decided in our favour and we made off with a small profit once again by getting market value instead of what we had paid for it. although the $1000 just spent on it cancelled that out completely...

2001 ford falcon--first car i had that wasn't a compact little runaround type, made me appreciate how easy it had been to park in the previous dinky little cars. i noticed people don't tend to tailgate me so much in this car...apparently it's a 'bogan' car. so maybe people think some mad max type character is going to step out and start a fight. rather than the suburban housewife they might expect to be in the previous three cars. haven't totalled this one yet.

My 1982 Mercedes w123 coupe is gorgeous to drive but eats petrol. Am trying to Drive more economically in it.

It might not be for you (or too damned expensive) but I've been looking at these crew recently

Welcome to Electric Classic Cars

probably some mileage/years you'll keep it/distance equation would probably setlle it pretty fast.

It might not be for you (or too damned expensive) but I've been looking at these crew recently

Welcome to Electric Classic Cars

probably some mileage/years you'll keep it/distance equation would probably setlle it pretty fast.

Was actually researching electrifying it the last week. A VW beetle kit was almost €17k which is totes bananas , but will be hella cheaper in a few y are I’d say.
It’s definitely something I’ll be looking to do long term at some point alright.

Ain’t seen that site before though

@ann post it's proving difficult because the car is over 30 years old, I don't have another car (it's easier to get classic car insurance on a multi-car policy), and have already called 16 places, but I will keep endeavouring!
Can you get insured as a named driver? Use someone's no claims? I had to jump through a few hoops with mine. I can't remember exactly what I ended up doing but Carole Nash sorted it and were very helpful.

@therealjohnny @ernesto I don't think that's an option, but I will look into it and see if someone might be able to help me on their no claims, but unfortunately Carole Nash said they couldn't insure me as I don't have a 'main private car' - it was hard enough for me to save up for one car! :cry:

Gah! I’m lucky enough that ive a work van for mon-fri

@therealjohnny @ernesto I don't think that's an option, but I will look into it and see if someone might be able to help me on their no claims, but unfortunately Carole Nash said they couldn't insure me as I don't have a 'main private car' - it was hard enough for me to save up for one car! :cry:
They allowed me to say my missus' car was the main one. If I remember correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back