The Thumped Motoring Forum (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 87K
  • Watchers 10
Found out last night our local mechanic died last week. Only in his 40s. left behind wife and kids. Lovely fellah aswell.
Also I hope my car didnt kill him

Went up to his garage as herself's car is still there, now over a year. Turns out he's not done .... most of the things we left it in with him for. Chatting to his mechanic mate and gave him all the details and he has to go looking now for all the parts ordered, KEY(!) and then call us. Poor fellah that died had zero organisational skills so he left his garage all over the place

Also my car's head gasket is gone/going;
Losing 1L of coolant every 100km or something and burning oil aswell so that needs doing. €200 of tools and parts and a weekend of DIY ahead of me soon

Went up to his garage as herself's car is still there, now over a year. Turns out he's not done .... most of the things we left it in with him for. Chatting to his mechanic mate and gave him all the details and he has to go looking now for all the parts ordered, KEY(!) and then call us. Poor fellah that died had zero organisational skills so he left his garage all over the place

Also my car's head gasket is gone/going;
Losing 1L of coolant every 100km or something and burning oil aswell so that needs doing. €200 of tools and parts and a weekend of DIY ahead of me soon

Being in my 40's i defintely think i will organise things when i'm older. Poor fellah. Are you gonna do the gasket yourself?

i used to be with them but now they are underwritten by some cunts:

in order to take out a policy i have to submit my other 'daily' policy.
I dont have another policy for a daily / regular car. last time i took out a policy with them a letter from my boss saying i was insured on a company van was enough. apparently that wont do any more which is a fucking nightmare

Last week, halfway between donegal and galway an issue with an injector arose.
TLDR: some fuel goes in the engine, some goes on the ground.
The fuel consumption is WILD. You go up a hill and you might burn out ten miles of diesel in a few seconds.
I was the only person with a car and had to do a run to dublin, a load of donegal commutes and a get back to the west and get to work the past few days.
I think i've topped 250eu in diesel in a week.
Garage booked for the morning.

I cant wait till its over.

I haven't been driving long and hired a car for the first time at the weekend. Requested a small manual to match my own car and ended up being given a massive automatic hybrid despite never having driven an automatic.

Anyway - I will be a bit depressed next time I drive my own car because the hybrid felt more like playing Forza or Mario Kart rather than real life driving.

Last week, halfway between donegal and galway an issue with an injector arose.
TLDR: some fuel goes in the engine, some goes on the ground.
The fuel consumption is WILD. You go up a hill and you might burn out ten miles of diesel in a few seconds.
I was the only person with a car and had to do a run to dublin, a load of donegal commutes and a get back to the west and get to work the past few days.
I think i've topped 250eu in diesel in a week.
Garage booked for the morning.

I cant wait till its over.

I'd kinda guessed but the last repair on it was done slightly wrong and the fix was done for free.

NCT tomorrow ftw.

I haven't been driving long and hired a car for the first time at the weekend. Requested a small manual to match my own car and ended up being given a massive automatic hybrid despite never having driven an automatic.

Anyway - I will be a bit depressed next time I drive my own car because the hybrid felt more like playing Forza or Mario Kart rather than real life driving.

I have never rented a car and gotten even close to the car I asked for. I was in scotland last year and asked for the smallest thing they had because I was going rural and it would suit the roads better. They gave me a giant SUV with more or less delivery miles on it.

on what issues?

Ah a bit of mess. I had that whole engine seal drama last week and then maybe 800 miles to cover over a few days so no time to return to a garage. The check engine light came on which i'm 95% certain is actually just the timed one for the oil change. Anywho because of this light being on the guy couldn't test it for emmissions. Then i'd accidentally left the 6th/7th seats folded and he failed those seatbelts because he didn't want to unfold the seats to check. Rebooked already, garage booked to sort that light out and we'll see. On the basis that i'm on about 550km a week at the minute i'm pretty sure it's absolutely fine.

Ah a bit of mess. I had that whole engine seal drama last week and then maybe 800 miles to cover over a few days so no time to return to a garage. The check engine light came on which i'm 95% certain is actually just the timed one for the oil change. Anywho because of this light being on the guy couldn't test it for emmissions. Then i'd accidentally left the 6th/7th seats folded and he failed those seatbelts because he didn't want to unfold the seats to check. Rebooked already, garage booked to sort that light out and we'll see. On the basis that i'm on about 550km a week at the minute i'm pretty sure it's absolutely fine.
Fucks sake. None of these things indicate the vehicle is unsafe.

I've heard a couple of stories about the rear seatbelt anchors not being visible resulting in a fail, even though it'd be literally less than five seconds for the tester to confirm if they're there or not.

I've heard a couple of stories about the rear seatbelt anchors not being visible resulting in a fail, even though it'd be literally less than five seconds for the tester to confirm if they're there or not.
Yep. My girlfriend took her new (used) car to the NCT and it failed because the rear seat belts (never used) were not sticking out of the holders/holes properly.

Yep. My girlfriend took her new (used) car to the NCT and it failed because the rear seat belts (never used) were not sticking out of the holders/holes properly.
How often does it happen that the rear seatbelts have been removed? I’ve been in cars where they don’t actually buckle but I’ve never seen a missing one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back