The Thumped Motoring Forum (1 Viewer)

Cornu Ammonis

Supporter
Contributor
Threads
Website
brainwashed.com
The only time I’d ever start in 2nd is when there’s heavy snow. Wouldn’t have thought that many of you would be mad for the clutch-burning.

flashback

Threads
First is generally not a ratio that matches 2/3/4 because it's there to accommodate towing or extremely steep hills. Granny gear in bike language. HOWEVER you should always step through it, using it just to judge the car up to maybe 8/10 mph.

Why though??

Because the speed being delivered to the clutch in 2nd/3rd is much faster than 1st, so it is going to wear out much faster because you are dragging it from halt with a high rpm. Any modern car will easy spin off in 2/3 but it's a high wear option. 1st should be used to make the car roll essentially, it's one of those car things NOBODY tells anyone, like how traffic lights work.

You know what. Fucking thank you ann post.

OK. I'd really started getting in the habit of pulling away in 2nd, or third even. I'll stop that now. Fooking sending love heart emojis your way.

I did know how traffic lights worked... but only because I drove bikes my whole life. Often there's not enough iron (?) metal (?) in bikes to deflect the field those coils generate, so the lights won't notice you. Then you end up having to break them or wait for a car because they never get triggered to change.

The solution is to get those insane magnets and throw one or two onto your frame, well, something iron on the bike let's say. (The frame is usually Alu these days.) At a certain point the field becomes enough that it triggers the (liberal) traffic lights.

flashback

Threads
what is this "clutch" you speak of?

automatic FTW
The whole gears on cars thing is stil a bit of a strange one for me.

I couldn't drive a bike without a gearbox and clutch though, because i have some base need to brutalize momo bike gearboxes instead of touching the back brake. But momobike's bits are all in the right place. The gear lever is in exactly the right place, clutches are clearly meant to be operated by hand, just like brakes. Because all of these things are correct on bikes you don't have to spend any more time thinking about it. It all just works out.

Putting the bits in the wrong place, where cars put them, is a conspiracy by the Big Car Industry to cause crashes and sell more cars.

I like these reverse cams though. I'll give the Big Car Industry that one.

magicbastarder

Threads
Website
stroma.org
i never knew pulling away in second was 'a thing'.
also, i believe some traffic lights have light sensors - i.e. they can detect car headlights at night.that could have been learned during a pub conversation, so adjust for reliability.

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Threads
Website
thumped.com
i never knew pulling away in second was 'a thing'.
also, i believe some traffic lights have light sensors - i.e. they can detect car headlights at night.that could have been learned during a pub conversation, so adjust for reliability.
I thought the light sensors thing was to detect oncoming emergency vayhickles.

flashback

Threads
i believe some traffic lights have light sensors
I'd assumed a lot of those yokes were cameras for keeping an eye on things. Or doin a bit of the aul shpyin.

Over in Britland they love their cameras.

A couple of years back the... I dunno FBI? Some gang of lunatics had a blimp, like a big fuck off blimp over by Baltimore for doing a bit of spying. Like, you'd be driving past it, clear as day, wondering what they hell a massive blimp is doing hovering over you. Look it up, and sho'nuff, spying.

Edit, just looked them up to make sure I wasn't imagining things:

Sadly for all concerned they didn't work out as planned.

Lol. Exactly zero people saw military blimps hovering over their gaff and thought "ah yes, I feel safe now".

magicbastarder

Threads
Website
stroma.org
I'd assumed a lot of those yokes were cameras for keeping an eye on things. Or doin a bit of the aul shpyin.
on the way home yesterday i spotted what i saw what i think had been described to me as the light sensor (a wedge shaped device attached to traffic lights), and i'm almost certain it's actually the speaker for pedestrian crossings, for the audible warning for the blind and partially sighted.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create a thumped.com account. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

We're listening to...

• I Can Walk Through
    Seacat
    The Dinah Brand
    I Can Walk Through
  • The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place
    Memorial
    Explosions In The Sky
    The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads